2019 Decisions Thread

3 hours ago, FiguresIII said:

On the fence between UChicago and Berkeley. My preference is for Berkeley, the fit is phenomenal, and I love everything else about the program, but the problem is money, plain and simple. I don't see myself being able to live for six years in the Bay Area with their current offer. Chicago offers me more and the cost of living is SO much lower, it's scandalous. Doubting whether I should try to wring a little more money out of Berkeley...

I was just at a visit where someone from a different Bay Area university talked about how he found his apartment through a departmental email. Did you ask about help finding affordable housing and how the current students manage to make ends meet? 

18 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congratulations @Bopie5! Such wonderful news!

Thank you! I just confirmed my intent to enroll; it really is such good news, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity, and so excited for this fall!

11 minutes ago, madandmoonly said:

To the surprise of probably no one who's ever heard me say anything about anything, I officially accepted Rice's offer of admission. 

Congratulations!! It really felt like such a great fit for your work during the visit weekend. I am still super torn, but if I move off the waitlist there's still a good chance I'll be joining you. :) 

6 minutes ago, dilby said:

Congratulations!! It really felt like such a great fit for your work during the visit weekend. I am still super torn, but if I move off the waitlist there's still a good chance I'll be joining you. :) 

I don't blame you honestly. That visit weekend was incredibly persuasive and everyone was just so chill somehow?? I'm still shocked by how much I liked everyone, given what a grumpy old man I usually am. Plus, I couldn't turn down that stipend or chance to work with TM. I'm really excited!

On 3/29/2019 at 10:36 AM, FiguresIII said:

On the fence between UChicago and Berkeley. My preference is for Berkeley, the fit is phenomenal, and I love everything else about the program, but the problem is money, plain and simple. I don't see myself being able to live for six years in the Bay Area with their current offer. Chicago offers me more and the cost of living is SO much lower, it's scandalous. Doubting whether I should try to wring a little more money out of Berkeley...

Absolutely 100% talk to the department / the chair of graduate studies / whoever sent you the congratulations email. Tell them how you're honestly feeling and that the difference in stipends is making it very hard to attend Berkeley. They let you in because they really, really want you there. If Chicago's stipend amt and livability is making it difficult to impossible to choose Berkeley, you should let them know and see what they say.

Personally, I'm just waiting till the Chicago visit to decide... why is it on the 12th!!! It's torture!

Edited by deka

6 hours ago, deka said:

Personally, I'm just waiting till the Chicago visit to decide... why is it on the 12th!!! It's torture!

Is the visit just one day or does it stretch out so they have you there on the 15th? I just have this image of them saying, "No, you can't leave until you tell us if you're coming!" :P

On 4/2/2019 at 8:38 AM, fortschritt22 said:

Officially accepted my offer to Indiana!

Congrats! Indiana seems like such a great program. It was really hard for me to turn it down. Jennifer Fleissner and Jonathan Elmer seem so great, and the campus is beautiful! 

1 hour ago, natalielouise said:

Accepted my offer at Buffalo! 

congrats & it was nice to briefly meet you :) i'm still on the fence, although the visit was totally amazing and really made me excited about the program! i'm still confused about marketability/placement and the prospect of living in buffalo for that long....