NSERC C/PGSD 2019-2020

J0n

9 minutes ago, LittleSky said:

Anyone else on the alternate list willing to share their ranking?

I am ranked 31 in Electrical Engineering... not because I didn't personally get it but I believe the evaluators dont follow the guidelines... I have a full Masters (Canadian) GPA (Straight A+'s) and 8 years of experience in Canada... 2 IEEE Papers plus a conference and a book chapter. One of my papers have very high citations. I got 12/30 in Academic Excellence I dont know how this is justified... If you check the guidelines work experience counts towards Academic Excellence. So how 8 years of experience with Full GPA is 12/30?

36 minutes ago, SamECE said:

I am ranked 31 in Electrical Engineering... not because I didn't personally get it but I believe the evaluators dont follow the guidelines... I have a full Masters (Canadian) GPA (Straight A+'s) and 8 years of experience in Canada... 2 IEEE Papers plus a conference and a book chapter. One of my papers have very high citations. I got 12/30 in Academic Excellence I dont know how this is justified... If you check the guidelines work experience counts towards Academic Excellence. So how 8 years of experience with Full GPA is 12/30?

I get the impression from speaking to people that a lot of those rankings/scores are really subjective, likely made by people who don't know anything about your field. And it is really frustrating and often unfair. But you are doing well in your career, and that is what ultimately matters the most, not some random people's judgement of you! 

2 hours ago, SamECE said:

My Academic excellence score is 10.5/30. I believe all the other people are getting all A+ and a long lost of scholarship. My scholarship profile is not prolific.

21 hours ago, SamECE said:

Holy shit, your qualifications are really good. 

I got a CGS-D (Plant and Animal Science) with 2 papers submitted (both first author, small journal), 2 papers published (one first author, big journal, one third author, small journal). First year phd. However I really tried to buff up my leadership portion because I knew that this wouldn't be super competitive with other Ph. D. students in Biology.

I do know that they are supposed to apply a weight based on how long you have been in graduate studies, so I wonder if that makes a difference? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "8 years of experience in Canada" but it's possible that stressing that point made them grade you harder.

19 hours ago, cchu said:

My Academic excellence score is 10.5/30. I believe all the other people are getting all A+ and a long lost of scholarship. My scholarship profile is not prolific.

I think I got an academic excellence score of 12 last year when I was rejected. I had a long list of scholarships but only 1 publication.

I think in the PhD level competition the publications are weighted more heavily than scholarships.

Just now, turtleprincess said:

I think I got an academic excellence score of 12 last year when I was rejected. I had a long list of scholarships but only 1 publication.

I think in the PhD level competition the publications are weighted more heavily than scholarships.

according to the guideline, publications are counted for research ability. I myself got 2 peer-reviewed publications and 1 submitted paper at the time of my application. I have got 38/50 for my research ability and 15/20 for leadership. these two portions really help as I ve got PGS-D.

2 minutes ago, turtleprincess said:

They said your proposal is really important. Ive got my proposal reviewed for 8 times before submission. I think how you write or present your proposal matters.

22 hours ago, SamECE said:

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/SelectionCommitteeGuide_e.pdf

Your work exp counts toward your research ability and leadership.

23 minutes ago, cchu said:

They said your proposal is really important. Ive got my proposal reviewed for 8 times before submission. I think how you write or present your proposal matters.

Yeah I agree with this. My publications haven't changed much in the last year (went from 1 submitted to 1 submitted and 1 accepted), but I worked hard on my research proposal and it was something I was wanting to do anyways. I had it read by a few more people and made sure it made sense to people outside of my field. I didn't think it would make much of a difference, but it was all I could do to improve my research score.

My academic score was low last year, but it shouldn't have changed much this year either - A's to A+'s in the last two years, and no scholarships. My leadership experience was also strong, but the same, so I don't expect it to have changed. I haven't gotten my ranking this year yet, but I got a PGSD this year and not last year. I expect that the biggest difference in scoring was due to my research proposal for the research section, which is most strongly weighted.

The scores don't mean much anyways, since you are scored compared to others in your category and not some absolute value. I'm sure it changes year by year for the same person because of competition.

1 hour ago, cchu said:

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Students-Etudiants/SelectionCommitteeGuide_e.pdf

Your work exp counts toward your research ability and leadership.

And Academic Excellence check 3.5.1.1 page 13 ... it is under Academic Excellence 

"3.5.1.1  Work  experience In some instances,  an  applicant  may  return to  an  institution  for  graduate studies  after obtaining  work  experience.  Members  should place an  increased  emphasis  on  relevant work  experience and  a  decreased  emphasis  on academic  record  in these  situations. The number  of  years  of  work  experience should be  factored  into  the  evaluation  of academic  excellence."

40 minutes ago, SamECE said:

And Academic Excellence check 3.5.1.1 page 13 ... it is under Academic Excellence 

"3.5.1.1  Work  experience In some instances,  an  applicant  may  return to  an  institution  for  graduate studies  after obtaining  work  experience.  Members  should place an  increased  emphasis  on  relevant work  experience and  a  decreased  emphasis  on academic  record  in these  situations. The number  of  years  of  work  experience should be  factored  into  the  evaluation  of academic  excellence."

appendix A says its not.

Hi, 

Last year, I was an awardee from the competition's short list of alternates. I got the first notification that I had been put into the waitlist at the end March.  My committee was 'Computing Sciences' and I was ranked 62 out of 133 applicants (in top 46.66%) in my group.

I got the good news on the 2nd week of July that the funding had become available and they are going to give me the award. 

Funding may become available from two sources:
1) Some CGS-D awardees goes to foreign universities and the award comes down to PGS-D,
2) Some CGS/PGS-D awardees declines the award, because they have better scholarships (such as, Vanair) 

I heard that some applicants got the award notification (from the short list of alternates) as late as October for a given year.  So, I would say, don't hold your breath too tight , if you are in the waitlist.

Relax, and wait for the magical  moment of euphoria, which I had in last July.  :)

4 hours ago, simulatedReality said:

Hi, 

Last year, I was an awardee from the competition's short list of alternates. I got the first notification that I had been put into the waitlist at the end March.  My committee was 'Computing Sciences' and I was ranked 62 out of 133 applicants (in top 46.66%) in my group.

I got the good news on the 2nd week of July that the funding had become available and they are going to give me the award. 

Funding may become available from two sources:
1) Some CGS-D awardees goes to foreign universities and the award comes down to PGS-D,
2) Some CGS/PGS-D awardees declines the award, because they have better scholarships (such as, Vanair) 

I heard that some applicants got the award notification (from the short list of alternates) as late as October for a given year.  So, I would say, don't hold your breath too tight , if you are in the waitlist.

Relax, and wait for the magical  moment of euphoria, which I had in last July.  :)

Did you get a letter in the mail or email notification of getting the PGS D in July? Also was it PGS D3 or PGS D2? I'm not sure if the waitlists for the two are separate or not

Edited by PianoMan

I got CDS-D3...My selection committee was Civil and Industrial Engineering. 

1) Academic score - 21.75/30

2) Research potential - 40/50

3) Leadership -9.5/20

I am a Mechanical Engineer and hold a masters in Mechanical Engg and a MBA. I had 9+ years of work experience. None of my degrees were from Canada. 

I became a PR last year. That's when I decided to do my PhD..

I finally got my letter and was ranked 68 out of 133 (51.1%) for chemistry PGS 3D. I am on the waitlist but feel my chances of getting it are low. Does anyone know the cut off rank this year (i.e. how many people were accepted)?

Edited by PianoMan