Applications 2019

Sigaba

Checking back in. Since I got my first acceptance, I've been rejected from three schools - two of them just today - and I'm not feeling very confident about Rutgers, since three acceptances have already been posted. Anyone have any insight?

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Checking back in. Since I got my first acceptance, I've been rejected from three schools - two of them just today - and I'm not feeling very confident about Rutgers, since three acceptances have already been posted. Anyone have any insight?

I'm wondering if I should just call it at Rutgers as well. 

Just now, historygeek said:

I'm wondering if I should just call it at Rutgers as well. 

I really don't want to (Rutgers is my dream school AND my partner has already been accepted there) but I'm wondering if we just should. :( 

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I really don't want to (Rutgers is my dream school AND my partner has already been accepted there) but I'm wondering if we just should. :( 

Also... sitting here feeling sorry for myself and I get an email acceptance from Brandeis. It helped to put things in perspective.

21 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Also... sitting here feeling sorry for myself and I get an email acceptance from Brandeis. It helped to put things in perspective.

Congrats on Brandeis! The fact that you have Pitt in green in your signature scares me every time I see it! Hope we don't have to wait too long to hear back from them.

Edited by villageelliot

3 minutes ago, villageelliot said:

Congrats on Brandeis! The fact that you have Pitt in green in your signature scares me every time I see it! Hope we don't have to wait too long to hear back from them.

Sorry!!! haha I'll let you know as soon as I know. And if you have any questions about Pittsburgh, I've lived here nearly my entire life :D 

30 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Congratulations! It certainly has been an eventful day for you! It might not even be over just yet.  

7 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Sorry!!! haha I'll let you know as soon as I know. And if you have any questions about Pittsburgh, I've lived here nearly my entire life :D 

Thanks! I didn't get a formal interview but I had an hour long skype call with my two POI's back in October before I applied, so I imagine in the event they wanted to interview me they'd just use that for reference rather than set up another call. In any case, I expect (hope) acceptances will come out next week or the week after. 

2 minutes ago, villageelliot said:

Thanks! I didn't get a formal interview but I had an hour long skype call with my two POI's back in October before I applied, so I imagine in the event they wanted to interview me they'd just use that for reference rather than set up another call. In any case, I expect (hope) acceptances will come out next week or the week after. 

I hope so too!

1 hour ago, Historiker said:

Hey everybody! I received an informal acceptance from a DGS today, telling me they recommended me to the GS, that they hope I consider their program, and that visiting details will follow. How would you recommend responding? Paging @urbanhistorynerd since you mentioned corresponding with a POI after an informal acceptance. Thank you everybody for the help and best of luck!

So basically, you're admitted - unless you've lied on your application or something crazy. Congrats! I would just say be yourself. Express your thanks, your interest, and ask any questions on funding, the program, etc. Be genuine, especially if this is going to be your pick. The DGS would probably expect you to be very happy and that it will show in your email. Also, don't feel obliged to tell them that you committed to the program (if you did). Say you are very seriously considering and are very thankful to recieve the opportunity - and maybe that this program is the top on your list or something. 

Congratulation once more!

@VolozoIt's not my top choice but I'd still like to know sooner than later. I heard that it's a bit of a transdisciplinary program which I am not too keen on. Did you already have someone particular als POI in mind? Looking at last years results there are not too many admits,do you have any info how many new students they admit each year?

1 hour ago, Jericho said:

Do you know how many interviews Pitt gave?

5 minutes ago, Aithera said:

Do you know how many interviews Pitt gave?

I don't. And I don't know if they even considered the interview I had as a formal interview or just preliminary, with my POI. 

I got accepted to Binghamton's MA program this morning. So far, I've been accepted to four programs which is exciting, but I am on the wait list for funding for two of them and no word on the other two. It is stressful to think that I probably won't know if I will receive any funding until April and maybe not even until the very last day, April 15th. I don't know how I'm suppose to make a decision by then when funding is such an important part of it. 

I am trying to set up a campus visit at University of Oregon, my top choice. Unfortunately, my faculty advisor will be out of the country when I am able to visit. This might be a dumb question, but will I still be able to get a good idea about the program if I am not able to meet my advisor? Should I reach out to my advisor through e-mail?

Also, should you let the programs know if they are your top choice or is that frowned upon? I know I'll be holding off on accepting anything in hopes that I hear something from UO about funding. 

Good luck everyone! 

17 minutes ago, andnothing said:

I got accepted to Binghamton's MA program this morning. So far, I've been accepted to four programs which is exciting, but I am on the wait list for funding for two of them and no word on the other two. It is stressful to think that I probably won't know if I will receive any funding until April and maybe not even until the very last day, April 15th. I don't know how I'm suppose to make a decision by then when funding is such an important part of it. 

I am trying to set up a campus visit at University of Oregon, my top choice. Unfortunately, my faculty advisor will be out of the country when I am able to visit. This might be a dumb question, but will I still be able to get a good idea about the program if I am not able to meet my advisor? Should I reach out to my advisor through e-mail?

Also, should you let the programs know if they are your top choice or is that frowned upon? I know I'll be holding off on accepting anything in hopes that I hear something from UO about funding. 

Good luck everyone! 

My adviser was out of town during my campus visit so I'm empathetic to your situation. Set up phone calls/skype convos with them and go in with a list of questions. During the visit, focus on speaking to potential comps/dissertation committee members, the GPC, grad program staff (SUPER important) and as many of your POI's grad students as possible. To be quite honest, it was my adviser's grad students who clinched it for me because they gave insight into her advising style (also super important--what kind of adviser do you want? Someone hands off? Someone who lets you determine how much advising you need? Someone who is all up in your project? Weekly, monthly, quarterly meetings?).  They can also give info on where your POI's past grads landed jobs.

You can totally make an informed decision without meeting your POI in person--other than how you vibe with them. A phone conversation or two will help you determine if the vibe is off.

1 hour ago, Anama said:

@VolozoIt's not my top choice but I'd still like to know sooner than later. I heard that it's a bit of a transdisciplinary program which I am not too keen on. Did you already have someone particular als POI in mind? Looking at last years results there are not too many admits,do you have any info how many new students they admit each year?

Haha it's actually my top choice for that reason! That, plus the fact that they're strong in my area (20th C). In regards to a POI,  I spoke briefly to Matthew Hersch. How about you?

I'm afraid I have no idea about their admission numbers! It's quite a large department, so I imagine they must admit slightly more students than, say, Princeton HOS

2 minutes ago, Volozo said:

Haha it's actually my top choice for that reason! That, plus the fact that they're strong in my area (20th C). In regards to a POI,  I spoke briefly to Matthew Hersch. How about you?

I'm afraid I have no idea about their admission numbers! It's quite a large department, so I imagine they must admit slightly more students than, say, Princeton HOS

Hersch is also my POI. You haven't heard any news yet either, right? It seems that last year, most acceptances were sent out on the  14th and 15th...

From what I heard, they actually have been admitting close to 10 people per cohort (to even out some years when a lot of people ended up declining their offer).

1 hour ago, andnothing said:

Congrats on the admits! I got admitted to UO as well, and will be at the campus visit in March, even though I am still waiting to hear back from other programs before I commit. My experience with the department so far has been very warm, so I would say feel free to send them an email with any questions you have.

1 minute ago, Volozo said:

@spacealienphilosophy

Nope, haven't heard anything at all.

Seems that we have similar research interests then :) 

Wow that's quite a large cohort size! Do you know anything about how many applicants they tend to get? I was under the impression that there only about 40 of us HOS people, so that would make the admission rate quite high.

We probably do! :)

I'm actually not sure - I always imagined it would be quite a lot, but I never looked into it! Let us know if you hear anything... I'm just obsessively refreshing the results page, as one does.

3 minutes ago, Volozo said:

@spacealienphilosophy

Haha, me too (and having a heart attack over every new email notification)

Good luck to everyone! If the person who was admitted sees this, would you mind sharing what your sub field is?

Hi! Just created an account so I could post. It's been so helpful to read this thread so I feel like I should start contributing! I'm the person who was admitted yesterday. My subfield is more social history of medicine/public health focusing on the Progressive Era, so it sounds a bit different from yours and @spacealienphilosophy. Don't have any more information than that unfortunately, but I'm wishing you both the best!