Decision time: share your dilemma

bac

1 hour ago, TalkPoliticsToMe said:

Honestly no idea. I share the same concerns as you (although not first gen or low income) so a large part (85%) of my decision was related to funding. I think if USC is where your heart is I would call admissions and see if there’s anyway they can match or offer you an equally compelling stipend like LBJ. That will at least remove any “what if” scenarios from plaguing your mind.

yeah they said full ride is the highest offer USC does, which blows. they sent me a long list of external fellowships but i'm betting they would only be helpful for year 2

13 hours ago, madrid said:

Can someone gut-check if I’m being stupid?

in short - full ride USC versus full ride LBJ and a 31k stipend.

31,000 stipend feels insane to me, and they seem to want me I think, as they emailed me out of the blue to add 11k to my originally generous stipend. 

As a Latina New Yorker I am nervous of never having visited Austin.  And I loved USC’s focus on Latinos and immigration....

I should take the stipend no?

Congrats on your admissions! I was also accepted to LBJ (and am also a Latina New Yorker :) ). I had the chance to very briefly visit Austin last week for the first time and generally liked the city and program, but am also debating between a few other options. If you have any specific questions regarding what Austin is like, feel free to message me. Since I myself do not drive/own a car, one thing I'm always wary of is access to public transportation. 

Also, just to confirm, you received 31k total stipend from LBJ for both years?

15 hours ago, acv123 said:

Congrats on your admissions! I was also accepted to LBJ (and am also a Latina New Yorker :) ). I had the chance to very briefly visit Austin last week for the first time and generally liked the city and program, but am also debating between a few other options. If you have any specific questions regarding what Austin is like, feel free to message me. Since I myself do not drive/own a car, one thing I'm always wary of is access to public transportation. 

Thanks! And cool- public transport is something I'm definitelyworried about. Also, the city and program being very whiteworries me too, as I didn't get a chance to visit. 31k split over two years! 

I'm deciding between DU Korbel Master in International Studies and Pitt GSPIA. While Korbel gave me 15k a year, Pitt gave me 28k a year, almost a full ride, and the cost of attending Pitt would be around 45k cheaper than DU. While DU is my dream program Pitts offer is compelling me to lean that way. I originally wanted to do government work, but now I think I am leaning towards think tank, NGO, private sector, and eventually a PHD. Any advice on programs and job outcomes is welecome.

18 minutes ago, HBLB said:

I'm deciding between DU Korbel Master in International Studies and Pitt GSPIA. While Korbel gave me 15k a year, Pitt gave me 28k a year, almost a full ride, and the cost of attending Pitt would be around 45k cheaper than DU. While DU is my dream program Pitts offer is compelling me to lean that way. I originally wanted to do government work, but now I think I am leaning towards think tank, NGO, private sector, and eventually a PHD. Any advice on programs and job outcomes is welecome.

What are you interested in studying? I don't know anything about Korbel, but from my understanding, GSPIA attracts a lot of students interested in security and intelligence studies and human rights. So their program is probably strongest in these areas. You can also take classes in other departments at Pitt and at CMU (only one per semester I think). I will note that Pittsburgh is not a very international city, so there may not be many opportunities to work with internationally -focused organizations outside of class, but I do think GSPIA offers a semester in D.C. if that interests you.  And if you're leaning more towards research work, perhaps see if there are any professors doing work that interests you or research centers you'd want to join.

Regarding job outcomes, GSPIA has a document with their career outcomes on their website so I suggest taking a look at that. One thing I noticed when I looked at it some time ago was that some people were working as interns after graduating ... but this might just a be a reflection of the fact that a good amount of students come straight from undergrad and don't have the work experience yet to attain higher positions.

Good luck wherever you decide!

Hello!

I've been a lurker of Grad Cafe for a while, but after years of just reading it's come time for me to actually post.

It's crunch time to decision day and I'm feeling a bit torn by two very different programs. Heinz Master of Arts Management (70% tuition) or Sciences Po Paris Master of Public Policy (Emile Boutmy Scholarship ~66% tuition). Total COA and living in Paris will actually be less than in Pittsburgh because tuition and health insurance is so much less in France. 

I get the feeling that I have a slightly different background and goals from most government affairs folks, but I am interested in public sector work. In the end, I see myself in cultural affairs and /or cultural diplomacy work. I come from a background of working in local arts and culture non-profits, but in a small US city with few international connections.

The reason why it is a difficult decision for me is not necessarily a financial one (thanks to the scholarship offers), but rather, the uncertainty of picking a French school over an American one. I know Sciences Po is well-regarded internationally, but I don't know how well it will translate if I want to come back to the US. I would like to spend some time working internationally after the degree if possible, but I know there is no guarantee, especially when it comes to visa issues.

Heinz on the other hand is a great opportunity for me to get more quantitative and data analytics skills, which isn't always something that people working in the cultural sector think about. Heinz has been super accommodating and welcoming. I was able to go to admitted students weekend and really enjoyed the opportunities and campus. As someone with an arts background, I was really excited about the opportunities to learn more policy and data skills. I get the feeling that I know exactly what I'm signing up for if I go to Heinz.

In contrast, I won't get to visit Sciences Po. I have a few contacts in Paris and at the school and I have been assured that if I have been granted the Emile Boutmy Scholarship that the school wants me there. I've lived in France before and do already speak French, so I'm not too concerned about language barriers. I am mostly worried about moving my life to another country and not really knowing what I'm getting into opportunities wise. The Sciences Po curriculum is not as technical, but the internship opportunities are prestigious (UN, UNESCO, European Commission etc.). I've heard that Sciences Po is more about the network than anything else.

Any thoughts or feedback?

11 hours ago, tealeaf71 said:

What are you interested in studying? I don't know anything about Korbel, but from my understanding, GSPIA attracts a lot of students interested in security and intelligence studies and human rights. So their program is probably strongest in these areas. You can also take classes in other departments at Pitt and at CMU (only one per semester I think). I will note that Pittsburgh is not a very international city, so there may not be many opportunities to work with internationally -focused organizations outside of class, but I do think GSPIA offers a semester in D.C. if that interests you.  And if you're leaning more towards research work, perhaps see if there are any professors doing work that interests you or research centers you'd want to join.

Regarding job outcomes, GSPIA has a document with their career outcomes on their website so I suggest taking a look at that. One thing I noticed when I looked at it some time ago was that some people were working as interns after graduating ... but this might just a be a reflection of the fact that a good amount of students come straight from undergrad and don't have the work experience yet to attain higher positions.

Good luck wherever you decide!

Thanks for the reply, I was accepted to GSPIA's security and intelligence program, which is where my academic interests lie but I am not as sure about working in the IC or law enforcement, so I want to keep my options open. I was leaning towards Pitt, but I was able to renegotiate with DU for about half of tuiton off, which makes the decision extremely hard. Pitt would essentially be no debt while DU would be around 20k in loans, which isnt bad at all.

Hello! First of all, thank you all so much for your insight on the forum. It’s been so helpful throughout this process. 

Basically, my dilemma is deciding wether or not to wait for grad school. I have two years of Peace Corps experience in the economic development sector (West Africa), as well as 6mo doing research for a UN agency (in China) right after graduating from college. 

I got into a bunch of programs (SIPA, Wagner, Ford, McCourt), but all with $15-$20,000 aid. The best deal I currently have is $20,000/year at Chicago Harris, putting my tuition debt load at graduation around $62,000 (the tuition is cheaper and cost of living would be too). I want to go into public sector consulting or development consulting post-graduate school. 

My my question is: is it worth taking Harris and accepting the debt? Or is it better for me to work another year or two and reapply to programs hoping for more funding? If I started this fall, I would be 27 at graduation. I’ve never had student debt before (I had effectively a full ride at undergrad), so the thought makes me nervous. That said I do have about $14,000 in savings and a car worth about $8,000, so that would definitely help offset some living costs. 

I thought the decision would become clearer the closer I got to the deadline, but unfortunately it has not. 

Thank you for your insight!

6 hours ago, JWSS said:

Hello! First of all, thank you all so much for your insight on the forum. It’s been so helpful throughout this process. 

Basically, my dilemma is deciding wether or not to wait for grad school. I have two years of Peace Corps experience in the economic development sector (West Africa), as well as 6mo doing research for a UN agency (in China) right after graduating from college. 

I got into a bunch of programs (SIPA, Wagner, Ford, McCourt), but all with $15-$20,000 aid. The best deal I currently have is $20,000/year at Chicago Harris, putting my tuition debt load at graduation around $62,000 (the tuition is cheaper and cost of living would be too). I want to go into public sector consulting or development consulting post-graduate school. 

My my question is: is it worth taking Harris and accepting the debt? Or is it better for me to work another year or two and reapply to programs hoping for more funding? If I started this fall, I would be 27 at graduation. I’ve never had student debt before (I had effectively a full ride at undergrad), so the thought makes me nervous. That said I do have about $14,000 in savings and a car worth about $8,000, so that would definitely help offset some living costs. 

I thought the decision would become clearer the closer I got to the deadline, but unfortunately it has not. 

Thank you for your insight!

Hi! Tough choice. What are you hoping to get out of a graduate program? I am asking because I'm wondering if you need to go to grad school or can go directly into consulting. Maybe if you are lacking in quant skills, I can see how Harris can really help you out. It might help to think about what skills you can gain only in a school vs. on the job. With your background, you might already be competitive for a consulting gig (you could start in general management, and then move into their public sector practice, which would open up your options). 

But if you are set on grad school (for the network, added degree if you ever want to work for UN/USAID types), I think you should also consider how the added year "fit" into your narrative. If you pivot back to the private sector, it might be harder to convince the policy schools you belong there vs. a MBA (which does not give much funding). You may consider doing something more "public" oriented in this upcoming year if you wish to increase your competitiveness. Perhaps a think tank? a field research/analyst position (like givedirectly, IDinsight?) 

If you are kinda lost as to why/if you want to go to grad school, AND you can handle the debt, maybe you should just go... you can for sure still find a high payer job with a harris degree, and the network can set you up with new opportunities. A year post-degree is probably more valuable than a year before - so it's good to get through school asap! You can also explore outside scholarships for year 2. 

Hope some of this makes sense. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, acv123 said:

On 4/9/2019 at 12:05 PM, madrid said:

Thanks! And cool- public transport is something I'm definitelyworried about. Also, the city and program being very whiteworries me too, as I didn't get a chance to visit. 31k split over two years! 

I am a current LBJ student here in Austin. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. 

On 4/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, CaliforniaBurritoAreGreat said:

I can't speak on Berkeley, but I just successfully negotiated with Harris for an increase from 40% tuition to 70%, using a full-tuition scholarship at USC (in addition to some other offers) as leverage. I basically made it clear that Harris is my top choice (and that I would go definitely go there if provided a feasible package) and the only factor stopping me at this time is $.

Did you talk to someone directly (i.e., phone conversation)?

17 hours ago, HBLB said:

Thanks for the reply, I was accepted to GSPIA's security and intelligence program, which is where my academic interests lie but I am not as sure about working in the IC or law enforcement, so I want to keep my options open. I was leaning towards Pitt, but I was able to renegotiate with DU for about half of tuiton off, which makes the decision extremely hard. Pitt would essentially be no debt while DU would be around 20k in loans, which isnt bad at all.

I guess it depends on how heavily you weight being debt-free. Typically I'd say follow the money, but personally, I think the financial difference between DU and GSPIA is not huge... so I would go with the best fit (and which school will give you the best opportunities post-grad). You're investing 2 years of your life in grad school, so pick a school you're really excited about. You have two great offers, so ultimately, I don't think you can really go wrong here.

Another thought: since these schools are in quite different parts of the U.S., you might want to consider where you want to end up post-grad and then determine which school has the best connections or highest percentages of grads in that city/state.

West coast friends, help me decide! 

Work: 4+ years of work experience mainly in education

I'm originally from socal and have been away for the last 10 years, currently living in the Bay Area (ultimate goal is to work in socal)

Schools: USC (full ride), Berkeley (year 1: tuition/fees + stipend, year 2: small stipend only)

I want a strong quant program so in that regard Berkeley wins, but establishing a professional network in socal is a big draw for USC. I can see myself happy in both places. I'm already in the Bay Area so I'd have to factor in moving costs. Is anyone in a similar boat? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! 

Howdy,

I'm stuck between AU SIS Comparative and Regional Studies (70k tuition for two years) and Pitt GSPIA (28k), International Affairs Security and Intelligence. There are some other hidden costs for each, but I think those will roughly balance out. I want to get into political/risk analysis, consulting, or something of the sort.  I am absolutely at peace with the private sector. Civil society and political movements are really the main thing driving my interests, and the regional focus is largely a means to contextualize and apply it. That being the case, I've been putting a lot of weight on regional studies, so I'd want to work a cert into the GSPIA program.

AU:
+ Prime location. Networking, etc.
+ Solid professional and career resources.
+ I was very impressed with their communication from acceptance and can't help but think that represents the rank (and cost) gap.
- The quantitative component might be weaker? "Comparative political economy" at AU vs. a full-blown economics requirement at Pitt, for example.
- $ $ $

Pitt:
+ Great regional and language sources.
+ $ $ $
+/- The security/intel focus is nice for actually developing some tangible skills. But traditional security is not exaaactly what I'm going for. It is a clear application, though.
- The thesis requirement for the regional cert might come at the expense of the capstone project.
- Their internship connections don't appear to be especially strong. I could be wrong.

Financially, I could pay for Pitt out of pocket. I would need to take out the loans for AU, though, and the DC metro is expensive enough as it is. The extra cash from Pitt could go a long way. I understand that if you end up in government, the pedigree doesn't really matter.  If you wind up in a non-profit, the less debt you have, the better.

Does anyone have any thoughts on LBJ vs.  USC?

I’m having a hard time deciding between the two given very similar amounts of funding from both programs. Neither are in my ideal location (North East), but both programs sound great from what I’ve researched. Hoping for some insights!

Well, given I'm the original poster, I should close the loop I guess! 

A lot of soul-searching, discussions with my wife, dialogue and negotiations with USC and UT-Austin, working out logistics around our impending green cards/moving/baby on the way - and finally a decision!

We're going to move to Texas and I'm going to do the MPAff at the LBJ School. 

We both liked the idea and costs of living in Austin more than LA, with a growing family and a dog there is more space in the rental market, UT were really responsive and have offered me a lot of flexibility with my complicated situation and possible starting dates (though I'm most likely going to start in Fall), and they came to the party just today with a half-tuition fellowship when before there was none.

I feel good, I feel relaxed, I can't wait to press that button over the weekend, and I hope you all feel that kind of peace when you get to the same place. God knows, we've all earned it.

And if you're going to be a Longhorn like me, hit me up. The first beer is on me.

1 hour ago, blahannah said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on LBJ vs.  USC?

I’m having a hard time deciding between the two given very similar amounts of funding from both programs. Neither are in my ideal location (North East), but both programs sound great from what I’ve researched. Hoping for some insights!

What's your background and what sort of work do you want to do after graduating?

22 minutes ago, woolscarves said:

What's your background and what sort of work do you want to do after graduating?

My background is in nonprofits and I’ve also done some local political work. My goal however is to do more rigorous policy  research. I’m less concerned whether I’d be conducting that research at a nonprofit or public institution (I’m not particularly interested in the private sector).

18 hours ago, blahannah said:

My background is in nonprofits and I’ve also done some local political work. My goal however is to do more rigorous policy  research. I’m less concerned whether I’d be conducting that research at a nonprofit or public institution (I’m not particularly interested in the private sector).

Well then you can't really go wrong here. Neither is significantly stronger than the other in the areas of your goals. I know you said you want to live in the North East, but I would pick based on whether you think you could end up living in Texas or California. Since the schools are so strong regionally, you're going to be presented with a lot of opportunities in the states in which they're located. So, as a back-up plan, imagine whether you'd be more comfortable living in California or Texas and go there.

Some 11th hour stressing ahead of SIPA's deposit deadline. While I believe SIPA would be a positive experience that would advance my career, I've realized SAIS would be more educationally/socially rewarding, while offering similar professional opportunities. All things equal, I want to go to SAIS.

That said, SIPA's offering me $28k/year, while I have no funding from SAIS. I'm not wealthy and money's definitely a factor. Would I be crazy to turn down $56k for the sake of experience, especially when career outcomes are similar?

Just now, lost_in_translation said:

Some 11th hour stressing ahead of SIPA's deposit deadline. While I believe SIPA would be a positive experience that would advance my career, I've realized SAIS would be more educationally/socially rewarding, while offering similar professional opportunities. All things equal, I want to go to SAIS.

That said, SIPA's offering me $28k/year, while I have no funding from SAIS. I'm not wealthy and money's definitely a factor. Would I be crazy to turn down $56k for the sake of experience, especially when career outcomes are similar?

I think funding should be the deciding factor here. Are you able to work your way through school? If not, you'll need loans for tuition as well as for living at SAIS (and I think COL in Baltimore is quite high). Student loan debt is no joke, and I personally think you should avoid it no matter what. At least run some calculations real quick today and think seriously about taking on that debt. But keep in mind that I'm an internet stranger. I don't know you, and neither does anyone else on this forum. We'll all do our best to give you our best advice, but please do what you think is best for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just found out I got in off the waitlist at the Goldman School at Berkeley. Berkeley had been my top choice throughout my application process, but also a big reach/question mark as to whether I'd be able to go even if I got in. As of now, I'm deciding between Goldman and the McCourt School at Georgetown in DC.

I'm currently based in DC. I have to consider the cost of tuition, the cost of moving, and the cost of living (although I'm not sure if the Bay Area is that much worse than what I'm already dealing with in DC on that front, honestly...) vs. the stronger reputation of Berkeley, especially for my interest in climate/environmental policy, and my personal excitement about the possibility of moving back to the West Coast. (I'm from Oregon originally.) There's also a partner involved who's less keen to leave DC yet, so there's that factor as well... 

I was offered $25,000/year from Georgetown (about 50% of tution and fees — Georgetown is so expensive, y'all!), which would put the total cost (of just tuition and fees) at about $59,000, which... is still a lot. I was (as expected) not offered any funding from Berkeley, although it sounds like GSI/Reader/etc positions are fairly available and could come with a big tuition discount?

Anyway, even setting funding aside, I'm still torn. 

I guess my biggest question is -- how much is Goldman worth vs. McCourt? How does the stronger academic reputation of Goldman stack up against the wealth opportunities for policy/government work/internship experience I could find here in DC? Is Goldman worth moving and taking on the extra debt for? (And would the Berkeley debt be as much as I fear -- are those researcher/tutor positions as widely available and as much of a golden ticket as some make it sound?) 

I've got until Wednesday to figure it all out -- Berkeley gave me until May 1 to decide, and while it sounds like I could get more time from them if I asked for it, I already extended my Georgetown deadline until May 1 and doubt they'd do it again. Ahh! Any tips?

3 hours ago, brusselsprouts said:

I just found out I got in off the waitlist at the Goldman School at Berkeley. Berkeley had been my top choice throughout my application process, but also a big reach/question mark as to whether I'd be able to go even if I got in. As of now, I'm deciding between Goldman and the McCourt School at Georgetown in DC.

I'm currently based in DC. I have to consider the cost of tuition, the cost of moving, and the cost of living (although I'm not sure if the Bay Area is that much worse than what I'm already dealing with in DC on that front, honestly...) vs. the stronger reputation of Berkeley, especially for my interest in climate/environmental policy, and my personal excitement about the possibility of moving back to the West Coast. (I'm from Oregon originally.) There's also a partner involved who's less keen to leave DC yet, so there's that factor as well... 

I was offered $25,000/year from Georgetown (about 50% of tution and fees — Georgetown is so expensive, y'all!), which would put the total cost (of just tuition and fees) at about $59,000, which... is still a lot. I was (as expected) not offered any funding from Berkeley, although it sounds like GSI/Reader/etc positions are fairly available and could come with a big tuition discount?

Anyway, even setting funding aside, I'm still torn. 

I guess my biggest question is -- how much is Goldman worth vs. McCourt? How does the stronger academic reputation of Goldman stack up against the wealth opportunities for policy/government work/internship experience I could find here in DC? Is Goldman worth moving and taking on the extra debt for? (And would the Berkeley debt be as much as I fear -- are those researcher/tutor positions as widely available and as much of a golden ticket as some make it sound?) 

I've got until Wednesday to figure it all out -- Berkeley gave me until May 1 to decide, and while it sounds like I could get more time from them if I asked for it, I already extended my Georgetown deadline until May 1 and doubt they'd do it again. Ahh! Any tips?

https://gspp.berkeley.edu/career-services/alumni-graduation-facts/gspp-employment-statistics

https://mccourt.georgetown.edu/career/outcomes