dancedementia

Fall 2020 Clinical & Counseling PhD/PsyD

2 hours ago, clincal_j said:

Is there anyone who is applying for the second/third time? What was the biggest reason you think you didn't get it, and what are you doing differently this year?

This is my 3rd try. First time was right out of college. No luck no interviews. 2nd try was right out of MS program & I got 2 interviews but no offers. This time I have been working in a top research lab, have amazing recommendations, have the masters degree & a BCBA license. I don’t know what more I can do if it doesn’t work out this time. 

2 hours ago, clincal_j said:

Is there anyone who is applying for the second/third time? What was the biggest reason you think you didn't get it, and what are you doing differently this year?

Me, for the second time!

I applied to eight schools while completing my undergraduate degree last year. I did get one acceptance but similar to others' stories, it was partially funded and I don't want to go into debt. I did receive interviews for 4/8 programs so I don't necessary think it was a specific aspect holding me back - there were just so many qualified applicants and it was hard to complete with individuals who had 1 or more years of post-bacc work while still an undergrad. I secured a post-bacc research coordinator position myself in June in exactly the same area I want to go into (clinical forensic) and have definitely beefed up my CV with a few more conference presentations and many new skills. Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone else come across the following question in a lot of their apps? "If we are unable to offer you admission with clinical training, would you be interested in being admitted to the program for research training only?".

I'm worried about what I should say, I REALLY want to get into a clinical program but I'd rather get into something than nothing. If I say yes will that negatively effect my chances of getting into a clinical program? (meaning they think I'm not as serious about clinical)

Edited by optimisticapplicant

5 minutes ago, optimisticapplicant said:

Has anyone else come across the following question in a lot of their apps? "If we are unable to offer you admission with clinical training, would you be interested in being admitted to the program for research training only?".

I'm worried about what I should say, I REALLY want to get into a clinical program but I'd rather get into something than nothing. If I say yes will that negatively effect my chances of getting into a clinical program? (meaning they think I'm not as serious about clinical)

That's just a way for programs to grow their cash-cow masters' degree programs from the applicants who are ultimately not admitted. I would not think too much of marking that response one way or the other (it's not a test). 

Dilemma of the day. One of my apps is due on Friday & is missing a recommendation. It only allows 3 requests. I have 4 recommenders. Do I delete the one that’s missing & add my 4th reference to the app? Do I send the reminder & wait & if so how long do I wait? The recommender has done more than half of them & the rest aren’t due till 12/1 so I’m not worried about those yet. 

On 11/10/2019 at 9:07 AM, 2ndTimeHopeful said:

Dilemma of the day. One of my apps is due on Friday & is missing a recommendation. It only allows 3 requests. I have 4 recommenders. Do I delete the one that’s missing & add my 4th reference to the app? Do I send the reminder & wait & if so how long do I wait? The recommender has done more than half of them & the rest aren’t due till 12/1 so I’m not worried about those yet. 

I would suggest you wait. When I applied, I had one recommender submit most of their letters on the due date. Stressful? Yes, but the recommendations got in. I think a reminder email a couple days before should suffice. Good luck with the admission cycle!