Applications 2019

Sigaba

Just now, eks933 said:

First of all, congratulations! is this a Canadian MA program? If you don't mind sharing, I'm really curious about what university has a two year MA. I'm an undergrad at McGill and ours (as well as UofT and UBC I believe) is only one year. 

Thank you :) 

UBC. It's two years if you are also a TA (which it seems like most people are) but can be done in twelve months if you aren't. 

9 hours ago, daradara said:

@TsarandProphet @Dark Paladin @potsupotsu @HardyBoy

Thoughts on the Yale visit? (If you made it) 

I had a great time on my Yale visit, though I'm HSHM, so I know it was a little different. The students and faculty I met were all warm and the intellectual environment seemed exciting. But then, that has been true of my other campus visits, too, so decisions are tough!

Hey guys, if I'm on a waitlist should I take it as a good or bad thing that I haven't heard anything thus far/have not been invited to prospective student day? It's been radio silence on their end after I sent follow up emails confirming my interest and commitment in the program. It's UVA and its my absolute dream department to work with

1 hour ago, eks933 said:

Hey guys, if I'm on a waitlist should I take it as a good or bad thing that I haven't heard anything thus far/have not been invited to prospective student day? It's been radio silence on their end after I sent follow up emails confirming my interest and commitment in the program. It's UVA and its my absolute dream department to work with

Basically don't take it as anything yet, people are still making decisions about their offers, you might just be waiting on someone to officially turn down their place. I don't think waitlisted students are usually invited to prospective students days--the waiting part is tough but it'll end soon!

25 minutes ago, Ccthomas95 said:

Just got my rejection from NYU. Saw it coming a mile off, but it’s still disappointing. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Yeah me too. I wasn't expecting anything after the wisdom dropped by current students about admitted students' days having happened weeks ago, but once again, the email rolled in when I was least expecting it -- I've been drunk on wine for a couple hours, completely off the thought of apps or gradcafe. This happened with all of them; never when I was refreshing the results page, or checking the portals. I think that's some powerful messaging that it's less than pointless to chase up the application status, and it's a proper waiting game.

Nevertheless, I'm amazed at the brilliant people I've met through this forum over the season, and I've felt a lot of joy for you guys as you got accepted, and shared your campus visit etc stories. It's been a huge learning experience -- thank you all who have shared your journey, congrats to the admitted and for those who were less lucky, much like NYU, I 'wish you the greatest success in your future endeavors'! ❤️

Edited by elx

Is there anyone accepted to the PhD program at UC Davis, History who has heard about funding or has info about funding? I have another offer at hand from McGill, which is a fully funded PhD and I was still holding out for Davis because my POI in Davis is one of the top historians of my specialization. The letter of offer said funding details will follow soon, mid-march but then I have to accept/reject the offer before that! I have already taken an extension till 15th but now am at my wit's end, I have emailed my POI who said funding info has not yet been decided. Is there anyone who can help me with this decision? Does the UC Davis, History program offer full funding for 5 years, or not?

4 hours ago, IndianGirl2019 said:

Is there anyone accepted to the PhD program at UC Davis, History who has heard about funding or has info about funding? I have another offer at hand from McGill, which is a fully funded PhD and I was still holding out for Davis because my POI in Davis is one of the top historians of my specialization. The letter of offer said funding details will follow soon, mid-march but then I have to accept/reject the offer before that! I have already taken an extension till 15th but now am at my wit's end, I have emailed my POI who said funding info has not yet been decided. Is there anyone who can help me with this decision? Does the UC Davis, History program offer full funding for 5 years, or not?

Is it UC Davis that is requiring you to commit that early or McGill? I would be very surprised to hear of a PhD program requiring you to commit to their program before informing you whether or not funding is available. 

Edited by Gotya64

1 hour ago, Gotya64 said:

Is it UC Davis that is requiring you to commit that early or McGill? I would be very surprised to hear of a PhD program requiring you to commit to their program before informing you whether or not funding is available. 

I'm sorry I was abit disturbed while typing. McGill wants me to commit.

Edited by IndianGirl2019

3 hours ago, Gotya64 said:

CC @ashiepoo72

9 hours ago, IndianGirl2019 said:

I also got into UC Davis and have yet to hear about funding. We have until April 15, to make the decision, though. Did McGill tell you only March 15? That's totally weird.

From what I understand, UC Davis History definitely offers full funding for 5 years. They reiterated that multiple times during our visit.

12 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I also got into UC Davis and have yet to hear about funding. We have until April 15, to make the decision, though. Did McGill tell you only March 15? That's totally weird.

From what I understand, UC Davis History definitely offers full funding for 5 years. They reiterated that multiple times during our visit.

Thanks for the info. I was unable to make it to the campus visit since I am an international student, but yes, March 15th is too early. In fact, I had been given the date of accepting the McGill offer as March 1st, so I had to take an extension. I have no clue what to do now because initially, my POI at Davis had suggested we'll get the offers by the first or second week of March.

@IndianGirl2019 they told us mid-March during the visit. If I were you, I think I would just reach out to Davis and explain the situation. They can probably give you more details, even if they can't give the official offer yet. The current students were very confident that everyone gets five years of funding.

Hi all UC Davis admits, never fear—everyone gets 5 years of funding. This is through a variety of means (readerships, TAships, fellowships, continuing student small fellowships etc). Feel free to PM me if you want more info. If you’re serious about Davis, I’d be happy to discuss (one-on-one) how to get the funding you need to attend.

Dont hesitate to contact the GPC for info—she’s amazing and helpful and lovely. 

8 hours ago, IndianGirl2019 said:

Thanks for the info. I was unable to make it to the campus visit since I am an international student, but yes, March 15th is too early. In fact, I had been given the date of accepting the McGill offer as March 1st, so I had to take an extension. I have no clue what to do now because initially, my POI at Davis had suggested we'll get the offers by the first or second week of March.

Definitely contact your the GPC at Davis and explain your situation. She’ll do her best to help you figure everything out.

I see that NYU has sent out some rejections, but has it sent out *all* its rejections? It's March 19th, so I'm presuming the total lack of communication is reflective of an oncoming rejection, but it just seems odd that I've heard nothing at all at this point given that others were rejected more than a week ago. 

On 3/18/2019 at 2:00 PM, I_Am_In_Paine said:

Not sure if anyone is still reading this but I've been accepted to William and Mary's PhD off their waitlist! I couldn't be happier!

That's such great news! Congratulations!! :)