Applications 2019

Sigaba

18 hours ago, urbanhistorynerd said:

Got waitlisted at UMD as an "alternate for funding and admission." Nice but my blood shines crimson now. Has anyone else heard back from UMD? I specifically applied to work with David Freund.

Freund was my POI back in the day :) isn’t he fantastic? You should contact the GPC and let them know UMD is one of your top choices (or top choice if it’s true), and you look forward to hearing from them so you can make an informed choice among the offers you’ve already received. Let them know you have offers—this will apply incentive for them to work it out if they really want you.

13 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

How did you withdraw your application? I didn't see an option on the portal like there is for other schools. I'd like to withdraw mine as well

I just emailed the DGS of the program I was admitted to and let them know I wasn't accepting the offer. I would recommend that you do the same. Probably sooner rather than later. People on wait lists would appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, fortsibut said:

I see an acceptance for Cornell was posted yesterday (20th).  Bets on whether it's legitimate, a troll, or an art history PhD who typoed?

There's been a couple more now, seems legit. I saw them and instantly thought of you -- it took me a couple moments to remember I'm waiting to hear from Cornell too, looks like I'm more invested in your application than my own lol.

They've been notified by email, so there's still hope. Rooting for you!

11 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

I just emailed the DGS of the program I was admitted to and let them know I wasn't accepting the offer. I would recommend that you do the same. Probably sooner rather than later. People on wait lists would appreciate it. 

This advice only applies once you've been admitted. At this stage in the month I wouldn't be pre-emptively declining offers from schools that you haven't heard from at all. 

5 hours ago, elx said:

There's been a couple more now, seems legit. I saw them and instantly thought of you -- it took me a couple moments to remember I'm waiting to hear from Cornell too, looks like I'm more invested in your application than my own lol.

They've been notified by email, so there's still hope. Rooting for you!

That's so nice of you, thank you!  Hopefully we'll all get Cornell acceptances over the next day or two!  ?  Hoping it's just a matter of POI's sending emails out at their own rate and mine being busy atm!

On 2/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, historygeek said:

I meant to post this earlier, but I got the notification while on my way to see Hamilton.... I got my second acceptance! I was accepted into the MA to PhD program in American history at SLU. I emailed the program director to see if a switch into the early modern history program was possible and will probably ask my current faculty mentor (who does some very interesting work) about possibly working with me for a masters. 

I honestly didn't expect to have to weigh two options, but I'm so glad I have to! 

Have you heard about funding from Villanova? Which school are you leaning toward at the moment? 

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

That's so nice of you, thank you!  Hopefully we'll all get Cornell acceptances over the next day or two!  ?  Hoping it's just a matter of POI's sending emails out at their own rate and mine being busy atm!

I looked through all of the past years and it appears that it is always done through the POI, and that it seems to happen over a stretch of a few days due to the variability inherent in having them announce the decision personally. I am going to guess that they have until Monday to make the e-mail, and rejections will probably come out then. 

2 hours ago, OHSP said:

This advice only applies once you've been admitted. At this stage in the month I wouldn't be pre-emptively declining offers from schools that you haven't heard from at all. 

For some reason, this was really funny, especially the second sentence.

1 hour ago, daradara said:

Have you heard about funding from Villanova? Which school are you leaning toward at the moment? 

I haven't heard yet, but the program admin said to reach out if I haven't heard by the 26th (and the program director said I should find out by the end of the month)! I'm honestly not sure where I'm leaning at the moment. They're both great programs.

3 hours ago, OHSP said:

30 minutes ago, psstein said:

It reminds me of  "You can't fire me, I quit!" ?

Hey guys, 

I'm a third-year in a PhD program and I lurk on these forums every year...

Quick advice - as you turn down offers, please remember that if you've done your legwork properly, these are probably big names in your field that you will continue to see and cite for years to come. I turned down an offer three years ago and continue to email that professor regularly. In fact, she reviewed my comps list for me! 

All this is to say, please keep in mind that academia is a small small world. If you liked these people enough to apply to work with them, you probably want to be able to come back to them over the years. 

Good luck to everyone! You're almost there!

Edited by wluhist16

8 hours ago, psstein said:

I feel like I'd really enjoy a slow video montage of the same set of applicants pre-emptively declining offers for grad school, grants, post-docs, and then tt jobs over a 15 year period. 

Hi, bitter grad student here to implore you to ask about sixth-year funding on your visiting weekends. Don’t accept vague reassurances along the lines of “well, sixth-year students often find their way to getting funding somehow.” Get a clear answer. Talk to advanced grad students and read the student newspaper/union newsletter if you have to. And treat periods of “austerity” at universities with the utmost seriousness.

4 hours ago, OHSP said:

I feel like I'd really enjoy a slow video montage of the same set of applicants pre-emptively declining offers for grad school, grants, post-docs, and then tt jobs over a 15 year period. 

There's a Simpsons-esque quality to it.

2 hours ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

Hi, bitter grad student here to implore you to ask about sixth-year funding on your visiting weekends. Don’t accept vague reassurances along the lines of “well, sixth-year students often find their way to getting funding somehow.” Get a clear answer. Talk to advanced grad students and read the student newspaper/union newsletter if you have to. And treat periods of “austerity” at universities with the utmost seriousness.

This is great advice. It's very worth noting that most students do not finish in five years, whether from coursework/institutional inertia/etc.

6 hours ago, OHSP said:

For the record, I was not being arrogant. Since I have already accepted an offer from another program and many universities have a literal "withdraw application" button on their portals, one might understand the well-intentioned nature of inquiring about taking my name out of the hat. 

5 hours ago, mediumatcha said:

For the record, I was not being arrogant. Since I have already accepted an offer from another program and many universities have a literal "withdraw application" button on their portals, one might understand the well-intentioned nature of inquiring about taking my name out of the hat. 

Sorry--wasn't meant as a personal dig. Every time I apply for anything I spend months on the verge of sending a stream of emails all to the effect of, "ACTUALLY DON'T WORRY GUYS I'LL TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR". 

Edited by OHSP