Applications 2019

Sigaba

51 minutes ago, Karou said:

Amazing news @fordlandia, congratulations!

On my end, I've officially committed to Duke, feels good to know where I'll be going! Now I get to do fun stuff like Visa paperwork. Yay. ;)

Sounds like the visit weekend went well then, congrats!! Hope you love it!

9 minutes ago, elx said:

Sounds like the visit weekend went well then, congrats!! Hope you love it!

Thank you, it really did go well! I'm still a little jet lagged and it hasn't really sunk in yet, but I am genuinely thrilled. Duke is definitely the best possible place for me to get my PhD. :)

Got a funded offer from QMUL last night, and then an offer from the University of Oxford this afternoon! Still waiting to hear about funding for Oxford, but I’m absolutely thrilled - they are my first acceptances!

3 minutes ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Got a funded offer from QMUL last night, and then an offer from the University of Oxford this afternoon! Still waiting to hear about funding for Oxford, but I’m absolutely thrilled - they are my first acceptances!

Congrats, that's amazing!! You've applied for the PhD for both, right? :) 

24 minutes ago, Ccthomas95 said:

That's fantastic, congratulations! Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Oxford ! :)

21 hours ago, fordlandia said:

Thank you so much! Curious, are you planning on attending Temple?

I'm going to hold out a glimmer of hope for Penn, but I already am an adjunct at Temple so it is likely I will stay on here. I like the environment and faculty and it's a great place for interdisciplinary and multicultural study.

Has anyone been accepted to a program and expected funding, but not heard details yet? My top choice program assured me that they do not take anyone that they can’t fund, but when I heard from the DGS he told me “we are still making final decisions regarding funding.” I assume that meant placement decisions (TA, research assistant, fellowships with various local historical sites), but I’m starting to worry! I have not heard in almost a month. I emailed to check in and did not hear back, but it has only been one day since I sent the email.

2 hours ago, Karou said:

Amazing news @fordlandia, congratulations!

On my end, I've officially committed to Duke, feels good to know where I'll be going! Now I get to do fun stuff like Visa paperwork. Yay. ;)

Thank you @Karou and congratulations on accepting Duke! ?

7 minutes ago, LethalIntent024 said:

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

I see you are new to the site - this is the history forum, so you will probably find an answer on the Psychology forum:

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/8-psychology/

That NYU rejection really got me.

I was prepared to be rejected, but when I opened the decision and saw "we are pleased to inform you..." I got so excited before reading "admission to the Master's program in world history." Sorry, but I don't have $60k to spend. That's kinda a big reason why I applied directly for PhD programs...

48 minutes ago, LethalIntent024 said:

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

Wrong thread I’m afraid. You might wanna check clinical psych forums for this info. 

ETA: Whoops, didn’t see that @fordlandia already answered above! 

Edited by ssmall1

Thank you @fordlandia, it's definitely a great feeling to have made the decision, and to go somewhere I'm very excited about! I'm assuming your visit went well also! Do you think you'll go to UT Austin?

@elx, I meant to comment on that earlier but it slipped my mind, in regards to your 1-year program dilemma, if you do get into Oxford, I know it's possible for MSt students to transfer into the two-year program (I'm assuming since you're an Americanist you've applied to the History program (?) which also has a 2-year track. They've revamped the programs recently so it's a bit confusing, they used to have separate programs for European and American history), so that could be a possibility for you. Of course, adding one year to your MA is also a significant financial decision so taking a year out could be the better option!

Just now, Karou said:

Thank you @fordlandia, it's definitely a great feeling to have made the decision, and to go somewhere I'm very excited about! I'm assuming your visit went well also! Do you think you'll go to UT Austin?

@elx, I meant to comment on that earlier but it slipped my mind, in regards to your 1-year program dilemma, if you do get into Oxford, I know it's possible for MSt students to transfer into the two-year program (I'm assuming since you're an Americanist you've applied to the History program (?) which also has a 2-year track. They've revamped the programs recently so it's a bit confusing, they used to have separate programs for European and American history), so that could be a possibility for you. Of course, adding one year to your MA is also a significant financial decision so taking a year out could be the better option!

The visit went very well - was floored with the number of resources the university has for graduate students. I definitely plan on accepting the offer once things settle down. Curious, after this taxing application season, how are you feeling about accepting Duke's offer?

1 minute ago, fordlandia said:

The visit went very well - was floored with the number of resources the university has for graduate students. I definitely plan on accepting the offer once things settle down. Curious, after this taxing application season, how are you feeling about accepting Duke's offer?

That's wonderful to hear, so happy for you! I'm feeling good, but tired, and having a hard time readjusting with my rhythm here, but I think that's just a case of being tired from travelling, as I just got back on Sunday and I still have no idea what day it is haha. Overnight flights are a good idea in theory... but yeah not so much in practice. It's also the last week of term here so things are moving fast!

I've probably said this several times already, but if I were a more organized person I would have applied to different schools than I did (Emory, Vanderbilt and NYU come to mind) but I still think I would have ended up at Duke no matter what, so I definitely feel very good about my decision. No regrets, nothing but enthusiasm over here. :)

I'm mostly just glad that part of the process is over! How are you feeling?

56 minutes ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

That NYU rejection really got me.

I was prepared to be rejected, but when I opened the decision and saw "we are pleased to inform you..." I got so excited before reading "admission to the Master's program in world history." Sorry, but I don't have $60k to spend. That's kinda a big reason why I applied directly for PhD programs...

Some (not all) MA students do seem to have funding--not a stipend, but they're not paying tuition. It might just be worth looking into how MA students fund themselves--I wouldn't call NYU's MA program a cash cow, a lot of MA students are very integrated (for serious want of a better word) into phd classes/the phd "community" and professors do take MA students and their dissertations very seriously--there have been two instances where I didn't actually realize that someone was a masters student until they were like "I got into PhD programs". In other words, it's a real admission and a sign that they actually do just think you'd be better suited for a PhD once you've done an MA/would like to work with you and help you get there. 

Edited by OHSP

9 minutes ago, OHSP said:

Some (not all) MA students do seem to have funding--not a stipend, but they're not paying tuition. It might just be worth looking into how MA students fund themselves--I wouldn't call NYU's MA program a cash cow, a lot of MA students are very integrated (for serious want of a better word) into phd classes/the phd "community" and professors do take MA students and their dissertations very seriously--there have been two instances where I didn't actually realize that someone was a masters student until they were like "I got into PhD programs". In other words, it's a real admission and a sign that they actually do just think you'd be better suited for a PhD once you've done an MA/would like to work with you and help you get there. 

Thanks for the info! At face value it did seem like a cash cow to me so I'm glad to know that's not quite the case. However the decision was very specific, in fact it mentioned in two places, that there is no financial aid. Perhaps I misunderstood? It said "While our master's program does not offer financial aid or teaching opportunities..." and then later on "We regret to add that there are no fellowships or scholarships available to you through the Graduate School or your program."

Based on that, is there another avenue students use to avoid paying tuition? Or do they in fact offer aid to some students and I just didn't get it? I could find a way to support myself if tuition was less of an obstacle.

6 minutes ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Thanks for the info! At face value it did seem like a cash cow to me so I'm glad to know that's not quite the case. However the decision was very specific, in fact it mentioned in two places, that there is no financial aid. Perhaps I misunderstood? It said "While our master's program does not offer financial aid or teaching opportunities..." and then later on "We regret to add that there are no fellowships or scholarships available to you through the Graduate School or your program."

Based on that, is there another avenue students use to avoid paying tuition? Or do they in fact offer aid to some students and I just didn't get it? I could find a way to support myself if tuition was less of an obstacle.

I'm actually not entirely sure but I would ask if you can be put in touch with current MA students, who will have a better idea. Just from the website there's this (below)--that might be how students are funding themselves--though the website does seem a little incorrect to me (even with an MA we're all funded for 5 years for the phd, for instance). 

"The Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages students to apply for external grants and provides matching tuition points (from 50 to 100 percent) to eligible recipients of external awards from recognized, academic sources of funding outside NYU.  For applications and specific details about TIP eligibility criteria, please visitwww.nyu.edu/gsas/Admissions/tipform.html.  New York University offers several loan programs to students.  Information is available at www.nyu.edu/financial.aid or at the Office of Financial Aid, 212-998-4444. 

The GSAS/CAS Tuition Program: Qualified CAS students graduating in 2009 or later who complete the admissions application process and are admitted to the master's programs in History (World History, Archives and Public History, or History of Women and Gender), as well as the BA/MA program, in the term immediately following the year of their graduation from CAS, will be eligible to receive a 25% tuition discount for courses required for the degree program."

1 hour ago, OHSP said:

I'm actually not entirely sure but I would ask if you can be put in touch with current MA students, who will have a better idea. Just from the website there's this (below)--that might be how students are funding themselves--though the website does seem a little incorrect to me (even with an MA we're all funded for 5 years for the phd, for instance). 

"The Graduate School’s Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) encourages students to apply for external grants and provides matching tuition points (from 50 to 100 percent) to eligible recipients of external awards from recognized, academic sources of funding outside NYU.  For applications and specific details about TIP eligibility criteria, please visitwww.nyu.edu/gsas/Admissions/tipform.html.  New York University offers several loan programs to students.  Information is available at www.nyu.edu/financial.aid or at the Office of Financial Aid, 212-998-4444. 

The GSAS/CAS Tuition Program: Qualified CAS students graduating in 2009 or later who complete the admissions application process and are admitted to the master's programs in History (World History, Archives and Public History, or History of Women and Gender), as well as the BA/MA program, in the term immediately following the year of their graduation from CAS, will be eligible to receive a 25% tuition discount for courses required for the degree program."

Thanks for that information! Based on this it seems like it's a lot of work to get funding for their MA, and considering I have a funded MA offer already (should nothing positive happen with the 2 schools I'm waiting on plus 1 on the wait list for PhD) I'll probably turn down the NYU offer. I really appreciate your input though!

On the topic of “cash cow masters” - thoughts on a William and Mary MA (one year program)? I’m an early americanist, so being attached to and having an assigned apprenticeship at the W&M Quarterly seems like a good connection; in addition, the MA students are totally integrated with the PhD students, so I’m optimistic... but as more conversation on this thread and other areas of the history forum surrounds “cash cow masters programs” I’m second-guessing myself a bit. For added context, their funding package gives a small stipend for the apprenticeship and an out-of-state tuition waver.

Edited by thisisnew
Clarity

9 minutes ago, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Thanks for that information! Based on this it seems like it's a lot of work to get funding for their MA, and considering I have a funded MA offer already (should nothing positive happen with the 2 schools I'm waiting on plus 1 on the wait list for PhD) I'll probably turn down the NYU offer. I really appreciate your input though!

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't make sense to turn down a funded MA (also as an early Americanist W&M is awesome), it's good to know options though--and also good to know when the offer of an MA is more than just an invitation to help fund the phd program. 

Edited by OHSP

2 minutes ago, thisisnew said:

On the topic of “cash cow masters” - thoughts on a William and Mary MA (one year program)? I’m an americanist, so being attached to and having an assigned apprenticeship at the W&M Quarterly seems like a good connection; in addition, the MA students are totally integrated with the PhD students, so I’m optimistic... but as more conversation on this thread and other areas of the history forum surrounds “cash cow masters programs” I’m second-guessing myself a bit. For added context, their funding package gives a small stipend for the apprenticeship and an out-of-state tuition waver.

What would be the costs? Can't quite tell if you're saying that it'd be tuition free. If you don't have to pay tuition and thus don't have to go into huge debt, William and Mary is a great school that's likely to prepare you well for phd applications. 

4 minutes ago, OHSP said:

What would be the costs? Can't quite tell if you're saying that it'd be tuition free. If you don't have to pay tuition and thus don't have to go into huge debt, William and Mary is a great school that's likely to prepare you well for phd applications. 

Out of state tuition cut down to instate, plus a stipend from the apprenticeship to help a little too. 

Cuts the cost to ~$12,000 from what would have otherwise(absolutely no funding) been ~$34,000