2019 Decisions Thread

5 minutes ago, hgtvdeathdrive said:

stay tuned for my tell all memoir regarding that deleted post from earlier this week lmao!!!!

Preordered. 

Congrats!!! I really think you’re gonna love it! Money ain’t nothing but a thang

I accepted the University of Michigan's offer, PhD in American Culture. Feeling strangely ambivalent about it; it's a great program with tons of resources and I'm excited to begin the journey, but I do not like the location at all. Hoping to make the best of it as no offer had everything I was looking for.

Now to have a glass of wine. I'm relieved that this part of the process is over. 

Officially going to UVA!

Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice, information, and just generally making this community the supportive place it is. I've been here for 3 years now and I'm glad to be moving on to the next stage finally.

24 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Officially going to UVA!

Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice, information, and just generally making this community the supportive place it is. I've been here for 3 years now and I'm glad to be moving on to the next stage finally.

Congratulations, so happy for you!

2 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Officially going to UVA!

You really did it! Such wonderful news, congratulations :) I plan to be in the Cville/Staunton area many times to see plays at the American Shakespeare Center in the next 6-7 years. Perhaps we will rub elbows.

There should be no limit to reacts today!!!

Congrats everyone ❤️ We did it!  I’m so glad to have been a part of this community, for all the support, and for all the joy in seeing folks’ dreams come true.

I just know in the future whenever I see some truly incredible thing happening in our field, I’m going to proudly be like hmmmm, I bet there’s a GCer behind that. 

13 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Congrats everyone ❤️ We did it!  I’m so glad to have been a part of this community, for all the support, and for all the joy in seeing folks’ dreams come true.

I just know in the future whenever I see some truly incredible thing happening in our field, I’m going to proudly be like hmmmm, I bet there’s a GCer behind that.

This just made my heart feel so full! I hope we all keep each other updated on conferences and publications--I wanna follow all of your work into the future.

21 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I've always been curious on how much impact one group could have if everyone collaborated with each other on various opportunities.

22 minutes ago, Warelin said:

I've always been curious on how much impact one group could have if everyone collaborated with each other on various opportunities.

I wonder what this would look like on the tangible level. What kind of opportunities? How does the interface/collaboration occur? Etc? It's exciting to think about. Maybe we should make a GCers "Potential Collaborations" thread.

1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

I wonder what this would look like on the tangible level. What kind of opportunities? How does the interface/collaboration occur? Etc? It's exciting to think about. Maybe we should make a GCers "Potential Collaborations" thread.

Ooooo I love this idea

2 hours ago, Warelin said:

2 hours ago, Bopie5 said:

A collaboration thread would be pretty cool. Especially since it can be difficult to begin collaborations in the field. I also wonder if it would be good to have something where grad students can talk about their research and potential fits in programs. Forgive me if this gets a bit stream of consciousness like as I am thinking of it as I go and read a lot of Joyce and Woolf. But a collaboration thread could also help those researching programs. As we know, it is impossible to research all the grad programs out there. So for those lucky enough to have been accepted to either a MA or Ph.D. program, we can help those either looking to get into grad school or those wanting to go from MA to Ph.D. Particularly those of us in Ph.D. programs can draw back on their research/comment on their current programs and help those looking for fits in their field of interest. Think of it as reaching out to current grad students, but maybe in a more familiar surrounding. I hope this makes sense.

8 hours ago, dilby said:

You really did it! Such wonderful news, congratulations :) I plan to be in the Cville/Staunton area many times to see plays at the American Shakespeare Center in the next 6-7 years. Perhaps we will rub elbows.

Looking forward to it!