SLP Declining Offers Thread 2019

I already set down a deposit, but trying to figure out how to decline at North Carolina Central. If I get into New Mexico State I'll be declining there too, but I have absolutely no idea as I haven't heard anything from them...

On 4/9/2019 at 8:23 PM, mel16j said:

Anyone declining University of Central Florida, Florida State University or Florida Atlantic University???

I was waitlisted for all three - disappointed but still hopeful! Need to figure out the apartment situation soon.... SOS

I just declined UCF and FAU! Accepted my offer at FSU but I know a bunch of people who declined theirs. Good luck! 

4 hours ago, ELISLP2B said:

Accepted offer: MGH IHP

Declined offers: Kent State University, Washington State University, University of Redlands, San Francisco State University. 

I hope this helps those on the waitlist! Best of luck ?

Hi Eli! Do you mind telling me what specifically about MGH IHP's program was the factor that led to your final decision? I am deciding between there and another program!

4 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

Hi Eli! Do you mind telling me what specifically about MGH IHP's program was the factor that led to your final decision? I am deciding between there and another program!

Hi Samiam! I went to MGH IHP open house and fell in love with the program. It basically checked all the boxes and felt like the right fit for me. I was worried about tuition being do pricey, but since they have what I want, I think it's worth it. Overall there seemed to be an immense amount of opportunities offered by the school in adult, school, pediatric, and hospital work, which was a huge plus. I have a lot of interests in the field such as Autism, motor speech disorders, voice disorders, and medical slp, and I'm unsure which direction I am going to go, so all the opportunities for various areas in the SLP realm were important to me. I am really interested in their research labs and projects and definitely want to be a GA or volunteer in a few of the labs. Also, I really like that they give you 3 long term placements, and when I talked to the students, they all like their placements and thought they were being prepared well. They talk with each student and personalize placements for each of them based of their wants and needs. I really like the purpose of the impact center, and I like that they have you collaborate with other students in different health professions on a client to teach you the importance of each person's role and how working together benefits the client. I really like they have a huge faculty with various specialties and their elective courses they let you pick from seem really cool. A big factor was the feel of the faculty. The faculty seemed very warm, welcoming and supportive. Even though its a large cohort(60), they divide you into tiny groups and smaller groups to give you the adequate attention and support that you need. The faculty seemed that they work hard to support all students in the best way they can, and I got the impression they were very caring and understanding towards students. Overall it seemed like a very supportive based program that would challenge me and give me endless opportunities in the various areas in the SLP realm. I made a pros and cons list for each of my schools, and the only con for MGH IHP for me was tuition, whereas there were program based cons for my other schools. MGH IHP was always one of my top choices, but after visiting, I realized it was basically my dream program. Sorry that was so long! I just wrote everything I could think of off the top of my head. I hope some of this helps! Good luck with your decision. I know choosing as school is stressful AF. If you choose MGH IHP, I'll see you there ?

On 4/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, speechieontherun said:

Declining Biola, Fullerton, Long Beach, California Baptist University, University of the Pacific, Emerson College, Midwestern University (Glendale) and UTEP. 

Hi! Just wondering where are you going? Congrats on getting into so many schools!

I am declining University if Montana, University of North Dakota, Arkansas State,  and Eastern New Mexico University. 

I just accepted my offer to Idaho State today! 

On 4/11/2019 at 7:02 PM, Rezzy S. said:

Declined my offer at UT Austin. Was a very hard decision. Hope this helps :)

I'm going to have to do the same today, it's hard to officially decline! But out of state tuition is just too much for my financial situation. Hope you love the program you choose!

On 4/13/2019 at 2:30 AM, Slpstudent2468 said:

I think I'm about to do the same!  Why is it so difficult to say no thanks?!?!

Same!!!! It's really hard to just make the move! Would love to have gone but out of state tuition is just too high when I can pay in-state somewhere else.

3 hours ago, marieslp said:

I'm going to have to do the same today, it's hard to officially decline! But out of state tuition is just too much for my financial situation. Hope you love the program you choose!

Agreed about the cost. And thanks, you too! :) 

22 minutes ago, libbyyehca said:

Has anyone rejected their admission to Midwestern University Glendale campus? I'm on their waitlist ?

I will most likely turn down my waitlist position! ?