Jump to content
filoso

Choosing MA: Tufts/Brandeis/CUNY

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I just received a few MA offers (Brandeis Tufts CUNY) and might need some advice or information on them. My AOI is now epistemology and mind.

  1. Basically I am now deciding between Tufts and Brandeis due to their placement records. But I don’t know how exactly this record thing works, esp. when they run so close to each other on this. Tufts has relatively more “big names” on its list but what does this say on the program itself exactly? (Or is it just better reputation draws more attention from the talents and all credits actually go to the hardworkers themselves?…)
  2. Anyone knows more about their academic-wise difference? Like the strength of faculties in epistemology and mind/department atmosphere etc.? 
  3. I am aware of the limited resource in CUNY for ma due to their primary focus on phd students, but is there any possible factor I overlooked actually weighs more than the strength of the other two programs?

Additionally, the financial aid from Tufts leaves me a tuition gap of 20k and Brandeis one of 30k, and their TA stipend could cover a little more (maybe 4k at most). CUNY’s total tuition is 15k with no aid.

Any advice on these matters would help! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Brandeis grad, I can say it’s an incredible place to be especially if you’re interested in epistemology and mind. Also the placement for this year isn’t up yet but should be quite strong. Feel free to pm me and we can discuss further. You’ve got a number of great options!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be better if you do not need to take any loans, but since all of the three are not fully funded, I'd say Tufts. It is one of the best program and cheaper than Brandeis in your case. As for CUNY,  I think, for the reason you pointed out in 3, a terminal MA would be a better choice. Try talk to current graduate students at Tufts & Brandeis before you make the decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're absolutely determined to throw money at a pipe dream, then go with Tufts. It's a mistake to take on this much debt for an MA, but the cost of living in NYC is much higher, and will cancel out the price difference, and so will TAing at Tufts. Even if Brandeis were clearly better than Tufts--and it's not--the 10k debt difference is a big deal. So: Tufts.

But honestly, I don't think you should do it.

 

8 hours ago, filoso said:
  1. Basically I am now deciding between Tufts and Brandeis due to their placement records. But I don’t know how exactly this record thing works, esp. when they run so close to each other on this. Tufts has relatively more “big names” on its list but what does this say on the program itself exactly? (Or is it just better reputation draws more attention from the talents and all credits actually go to the hardworkers themselves?…)

They're both good, and fine. Generally, when looking at placements, you want to get a sense of which kinds of students are getting placed--in other words, which advisors are routinely placing students, and which aren't. You also want a sense of what proportion of the graduating class is placing, and what kinds of programs they're being placed into. But neither program offers that information, and their yearly lists of placements look great. So do what's cheapest.

Reputation and prestige matter a lot more for placement into TT jobs than they do for placement into PhD programs from an MA. And both Tufts and Brandeis enjoy excellent MA reputations. Don't sweat it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, episteme7 said:

As a Brandeis grad, I can say it’s an incredible place to be especially if you’re interested in epistemology and mind. Also the placement for this year isn’t up yet but should be quite strong. Feel free to pm me and we can discuss further. You’ve got a number of great options!

1

Thx a lot! I really cannot tell much of a difference from their faculty settings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, maxhgns said:

If you're absolutely determined to throw money at a pipe dream, then go with Tufts. It's a mistake to take on this much debt for an MA, but the cost of living in NYC is much higher, and will cancel out the price difference, and so will TAing at Tufts. Even if Brandeis were clearly better than Tufts--and it's not--the 10k debt difference is a big deal. So: Tufts.

But honestly, I don't think you should do it.

This.

It is seriously quite unnecessary and unfortunate to take on debt for an MA in philosophy. Don't do it.

Tufts is great, but taking on a pile of debt will cause your bones to ache for years. It isn't worth it when the market gives you no expectation of solvency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CUNY MA shouldn’t be on the radar. It’s not worth it. I had the same question here a while back. It’s nothing more than a cash cow. 

And tufts, if money is not much of an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.