Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gradschoolprobs

Time length to make decisions?

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I've been on a waitlist for about 2 weeks now. When can I expect to hear the next update? How many days/weeks are accepted people given to decide on an offer? I recall that for my Masters I was given 10 days to decide. How is it for PhD programs? Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gradschoolprobs said:

Hi everyone, I've been on a waitlist for about 2 weeks now. When can I expect to hear the next update? How many days/weeks are accepted people given to decide on an offer? I recall that for my Masters I was given 10 days to decide. How is it for PhD programs? Thank you!

Most programs (nationally) provide the option to decide until April 15th.  Some programs differ, but for the most part this is what universities have agreed upon.   You will likely have all the way until, if not slightly past, that time to hear back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ternwild said:

Most programs (nationally) provide the option to decide until April 15th.  Some programs differ, but for the most part this is what universities have agreed upon.   You will likely have all the way until, if not slightly past, that time to hear back.

Thank you! Does this also apply for non-American programs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gradschoolprobs said:

Thank you! Does this also apply for non-American programs?

That is simply the timeline agreed upon on US universities.  That said, you are absolutely in your right to email/call the department you're waitlisted on and find out when their deadline is, plus you're able to ask when you're likely to hear back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

That is simply the timeline agreed upon on US universities.  That said, you are absolutely in your right to email/call the department you're waitlisted on and find out when their deadline is, plus you're able to ask when you're likely to hear back. 

Thank you! I'll give this a try next week or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gradschoolprobs said:

Thank you! I'll give this a try next week or so.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Good luck!

Btw, is it a good sign if POI still responds to my email? I had asked about waitlist movement which POI said has not heard but fingers crossed? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gradschoolprobs said:

Btw, is it a good sign if POI still responds to my email? I had asked about waitlist movement which POI said has not heard but fingers crossed? Thanks!

I'd argue that's a neutral sign.  It means the POI doesn't know and can't do much about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.