Jump to content

Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD


Recommended Posts

Did anyone else apply to Temple? I know we had to go through that interfolio site, and I submitted my interfolio materials to the application on Friday, but still haven't seen it uploaded onto my Temple application. Emailed the graduate admissions chair yesterday, but he hasn't responded 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else's brain like: "omg its Jan 2- the holidays are over please read my application now!!!" Two weeks from now, a lot of us will be hearing some great news! I know it's hard to stay positi

Hi everyone, 1st year clinical (Ph.D.) student here. I remember being in your place around this time last year (and several years before that), and found myself reminiscing how awful all those fe

I think that's it for this cycle for me. There's not really a point to this post other than maybe some kind of closure? I've checked this site countless times a day for so many months, but there's no

Posted Images

On 11/18/2019 at 1:53 PM, Schy said:

Is anyone else realizing that some programs they PLANNED on applying to recently updated who is accepting students for FAll2020? Literally, last week a school that was in my top 3 removed BOTH faculty members from the list and I'm just ?????????????? frustrated. I understand it's due to personal reasons and funding and maybe a list of other things, but now I'm like whats the point in even applying???? not to mention I already sent out the request of LORs for that school. 

 

I feel like I need to find another program to try and replace it, but there aren't a lot of people with a focus in behavioral economics/substance abuse *cries* 

 

This happened to me. I already sent the LOR and GRE scores, then my POI for one of my schools switched. Luckily it was only one school, but it would've been nice to have saved the 30 bucks from sending scores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! A little nervous here. My PI uploaded his LOR, but didn’t submit** the LOR for four schools with application deadlines on Dec 1. I contacted him about it today, and he successfully submitted one, but ran into the same problem with the other three. Are schools lenient on when LORs are received and allow a two-day grace period? I know that because all three letters are not uploaded, the application is considered “incomplete” and it is past the deadline. 
 

Especially worried because without those three schools, the number of schools I “applied” to is very low. 
 

Thanks!

 

Edited by Chekashi_69
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up, due to recommendation portal issues a recommender never received an email to upload a recommendation. I had cancelled the recommendation and added an alternate email address which worked and that person uploaded their letter last Wednesday.  Got an email today that my application was incomplete due to this cancelled recommendation still not being completed.  Called program coordinator to correct the issue and after some difficulty understanding, she realized what I was saying and remedied the problem.  It was University of Southern Miss counseling psychology. 

Also, same recommender had issue at Texas Tech counseling psychology upload.  Called the graduate school and hers was uploaded, but another recommender's file had an error message when trying to open.  That recommender is emailing directly tonight.  Texas Tech was the only program I could not see the status of the recommendation letters.

So make sure if you can not see the recommendation letter status that they are in fact viewable and submitted, and if you have cancelled a recommendation be sure that it is not marking your application as incomplete. 

 

Good luck to all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, forensicpsyc said:

Just a heads up, due to recommendation portal issues a recommender never received an email to upload a recommendation. I had cancelled the recommendation and added an alternate email address which worked and that person uploaded their letter last Wednesday.  Got an email today that my application was incomplete due to this cancelled recommendation still not being completed.  Called program coordinator to correct the issue and after some difficulty understanding, she realized what I was saying and remedied the problem.  It was University of Southern Miss counseling psychology. 

Also, same recommender had issue at Texas Tech counseling psychology upload.  Called the graduate school and hers was uploaded, but another recommender's file had an error message when trying to open.  That recommender is emailing directly tonight.  Texas Tech was the only program I could not see the status of the recommendation letters.

So make sure if you can not see the recommendation letter status that they are in fact viewable and submitted, and if you have cancelled a recommendation be sure that it is not marking your application as incomplete. 

 

Good luck to all!

Had the same issue with Texas tech!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In tune with the others with applciation submission issues, I just got an email from a former college I attended that I needed to "authorize" my transcripts to send to Rutgers. I just authorized it, however (obviously) its late. Ugh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To everyone concerned about LOR matters, I would email graduate coordinators about school specific policies. I think most universities will provide a grace period for letter submitters. But, it's probably unique to each program. Unless the application portal closed right at midnight December 1st, you might be okay!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chekashi_69 said:

Hey everyone! A little nervous here. My PI uploaded his LOR, but didn’t submit** the LOR for four schools with application deadlines on Dec 1. I contacted him about it today, and he successfully submitted one, but ran into the same problem with the other three. Are schools lenient on when LORs are received and allow a two-day grace period? I know that because all three letters are not uploaded, the application is considered “incomplete” and it is past the deadline. 
 

Especially worried because without those three schools, the number of schools I “applied” to is very low. 
 

Thanks!

 

This is probably school specific. I'd contact the grad coordinators and note that everything was submitted on time, and ask if there is a grace period for the letters. You are probably in the clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So UMD has a very specific prompt for their personal statement:

The Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (1,000-2,000 words) should address the following questions:

  1. What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study at the University of Maryland? Indicate, if appropriate, any specific areas of research interest. You may wish to discuss past work in your intended field and allied fields, your plans for a professional career, or how you developed your interest in or knowledge of your chosen subject.
  2. What life experiences you have had that you feel have prepared you to pursue a graduate degree at a large, diverse institution such as the University of Maryland? Among the items you might care to include would be your financial, community and family background, whether you are the first person in your family to pursue a higher education, or any other factors that you feel would contribute to the diversity of our academic community. You may also wish to give the graduate admissions committee some examples of your determination to pursue your goals, your initiative and ability to develop ideas, and /or your capacity for working through problems independently.

I've already written a personal statement for the program, but it I didn't format it in the order their prompt shows, nor did I answer it at as two distinct questions. Should I reformat to do that? Or are they just asking for that information to be in the personal statement? The application is due on the third so I'm kinda starting to panic...  

Edited by MaybeMaybe2020
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

So UMD has a very specific prompt for their personal statement:

The Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (1,000-2,000 words) should address the following questions:

  1. What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study at the University of Maryland? Indicate, if appropriate, any specific areas of research interest. You may wish to discuss past work in your intended field and allied fields, your plans for a professional career, or how you developed your interest in or knowledge of your chosen subject.
  2. What life experiences you have had that you feel have prepared you to pursue a graduate degree at a large, diverse institution such as the University of Maryland? Among the items you might care to include would be your financial, community and family background, whether you are the first person in your family to pursue a higher education, or any other factors that you feel would contribute to the diversity of our academic community. You may also wish to give the graduate admissions committee some examples of your determination to pursue your goals, your initiative and ability to develop ideas, and /or your capacity for working through problems independently.

I've already written a personal statement for the program, but it I didn't format it in the order their prompt shows, nor did I answer it at as two distinct questions. Should I reformat to do that? Or are they just asking for that information to be in the personal statement? The application is due on the third so I'm kinda starting to panic...  

Did you address those two questions in some shape or form? My mistake was always following the prompt to the T, answering all prompt questions in a specific order and it caused my OG statements to sound horrible. Advice I was given was you should answer those questions in a narrative, fluid way. All that to say...don't reformat it if you answered those questions in some way! 

Edited by justacigar
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, justacigar said:

Did you address those two questions in some shape or form? My mistake was always following the prompt to the T, answering all prompt questions in a specific order and it caused my OG statements to sound horrible. Advice I was given was you should answer those questions in a narrative, fluid way. All that to say...don't reformat it if you answered those questions in some way! 

Yea so my SOP addresses all those points, it's just not formatted as answering two different questions. Instead, like you said, I've tried to lay it out in a narrative.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the psycas portal it recommends uploading applications 4 weeks before the deadline. I was planning to submit things in the few days before the cutoff. 

I'm wondering why this is listed as a recommendation, and what people's experiences have been with psycas. Running into issues, positive experiences, anything really. 

Thank you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

Yea so my SOP addresses all those points, it's just not formatted as answering two different questions. Instead, like you said, I've tried to lay it out in a narrative.  

Then you are 99.99% fine! I don't think any universities are expected a numbered statement or anything. They want to know how you relay this info in essay form. You good!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, bruno516 said:

On the psycas portal it recommends uploading applications 4 weeks before the deadline. I was planning to submit things in the few days before the cutoff. 

I'm wondering why this is listed as a recommendation, and what people's experiences have been with psycas. Running into issues, positive experiences, anything really. 

Thank you! 

LOL, four weeks?? I don't have any prior experience with PSYCAS before this cycle so I'm not sure about issues. It has given me updates about my application when they've received test scores, transcripts, and LORs, and I uploaded everything else myself. Not sure why they'd recommend turning it in that early.

Overall, hated PSYCAS, 0/10 would not apply again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, justacigar said:

LOL, four weeks?? I don't have any prior experience with PSYCAS before this cycle so I'm not sure about issues. It has given me updates about my application when they've received test scores, transcripts, and LORs, and I uploaded everything else myself. Not sure why they'd recommend turning it in that early.

Overall, hated PSYCAS, 0/10 would not apply again 

Ditto definitely not a huge fan. Widener's app is due on Saturday, so in my brain I was like "okay smooth things out have it in by friday."  Then when I saw four weeks I panicked. 

If they recommend 4 weeks, that doesn't really bode well for the program working effectively right?? lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bruno516 said:

On the psycas portal it recommends uploading applications 4 weeks before the deadline. I was planning to submit things in the few days before the cutoff. 

I'm wondering why this is listed as a recommendation, and what people's experiences have been with psycas. Running into issues, positive experiences, anything really. 

Thank you! 

Yeah I’ve used PSYCAS last application cycle and again this application cycle. So I think they recommend submitting it weeks in advance because it gives the PSYCAS people ample time to actually send the completed application to the program(s). 
 

Unfortunately with third-parties like PSYCAS, things aren’t always immediately done. It may take some time for your application to get to it’s destination, especially when its high-traffic like now when everyone is submitting. 
 

I don’t want to discourage you, but that’s just an idea. It’s still a chance that your application will make it to the programs with no problem. Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MaybeMaybe2020 said:

So UMD has a very specific prompt for their personal statement:

The Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (1,000-2,000 words) should address the following questions:

  1. What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study at the University of Maryland? Indicate, if appropriate, any specific areas of research interest. You may wish to discuss past work in your intended field and allied fields, your plans for a professional career, or how you developed your interest in or knowledge of your chosen subject.
  2. What life experiences you have had that you feel have prepared you to pursue a graduate degree at a large, diverse institution such as the University of Maryland? Among the items you might care to include would be your financial, community and family background, whether you are the first person in your family to pursue a higher education, or any other factors that you feel would contribute to the diversity of our academic community. You may also wish to give the graduate admissions committee some examples of your determination to pursue your goals, your initiative and ability to develop ideas, and /or your capacity for working through problems independently.

I've already written a personal statement for the program, but it I didn't format it in the order their prompt shows, nor did I answer it at as two distinct questions. Should I reformat to do that? Or are they just asking for that information to be in the personal statement? The application is due on the third so I'm kinda starting to panic...  

You may have already submitted. I'm very familiar with UMD and the psyc department. They really pride themselves on diversity. I think as long as you have the information in there, you're ok but I would definitely double check to make sure you address diversity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, psycstudent2018 said:

You may have already submitted. I'm very familiar with UMD and the psyc department. They really pride themselves on diversity. I think as long as you have the information in there, you're ok but I would definitely double check to make sure you address diversity.

Thank you for the information!

I've been lucky enough to have lived in four different countries, and as a result have gotten interact with people from from all sorts of cultural/socio economic backgrounds. I've tried to relay this information in there as best as possible, so fingers crossed it plays to my advantage! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was about to post this in the interview thread, but decided here would be better! Is it common to be invited for a preliminary phone/skype before the actual interview day? Or is it more common to just be invited straight to the interview day? 

I know it depends on program/PI, but wanted to hear about other people's experiences!

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bri j. said:

Was about to post this in the interview thread, but decided here would be better! Is it common to be invited for a preliminary phone/skype before the actual interview day? Or is it more common to just be invited straight to the interview day? 

I know it depends on program/PI, but wanted to hear about other people's experiences!

I think it depends on the the POI. Last year I had two interviews, one where I had to have a pre-skype interview first, and one where I didn't. Some POIs might want to have a pre-skype interview if you don't  have experience with what they're currently doing just to make sure you can actually succeed in their lab.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bri j. said:

Was about to post this in the interview thread, but decided here would be better! Is it common to be invited for a preliminary phone/skype before the actual interview day? Or is it more common to just be invited straight to the interview day? 

I know it depends on program/PI, but wanted to hear about other people's experiences!

I concur with @MaybeMaybe2020, very dependent on the POI. Some may have already completed a Skype or phone call with potential participants before applications were due. 

Also, THANK YOU for using this thread and not the interview thread! Every time someone posts something on there I think it's another invite 😅

Edited by justacigar
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frued's Cat said:

Do you both have specific experience in forensic psychology research? 

I do! :) Weirdly enough, all of my research experience over the past four years has been forensic - but I was lucky to attend an undergrad institution with a heavy forensic area within their psychology department. I'm currently working as a post-bacc research coordinator at a forensic psychiatric hospital under a different PI, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.