Applications 2019

Sigaba

18 minutes ago, Rekishishu said:

I am waitlisted by Northwestern on February 1. The DGS e-mailed me that there was no enough funding for me. Northwestern is actually my first choice. How much chance do I have to get an offer?  So anxious.

I was admitted to Northwestern in January, but I am planning to turn down my offer soon (tickets to Chicago from where I am located are very expensive and I cannot afford the upfront costs to attend to the visit weekend, unfortunately). I am guessing (from your username) your field is also Japanese history, so perhaps when I turn down my offer you will come off the waitlist!

Edited by potsupotsu

1 hour ago, potsupotsu said:

tickets to Chicago from where I am located are very expensive and I cannot afford the upfront costs to attend to the visit weekend, unfortunately

Just generally, tell the DGS this is it's a problem. They'll usually be able to help.

2 hours ago, potsupotsu said:

I was admitted to Northwestern in January, but I am planning to turn down my offer soon (tickets to Chicago from where I am located are very expensive and I cannot afford the upfront costs to attend to the visit weekend, unfortunately). I am guessing (from your username) your field is also Japanese history, so perhaps when I turn down my offer you will come off the waitlist!

Thank you so much for your information!! and congratulations to your admissions.

Actually, I mentioned both modern Chinese and Japanese history in my Statement of Purpose. I hope I can hear some good news soon!

16 hours ago, latecalifornia said:

DGS. was told it's not uncommon for potential students to move off the wait list but not much more than that 

Same--I'm trying to figure out if there's a departmental-wide waitlist or different lists for Americanists, Medievalists, etc. Best of luck to us! 

21 hours ago, daradara said:

I'm well aware of this. I went to an Ivy school, I am currently surrounded by Ivy-bred faculty very intimate with the scholars at the Ivy departments, and I have actually met all the faculty in my field at Harvard, worked with them on projects, etc. It is not contempt for them as people or their scholarship, but I am just not personally attracted to the department or what they are doing at moment. Clearly, they felt the same about me (and they had discussed this with me prior), and I do not take it as them having contempt for me or my project.

The point that I'm trying to communicate is that historians may interpret the kinds of comments you're making much differently than you intend. They may double check their interpretations with each other; it's less likely that they're going to get to the heart of what you're saying or advise you that you're stepping on your crank in a way that resonates immediately.

20 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

The point that I'm trying to communicate is that historians may interpret the kinds of comments you're making much differently than you intend. They may double check their interpretations with each other; it's less likely that they're going to get to the heart of what you're saying or advise you that you're stepping on your crank in a way that resonates immediately.

Yes, I realize that. It is what it is, and much bad blood boils in academia--perhaps more than you even know. I appreciate that you have no doubt dispensed a great amount of useful advice here on this forum, and I also understand the concept of taking the onus on oneself to prevent issues, but I do think that people who claim to be intellectuals should comport themselves in a manner befitting of their title in cases of potential misunderstandings. Call me an idealist perhaps.

22 minutes ago, daradara said:

Yes, I realize that. It is what it is, and much bad blood boils in academia--perhaps more than you even know. I appreciate that you have no doubt dispensed a great amount of useful advice here on this forum, and I also understand the concept of taking the onus on oneself to prevent issues, but I do think that people who claim to be intellectuals should comport themselves in a manner befitting of their title in cases of potential misunderstandings. Call me an idealist perhaps.

Ok.

Edited by Sigaba

On 2/14/2019 at 7:51 AM, ssmall1 said:

Thanks! I got my email this morning (as I was driving actually, almost rear-ended someone lol). What’s your subfield? 

A belated congratulations to you! My subfield is 19th and 20th century U.S. labor and working-class history. Yours? 

12 hours ago, Karou said:

Yes, I can confirm that Duke's visiting days are next week (February 26-28), @Carltonjacobs!

If by UT, you meant UT Austin, perhaps @fordlandia can enlighten you. :)

If you are talking about UT Austin @Carltonjacobs, then the campus visits are scheduled from February 23rd-25th! ?

For those of you who have been offered admission to a program and have either accepted an offer or are fairly certain you will accept: Have you had any contact with you POI beyond the initial notification that you've been offered admission? I have an offer and had some contact with my POI before I applied, and even one brief e-mail after my application was submitted (I was inquiring as to where I might find something he mentioned writing, turned out it was not yet published, explaining why I could not find it), but nothing since. Should we be waiting until we officially start or should we already be creating some kind of plan or direction? Personally, I am completing my MA in May and entering a PhD program in the fall, so I am trying to remain focused on my thesis and my current university, but I'm also a planner who wants to know exactly what to expect in the fall!

I did reach out to a PhD candidate at the university I plan to attend, just to ask about the graduate student community and some basic expectations, but I always want to have as much information as I possibly can!

3 minutes ago, DanaJ said:

For those of you who have been offered admission to a program and have either accepted an offer or are fairly certain you will accept: Have you had any contact with you POI beyond the initial notification that you've been offered admission? I have an offer and had some contact with my POI before I applied, and even one brief e-mail after my application was submitted (I was inquiring as to where I might find something he mentioned writing, turned out it was not yet published, explaining why I could not find it), but nothing since. Should we be waiting until we officially start or should we already be creating some kind of plan or direction? Personally, I am completing my MA in May and entering a PhD program in the fall, so I am trying to remain focused on my thesis and my current university, but I'm also a planner who wants to know exactly what to expect in the fall!

I did reach out to a PhD candidate at the university I plan to attend, just to ask about the graduate student community and some basic expectations, but I always want to have as much information as I possibly can!

I just accepted an offer moments ago. Once you officially accept an offer, you should receive information shortly regarding registration and next steps. As far as a "plan or direction," are you referring to letting your POI know that you will be attending the program? I would definitely let your POI know if you made your decision. 

Just now, mediumatcha said:

I just accepted an offer moments ago. Once you officially accept an offer, you should receive information shortly regarding registration and next steps. As far as a "plan or direction," are you referring to letting your POI know that you will be attending the program? I would definitely let your POI know if you made your decision. 

I haven't officially accepted anything, I still have one decision pending from TCU, but I am fairly confident in what I intend to do. "Plan or direction" that I refer to is more a question of what should I be doing in the summer season to prepare myself to enter the program. Should I already be doing research? Should I be working as much as possible at a summer job to save money? I emailed the DGS with questions regarding transcripts because I was given "conditional acceptance pending official transcripts" and wanted to be sure that I was supposed to send officials after my MA was complete, not immediately. Beyond an email with the DGS, I have not spoken to my POI and am not sure what the proper course of action is at this point in the process.

Looks like Yale HSHM results are coming out today. I was rejected, which wasn't a surprise; Yale was the most tenuous fit for my research interests and was the application I decided to do at the "last minute" (September).

I know a handful of folks here are waiting on those results. I have my hopes up for you!

3 minutes ago, Balleu said:

Looks like Yale HSHM results are coming out today. I was rejected, which wasn't a surprise; Yale was the most tenuous fit for my research interests and was the application I decided to do at the "last minute" (September).

I know a handful of folks here are waiting on those results. I have my hopes up for you!

Wish I could "dislike" your post without having to down downvote it. ? Still holding out hope for Cornell. ?

3 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

I officially accepted my offer to Berkeley in US History. I hope this opens a spot up at Rutgers and possibly NYU! It feels wild to know I will finally begin my PhD in a few months. ?

Congratulations :) I wonder if Rutgers has already notified those on the wait list that they are on the wait list. I've seen acceptances from them but no wait list results or rejections. 

12 minutes ago, Balleu said:

"last minute" (September)

I only decided I want to apply in early October, lol. Think it was my downfall too. Wishing you luck with Cornell and Northwestern!

25 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Congratulations :) I wonder if Rutgers has already notified those on the wait list that they are on the wait list. I've seen acceptances from them but no wait list results or rejections. 

I have seen rejections but I haven't seen anyone post about a waitlist. I hope that you get in!!

Just now, mediumatcha said:

I have seen rejections but I haven't seen anyone post about a waitlist. I hope that you get in!!

Thanks! It's my #1 choice so I'm still pretty nervous. 

26 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Has anyone heard from NYU?

8 minutes ago, elx said:

No!!! and it's driving me nuts! aaaaa!!! There's been acceptances occasionally on the results page. If you hear something, please let me know ?

Nothing on my end either ? Judging from the results page from last year, they used to send out interview invites in late-January/early-February so it might be a no from them. Fingers crossed for all of us though!