Prestigious program or not?

I just wanted to add a couple notes from how I view schools when comparing their prestigiousness. I agree that fit should be the primary factor. One question I always ask a DGS, potential advisors, and current students is how well the program prepares their students for the job market. You want to find a program that takes a vested interest in your success on the job market after you graduate and offers help throughout the process. Also, as someone mentioned before, certain schools do very well in placing their students wherever they are located. While it may not necessarily be a R1 school, if location is important to you, that is something to consider.  

On 3/25/2019 at 5:05 PM, Lowe said:

Has anyone here chosen a less prestigious PhD program? My choices are down to two schools, one is a private school (ranked #18) vs a public school (ranked #51). They both offer the same kind of financial assistance. However, the latter is located at a very reasonable place (price-wise) vs the other. The (less prestigious) school also has more faculty I would like to work with—although not as well known—compared to one person at the other school—this faculty member is a big name. I also have a family so the more affordable place has a lot of allure. I’m just nervous this is something I will regret. Anyone has personal experience or tips? 

As a friend said to me back when I still thought I might have decisions to make, "Does it matter if more prestige will mean a better placement if you aren't able to finish the program?"

I think you have to honestly ask yourself how vulnerable you are to mental illness and what kinds of pressure are hardest for you to hold up under, considering that between 30 and 60% of grad students qualify for diagnosis with moderate to severe depression. That's worse at more prestigious programs, typically, and the higher end of the spectrum correlates to being a woman, non-white, not hetero/cis, etc. You know your own risks, and you probably have the best sense of whether or not you're at risk of being in the 50% of grad students who don't complete their degrees. I find it helpful to think of the differences in appeal, financial comfort, fit, etc. as differences in risk to you, your health, and your program completion. (Cheery, I know, but we're playing a dangerous game entering academia anyway.)