so i called to find out...

frankdux

university of arizona, applied math

i called earlier today to find out the status of my application. the lady on the end of the phone said "i see your name on the list. you should be receiving an email from the head of the department in the next day or two."

i didnt have it in me to ask "what list is this? the acceptance list, the waitlist list, the rejections list?" UGGGHHHH!!!!

if they dont give you an answer over the phone does that typically mean they dont give answers for any decision over the phone? or it was definitely rejection and they dont have it in them to give rejections over the phone? or did i misinterpret what she said and "the list" meant i am in?

does an email from the head of the department typically mean something good? or do letters of rejection typically come from the head of the department as well?

i'm gonna beat myself to death thinking about this over the next day or so.

thoughts? comments? similar experiences to share? Thanks.

I don't want to give you false hope. With that out of the way, if her exact words were, "I see your name on the list," that implies somethign positive or at least neutral to me. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but if she said "THE list," I think of at least the wait list...

I am sorry, I do not know the answer to your question. At least you're about to get a response from there. I'm still waiting on 14/15 schools and I am not expecting anything soon (I'm also going into applied math, by the way).

Thanks for telling me this. I have a friend who applied to Arizona's Applied Math Program (his top choice) so I was able to let him know to expect something soon. And good luck, sir.

That sounds like good news to me. I'm also applying to that program, so I hope I'm on "the list" too! :)

why dont you do us both a favor and call and find out. that way we can figure this out by reason.

1. if we are both on "the list" then they probably don't tell people results over the phone. (since 3 or 4 of us on this board applied to the same program and no one has gotten results back either way)

2. if they tell you right away if you are or are not accepted instead of telling you that you are on "the list". then i'd most likely have the opposite result of you.

(oh yeah, and i still haven't gotten an email back. the person said 1 or 2 days which would imply saturday. but do professors do this kind of stuff on saturdays?)

Thanks for telling me this. I have a friend who applied to Arizona's Applied Math Program (his top choice) so I was able to let him know to expect something soon. And good luck, sir.

That sounds like good news to me. I'm also applying to that program, so I hope I'm on "the list" too! :)

i have found NOTHING regarding last year's procedures. but the procedures in 2006 according to the 2 people on this site who posted info from then is that there were interviews in the last week of january and then acceptances given out in the first week of march. here's where i found that out:

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php ... na&t=a&o=p

unless they changed their procedures and/or timeline i am leaning towards a rejection at this point since i haven't been contacted in anyway at all. in fact, in one of my emails with the graduate coordinator a few months ago, she said they would start looking at applications at the end of january (which would correspond to initial interviews at the end of january like in 2006) and i sent in my application back in november.

however, if the two of you guys (i quoted you) also have not been interviewed or contacted by now and you are both very strong candidates and we dont feel that its likely that all 3 of us could have been rejected then perhaps they did in fact change their procedures.

also, the woman lied to me when telling me they would contact me in a day or two. they have not contacted me and i kind of expected that too. additionally, this makes me lean even more towards rejection. wouldn't they want to contact their accepted students as soon as possible? isnt this about the time that acceptances and rejections should be rolling in?

Arizona's Applied Math program has sent out invitations to a graduate student open house day in mid March, although I haven't heard word as far as accept/reject yet. (I don't know if this is new information for you, though.)

Arizona's Applied Math program has sent out invitations to a graduate student open house day in mid March, although I haven't heard word as far as accept/reject yet. (I don't know if this is new information for you, though.)

sent out invitations to people who applied? if so, when?

have you applied? if so, have you heard anything at all from the department since applying?

sent out invitations to people who applied? if so, when?

have you applied? if so, have you heard anything at all from the department since applying?

I applied in mid-January and was contacted about the graduate student workshop on February 14th. There was no indication of acceptance or rejected, only that the department had received my application. I've been in contact since then about arranging flights. I know Arizona has interviews, although I don't know if this 'workshop' is, in fact, an interview; it sounds more like a department open-house.

I applied in mid-January and was contacted about the graduate student workshop on February 14th. There was no indication of acceptance or rejected, only that the department had received my application. I've been in contact since then about arranging flights. I know Arizona has interviews, although I don't know if this 'workshop' is, in fact, an interview; it sounds more like a department open-house.

ah ok. i understand.

i submitted my application back in november i think. they just told me they start going over applications in late january. i know one of the other posters here just got an email about an interview tonight from the head of the department. so i'm expecting either an interview or rejection in the next few days.

good luck!

If they are still contacting people, I wouldn't worry too much in your case, especially if you are on 'the list.' (Although I have no idea what this 'list' is, I don't think the secretary would have told you anything unless it was going to be good news.)

Thanks, and good luck to you also!

Get drunk, or go have a spa day. You're even more wound up than I am!

I mean, you really only have two options: 1) give them another call, if you dare, or 2) wait it out as patiently as humanly possible.

This whole process is a pain in the keister.

You want a story on lists, I got one for you. I called a program and just asked when decisions will be made since I have an offer on the table from another school. She told me I was #21 on a list of about 200...and I have to wait until next week until they count how many grad students will not be on campus next year to figure out how many TAships they can offer....they day I called, she said it looked like 20...so I miss it by one, but she said it may be 21 or 22. Talk about stress!

To top it off, I can't even stay on the waitlist if I don't get in because I received a specific fellowship from another school whose deadline is april 4th...and get this...the school that I am ranked #21 has its visitation day on April 4th!

So yeah...I hate lists...

I'd guess "the list" = the list of people with complete applications. So, I don't think it's good news or bad news.

i agree. but seeing as how others have gotten interviews already, i've pretty much been rejected. why can't they just tell the rejectees sooner?

Frank, take a deep breath and let it go. Honestly. You're going to bust a vein. I realize the waiting and pondering and second-guessing is difficult, but you certainly aren't the first to have to wait. As to the "why can't they..." questions, well, I'd point out that the profs are sifting through files and making difficult decisions while still teaching and researching. Admissions work is on top of their regular jobs, which are pretty time-consuming as it is. I figure, if they're taking awhile, they're being thorough and trying not to neglect their current students. That says good things about the program, too. While this decision is probable the very most important thing to you right now, it's one of many (and perhaps not the most important) on their radar. That's as it should be. They aren't evil or toying with you. It's really not about you at all.

In the meantime, remember that almost all of us are still waiting for decisions.