Applications 2019

Sigaba

2 hours ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Just been notified that I have been waitlisted for Georgetown! Considering my only other communications have been rejections, I don’t feel too bad about it. 

This is new to me - Is there anything I need to do? Eg. Should I write a response, or is it possible to request my ranking on the waitlist if I contact admission? 

Yes, I recommend you write to request your ranking (if there is one). This will give you a better idea of whether you actually have a chance of being accepted. You could even ask (or find on the website)  the total number typically matriculated,  which put in relation to the number of offers typically given would also give you a good idea of your chances. Many History departments will do waitlist by sub-field rather than ranking, but in the case it probably means that you are either the A or B alternate for your field. Good luck!

Finally got the Harvard HoS rejection as well! Not to be overly dramatic, but that "Unfortunately, enrollment of new students is limited to a small number who are qualified for admission" line is just... is so badly phrased, it really makes it easier to not feel disappointed about not getting in. We all know that far more qualified people apply than they can admit - there is zero reason to phrase it this way, other than optics. Congrats to the admits tho!

Edited by spacea

3 hours ago, spacea said:

Finally got the Harvard HoS rejection as well! Not to be overly dramatic, but that "Unfortunately, enrollment of new students is limited to a small number who are qualified for admission" line is just... is so badly phrased, it really makes it easier to not feel disappointed about not getting in. We all know that far more qualified people apply than they can admit - there is zero reason to phrase it this way, other than optics. Congrats to the admits tho!

Sorry to hear about the rejection. I totally agree with your assessment of that line, by the way. I am  stunned by what some of these schools choose to go with. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they meant "qualified" in the sense that enrollment is limited to the small number who have been chosen for admissions, but that seems a bit too redundant to be true... either way not a good look!

11 hours ago, historykeeno said:

Does anyone know if UC Davis has sent out of all of its offers? I'm expecting a rejection, but interested to know if they ever accept from waitlist?

Davis has, indeed, sent out offers and the prospective student visit has been scheduled. You should contact the GPC if you haven't heard whether you're on the wait list as well as to express your interest in the program if you have (and if you are still interested). Cohorts are generally quite small, so not sure how likely an acceptance from the wait list is, but it's always possible!

7 hours ago, daradara said:

Yes, I recommend you write to request your ranking (if there is one). This will give you a better idea of whether you actually have a chance of being accepted. You could even ask (or find on the website)  the total number typically matriculated,  which put in relation to the number of offers typically given would also give you a good idea of your chances. Many History departments will do waitlist by sub-field rather than ranking, but in the case it probably means that you are either the A or B alternate for your field. Good luck!

Thank you and @Balleu for your advice! I’ve emailed them, so fingers crossed it’s hopeful news! I’d all but give up hope on doing grad school in the US so I really hope this works out! 

Also, congrats @historygeek! You must be so pleased! X

21 hours ago, youngblood79 said:

@mediumatcha, out of curiosity and if you don't mind sharing, which programs did you withdraw your admission offer? What's the response you received? And what's your area of study? 

I declined admission to Rutgers PhD in African-American History. I received a very positive response from my POI-- wishing me luck at the program of my choice, suggesting a history association to join, and hope to work together in the future. I am waiting on NYU (same field) because I'm not sure if I should preemptively withdraw. 

Thank you, @fortsibut and @Ccthomas95! I'm over the moon. I expected partial funding from VU given my not-stellar stats, but the program director specifically mentioned that the committee was impressed by my writing sample. 

I have until April 15 to decide, but I'm hoping to make a decision by the time that I could register for classes at Villanova. I had been heavily leaning towards their program, so this really solidified that lead. It looks like Toronto decisions have gone out, and the MA programs at Columbia and NYU probably wouldn't give me a full tuition scholarship. I'm just worried about it being too early to make a decision I think. 

Edited by historygeek

3 hours ago, historygeek said:

Thank you, @fortsibut and @Ccthomas95! I'm over the moon. I expected partial funding from VU given my not-stellar stats, but the program director specifically mentioned that the committee was impressed by my writing sample. 

I have until April 15 to decide, but I'm hoping to make a decision by the time that I could register for classes at Villanova. I had been heavily leaning towards their program, so this really solidified that lead. It looks like Toronto decisions have gone out, and the MA programs at Columbia and NYU probably wouldn't give me a full tuition scholarship. I'm just worried about it being too early to make a decision I think. 

Don't worry about course registration yet! It'll take a while for the bureaucracy to get you set up after you've accepted the offer- probably not even until May or June.

I'd take an offer that puts you in the least amount of debt while giving you the most support for coursework, language training, and MA research.

the MA programs at Columbia and NYU probably wouldn't give me a full tuition scholarship. 

And you'd have to pay NYC rent on top of that. Not worth it. VU sounds like a great option.

Right now I have two choices for an EM World focus, so I have to compare departmental focus on multiple regions. Here's the problem: School A has a significantly stronger focus on region X,  but they work on modern/contemporary and don't use the methods I need. School B has a weak focus on that region, but the expert there has interests that are significantly closer to my own. She is also the director of a relevant national institute. I'm worried that although School A has great regional expertise, in the long run their faculty would not end up being as interested in my project or as helpful. Any thoughts on this?  

1 hour ago, gorgogliante said:

And you'd have to pay NYC rent on top of that. Not worth it. VU sounds like a great option.

Right now I have two choices for an EM World focus, so I have to compare departmental focus on multiple regions. Here's the problem: School A has a significantly stronger focus on region X,  but they work on modern/contemporary and don't use the methods I need. School B has a weak focus on that region, but the expert there has interests that are significantly closer to my own. She is also the director of a relevant national institute. I'm worried that although School A has great regional expertise, in the long run their faculty would not end up being as interested in my project or as helpful. Any thoughts on this?  

Truthfully, if those faculty members weren't interested in your questions, you would not have been accepted.  They must have interest in it -- talk to them and see how they respond.  Ask about courses, exams, and support for research funding.  If they aren't excited to tell you, say adios to them.  it IS a challenge to be an EM in a department full of modern historians and you're always going to be defending your methods.  But you will NOT be the only one-- you will be engaged with other EMs dealing with similar challenges.  I certainly don't think it's hopeless as, say being an ancient historian.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

@historygeek Congratulations on the funding? Did you get the tuition scholarship or the Graduate assistantship? I got the tuition scholarship, which is not bad at all.

I also got the tuition scholarship, but I applied for a graduate assistantship in the graduate office as well! The program director said that they can't offer a stipend with the tuition scholarship, but given that all of the classes are once a week and at night and the duties to the history dept. are only 7 hours a week, she stressed that a lot of people do get jobs, usually on campus. 

After thinking about it a ton and talking about it to my parents, I think I'm going to accept the Villanova offer. There's a lot of flexibility in the program, good research opportunities, and I would be able to work on my languages. Plus, the full tuition scholarship is nothing to sneeze at. 

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Truthfully, if those faculty members weren't interested in your questions, you would not have been accepted.  They must have interest in it -- talk to them and see how they respond.  Ask about courses, exams, and support for research funding.  If they aren't excited to tell you, say adios to them.  it IS a challenge to be an EM in a department full of modern historians and you're always going to be defending your methods.  But you will NOT be the only one-- you will be engaged with other EMs dealing with similar challenges.  I certainly don't think it's hopeless as, say being an ancient historian.

Thanks for the advice. You're right, I need to wait until my visit to gauge their interest/the program fit.  My visits are a month apart which is also influencing my perspective right now.  When I've met with both sets of faculty and students I'll probably have a clearer sense of where to go.  

15 hours ago, historygeek said:

It looks like Toronto decisions have gone out, and the MA programs at Columbia and NYU probably wouldn't give me a full tuition scholarship. I'm just worried about it being too early to make a decision I think. 

Did you apply for the MA program at U of T? It seems like historically those acceptances have come out in the first few days of March (and the school just had reading week, so I wouldn't be surprised if not too much info has been coming out this past week).

Congratulations on your acceptances!

Hi y'all !

Has anyone heard from Brandeis or the University of Iowa for phd history? I just saw a few offers on the dashboard and I'm starting to feel very anxious! 

I would assume that it looks bad for me if some got wait listed and some other accepted to those two schools right? I'm actually an international student and it's quite hard for me to understand how everything works. 

By the way, Houston has sent out its offers for PhD history.

Also, congratulations to all who have been accepted to some of the schools they applied to ! :D 

9 hours ago, Justine83 said:

Hi y'all !

Has anyone heard from Brandeis or the University of Iowa for phd history? I just saw a few offers on the dashboard and I'm starting to feel very anxious! 

I would assume that it looks bad for me if some got wait listed and some other accepted to those two schools right? I'm actually an international student and it's quite hard for me to understand how everything works. 

By the way, Houston has sent out its offers for PhD history.

Also, congratulations to all who have been accepted to some of the schools they applied to ! :D

I was accepted to Brandeis, you can DM me with any questions and I'll see if I can help.

20 hours ago, hermione123 said:

Has anyone heard from UCSB for phd history? Just saw two offers on the dashboard?

I'm also waiting on them, but haven't heard anything. After I saw those offers posted in late Jan./early Feb. I sent an email to the coordinator, who replied saying that admission decisions would be ongoing through April. No word about wait lists or anything. At this point I just want to hear anything (or so I tell myself).

I know that @TexasTiger had also applied at Villanova, but for anyone else who may have been accepted: I emailed the program director about language opportunities and the stipend doesn't cover undergrad language courses, but a lot of history/grad students will unofficially take language courses. Apparently the undergrad language professors are usually happy to have "dedicated graduate students" in their classes. 

I know that @TexasTiger had also applied at Villanova, but for anyone else who may have been accepted: I emailed the program director about language opportunities and the stipend doesn't cover undergrad language courses, but a lot of history/grad students will unofficially take language courses. Apparently the undergrad language professors are usually happy to have "dedicated graduate students" in their classes. 

But be aware that taking language courses not for credit will eat up more of your time.  See if you can arrange some sort of "independent study" credit so you're not taking more courses than necessary, especially your first semester.

I was away without access to a computer last week so couldn't post the news when I got it, but thrilled to say that I was accepted into Cornell! The PhD in History (Ancient History) result is mine. Still in shock, I never expected to get in!

3 minutes ago, Nicator said:

I was away without access to a computer last week so couldn't post the news when I got it, but thrilled to say that I was accepted into Cornell! The PhD in History (Ancient History) result is mine. Still in shock, I never expected to get in!

I'm so happy for you!!  Congrats!  ?  Hopefully I'll join you there next year!