NSERC C/PGSD 2019-2020

J0n

At least two people in my department have received acceptances. I haven’t been expecting good news since Friday, but I think it’s looking quite bad now. 

It is disrespectful that they don’t bother sending notifications to everyone, though, if this is on purpose. There just aren’t that many applicants. 

23 hours ago, Elli_056 said:

Does anyone know how successful it is if you get waitlisted? I.e. is there any hope of getting it still even on waitlist?

So I spoke to my department again, and they told me that out of 15 people in our department who applied this year, 3 got a scholarship and 2 others got waitlisted. So if you are waitlisted, it still means you did pretty good. They also told me that there is a fair chance of getting it if you're waitlisted, depending on your position on the list. 

From UBC emailed my G+PS they told me that only students who have been awarded have been notified so currently I have not been offered a scholarship. As more students accept or decline their awards, more students will be notified. But this doesn’t mean I’m wailtlisted as she doesn’t have any information about the alternate list she told me NSERC didn’t inform us of the waiting list just the students who have the offers. That’s why I’m so surprised how people in other institutions know they are waitlisted?????

3 hours ago, cryoAlex said:

I asked my graduate scholarship office and was rejected. They said to expected something official from NSERC soon. 

I am in Electrical too ... nothing from NSERC or school... should I assume rejection.. have any Electrical Students got an email?

It's really frustrating that NSERC just couldn't be bothered to notify people of their decision at the same time as the acceptances. I'm assuming rejection at this point, but being kept in the dark like this is driving me crazy.

2 minutes ago, nr2b said:

It's really frustrating that NSERC just couldn't be bothered to notify people of their decision at the same time as the acceptances. I'm assuming rejection at this point, but being kept in the dark like this is driving me crazy.

My grad office said that anyone who did not receive an email was not successful and more information on our ranking will be mailed to us. 

2 minutes ago, Elli_056 said:

My grad office said that anyone who did not receive an email was not successful and more information on our ranking will be mailed to us. 

Wow, that's harsh :(. At least last year, I received a decision of rejection at the same time as most people received a decision of acceptance.

NSERC really dropped the ball on this one. The least they could do is tell people as soon as they are releasing decisions.

3 minutes ago, spin_ice said:

Wow, that's harsh :(. At least last year, I received a decision of rejection at the same time as most people received a decision of acceptance.

NSERC really dropped the ball on this one. The least they could do is tell people as soon as they are releasing decisions.

Yeah, I'm less than impressed.... Thanks to everyone who posted anything they knew here though - I would've been so lost otherwise. For some reason I thought being a direct applicant to NSERC would mean less bureaucratic confusion but turns out it's just no communication at all lmao

19 minutes ago, spin_ice said:

Yea I would have been much happier if they could have sent an email on the 28 saying "offers of funding will be sent by email to succesful applicants on March 29. Non succesful applicants will be mailed information about their rankings"

People at UofT have received decisions from NSERC, but unlike some other universities the SGS people aren’t saying anything about wait lists or rejections. Anyone at UofT who hasn’t gotten an offer email from NSERC is just waiting (like me) for the letter in post. Based on the number of successful applicants I know about in my department already I’m not at all hopeful there’s room for one more. 

30 minutes ago, Hopefulpuppy said:

Still nothing. Did anyone receive the decision from UofT?

No updates, I also contacted our grad office and they haven’t heard anything either.  they said we have to wait a little longer!!

1 hour ago, Hopefulpuppy said:

Still nothing. Did anyone receive the decision from UofT?

Yep, my supervisor (somehow) found out before I did and it's a reject. I'm in Physiology.

Does anyone know how the waitlist work? Are everyone ranked together, or is it by department/institution/committee? So e.g. if a biology student at UBC declined their scholarship and I'm in physics at McGill and am next in line on the overall ranking, do I get the scholarship? Or does a student in my department/institution/committee have to decline and only then I get the scholarship? 

16 minutes ago, Lisbethx said:

Does anyone know how the waitlist work? Are everyone ranked together, or is it by department/institution/committee? So e.g. if a biology student at UBC declined their scholarship and I'm in physics at McGill and am next in line on the overall ranking, do I get the scholarship? Or does a student in my department/institution/committee have to decline and only then I get the scholarship? 

I think its definitely at least by committee cause that's how we were ranked, but I don't know about the institution balance... 

Dear NSERC Doctoral Scholarships applicant,

The results of the 2019‐20 NSERC Doctoral Scholarships (PGSD and CGSD) have been released to universities. NSERC is notifying candidates of their results via email and regular mail. If you do not receive your result from NSERC by the end of next week, please contact NSERC to confirm your current contact information.