NSERC C/PGSD 2019-2020

J0n

Sorry to hear that - I guess this means anyone who hasn’t heard back yet will likely be rejected or wait listed (myself included).  Feels like they only cared enough to notify successful candidates and a few unlucky rejections by email this year (from what we’ve seen on this forum).

A friendly advice to all the folks here ... try to avoid applying independently... the chances are extremely slim ... just look at previous years results... I did it myself few years ago and I also didn't get it ... then a I had a second look and discovered this wasn't a good idea based on the successful independent numbers ... this is just ny opinion I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, SamECE said:

A friendly advice to all the folks here ... try to avoid applying independently... the chances are extremely slim ... just look at previous years results... I did it myself few years ago and I also didn't get it ... then a I had a second look and discovered this wasn't a good idea based on the successful independent numbers ... this is just ny opinion I could be wrong.

Yes, they only allocate 10% of the awards to direct application

7 hours ago, cchu said:

I was rejected yesterday as a direct applicant as well. Looking back at the numbers it appears you’re onto something here. Unfortunately I didn’t have a choice as I wasn’t registered at the deadline but will heed this advice and apply through McGill next year. Cheers everybody.

10 hours ago, SamECE said:

Unfortunately for mature students this is their only option. 

20 minutes ago, grad_school_round2 said:

Exactly. I’m a working professional taking a leap of faith (and severe pay cut) to get back into research so didn’t have any other options this year. Better luck next year to everyone else in similar situations!

I’ve appreciated everyone’s input on this forum over the past couple of weeks. Take care all!

3 hours ago, RockHound said:

I was rejected yesterday as a direct applicant as well. Looking back at the numbers it appears you’re onto something here. Unfortunately I didn’t have a choice as I wasn’t registered at the deadline but will heed this advice and apply through McGill next year. Cheers everybody.

It is on the stats. http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/NSERC-CRSNG/FundingDecisions-DecisionsFinancement/ScholarshipsAndFellowships-ConcoursDeBourses/index_eng.asp

Apparently U of T has the highest chances to get the award.

2 hours ago, grad_school_round2 said:

I think you just need to first enroll in the PhD program with a university. I worked for a while before returning to school.

Edited by cchu

12 hours ago, cchu said:

Do you have a reference for this? Or is this based on your own statistics? Because if this is true, then being a 'direct' applicant to NSERC has a clear disadvantage if they only have a shot at 10% of the awards. This is not clearly stated on their website (or perhaps I didn't look too hard!)

Looking at 2017, only 15 direct applicants (at foreign universities) were awarded a CGSD with a total of 329 available awards...

Just now, saugaboy said:

Do you have a reference for this? Or is this based on your own statistics? Because if this is true, then being a 'direct' applicant to NSERC has a clear disadvantage if they only have a shot at 10% of the awards. This is not clearly stated on their website (or perhaps I didn't look too hard!)

Looking at 2017, only 15 direct applicants (at foreign universities) were awarded a CGSD with a total of 329 available awards...

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/2016StatsScholarships_e.pdf

congrats to everyone who heard good news. For those of you that didn't, keep your chin-up. If you are pursuing research you're passionate about, then the money or the awards shouldn't matter. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but keep doing you and continue pushing hard for what you believe in. Eventually, the awards will come but if they don't immediately, the fruits of your research is the main award. 

4 minutes ago, saugaboy said:

other than this, the school u are affiliated with also matters. apparently u of t got the highest chance.

1 hour ago, cchu said:

It looks like the percentages of applicants vs awarded are pretty comparable for each category, based on this data.

Not registered at a foreign institution: 38% awarded PGS D or CGS D

Registered at a foreign institution: 46%

Registered at a Canadian institution: 41%

Also even though more applicants are awarded PGS D or CGS D from U of T, they have a higher quota and the percentage awarded is still around the average percent for Canadian institutions (42% awarded at U of T).

1 hour ago, cchu said:

Received the ranking today. My position is very marginal and I feel extremely lucky to get the award.

I also received my ranking. How do you know your ranking is marginal? My letter does not say anything about how many were awarded. 

23 minutes ago, LittleSky said:

I also received my ranking. How do you know your ranking is marginal? My letter does not say anything about how many were awarded. 

I take 40% as a reference. Since the acceptance rate is ~40%.

2 hours ago, cchu said:

Received the ranking today. My position is very marginal and I feel extremely lucky to get the award.

38 minutes ago, LittleSky said:

Did you guys receive your ranking via regular snail mail or 'e-mail'? Have yet to hear anything. 

Edited by saugaboy