When to give up? SLP Grad School

21 hours ago, Mikaela25 said:

Definitely adding some of these schools to my list. I'm currently looking to possibly become an SLPA in Texas and give the applying process one last try. I've never been to Texas, any good areas you recommend? What was your SLPA experience like?

I live in Dallas and there’s several home health jobs available right now from what I’ve heard from other assistants. The office that I’m at right now has had several assistants leave due to the Medicaid pay cuts, but I really like working in home health, it’s a little crazy sometimes, but you get used to it. We work with both kids and adults. 

18 hours ago, rahopper said:

If you do not want to retake the GRE which I completely understand, look into programs that do not require the GRE!!

I know Illinois State University is one. 

thank you!! 

In a similar boat. Applied to 9 schools throughout the US and got waitlisted to one, denied to most. Waiting for one more. (Not looking too great) I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants this so bad it hurts. My GPA is a 3.1 so very low. Hoping next cycle goes a little better and in the meantime I will be applying for slpa fieldwork so I can work in this field. Giving you a virtual hug because I know we both need it! 

24 minutes ago, eveB said:

In a similar boat. Applied to 9 schools throughout the US and got waitlisted to one, denied to most. Waiting for one more. (Not looking too great) I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants this so bad it hurts. My GPA is a 3.1 so very low. Hoping next cycle goes a little better and in the meantime I will be applying for slpa fieldwork so I can work in this field. Giving you a virtual hug because I know we both need it! 

It's so discouraging, but i'm trying to stay positive. Thank you for your kind words and best of luck ❤️ I'm applying to be an SLPA as well in the Texas area. 

I clearly have the background and experience! My GRE scores were similar to yours, so I decided to apply to programs that didn't take GRE scores. I applied to NOVA (in FL) but online and a school in MI named Andrews University. I got into both. Do not give up. You will get in somewhere. Find schools that meet your stats and do not be afraid to apply to schools that seem like a reach. I got waitlisted to my safety school and into my top choice. Each school looks for something different. I know people who got in with your GPA as well. So, don't feel discouraged. I would suggest going all out next round. I know applications are crazy expensive (as I am sure you know, too), so save up haha. 

You've got this! Son;t give up! You have so much experience that any grad school should be happy to have you. 

On 4/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, TeamNoSleep said:

I clearly have the background and experience! My GRE scores were similar to yours, so I decided to apply to programs that didn't take GRE scores. I applied to NOVA (in FL) but online and a school in MI named Andrews University. I got into both. Do not give up. You will get in somewhere. Find schools that meet your stats and do not be afraid to apply to schools that seem like a reach. I got waitlisted to my safety school and into my top choice. Each school looks for something different. I know people who got in with your GPA as well. So, don't feel discouraged. I would suggest going all out next round. I know applications are crazy expensive (as I am sure you know, too), so save up haha. 

You've got this! Son;t give up! You have so much experience that any grad school should be happy to have you. 

Thank you so much! I’m trying not to give up. I plan on moving to gain even more experience and broaden my scope of practice. I appreciate the encouraging words and advice, it means a lot ?

On 4/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, Mikaela25 said:

How do you find those? Just a Google search? Also, I checked them out and saw their app. was due in February, but they're still looking for students?

Hi Mikaela, I believe Maryville in St. Louis is also pre-accreditation. If you think it's your GRE scores that are holding you back, I would say apply to schools that don't require the GRE. I know that Nova Southeastern= and Florida International do not require it. 

Could you retake some classes that took your GPA down? I just got into graduate school and they told me the biggest thing they looked at was GPA. They told us we need a 3.6 or higher. 

45 minutes ago, Prisci aslp said:

I got wait listed at BGSU,WMU and ohio university. But still dint hear back anything from them. Is there any chance to get accepted off the wait list from these schools? 

According to ASHA EdFind, last year BGSU, WMU, and Ohio offered admission to 84, 86, and 46 people on the waitlist respectively, so I wouldn't give up hope yet! Good luck! :) 

24 minutes ago, Prisci aslp said:

@Rezzy S. So there chance for me to get off the wait list? 

Yes, there's definitely a chance, but I think it's always hard to know for sure. Some programs are only able to offer admission to 5 or 10 people on the waitlist, while a couple of your programs offer it to 80 or so, which is the higher end of what I've seen. Unfortunately you won't know until you know which can be so frustrating ? but your odds could be worse. I really hope it works out for you! 

Edited by Rezzy S.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, Kayla Gamble said:

Could you retake some classes that took your GPA down? I just got into graduate school and they told me the biggest thing they looked at was GPA. They told us we need a 3.6 or higher. 

I thought about it, but in all my CSD courses I got A's and B's. The classes that are bringing my GPA down are physics and biology, those extra classes that are apart of our major but aren't CSD specific classes. 

I have a similar GPA and lower GRE score. I was very nervous that I was not going to get accepted my first round. I was recently accepted to Saint Marys College. I had a lot of experience as well and I feel that helped me.  I think you have great experiences that make you a great applicant. I recommend going to ASHA edfind and look at all the schools and narrow them down. I focused on applying to schools that receive fewer applications (compared to other schools) and with low GPA acceptance rate. Good luck!

I know it has been said, but focus on your GRE. I know that the schools I applied to had a "cut-off" of 300 combined verbal and quant and didn't even look at your application if you didn't have that. I'd also suggest taking some online courses to raise your GPA, but I don't think your GPA is a dealbreaker as-is. You have a lot of good experience and it sounds like you have covered your bases in most areas, but the numbers are holding you back. I know how much that sucks; some people would be fabulous SLPs but aren't good test-takers. It's ironic that our field is trying to move away from standardized tests as a standalone diagnostic tool but we still have "cut-off scores" from the GRE for graduate entry, but that's where we are.

On 4/24/2019 at 12:21 AM, swimbikespeech said:

I know it has been said, but focus on your GRE. I know that the schools I applied to had a "cut-off" of 300 combined verbal and quant and didn't even look at your application if you didn't have that. I'd also suggest taking some online courses to raise your GPA, but I don't think your GPA is a dealbreaker as-is. You have a lot of good experience and it sounds like you have covered your bases in most areas, but the numbers are holding you back. I know how much that sucks; some people would be fabulous SLPs but aren't good test-takers. It's ironic that our field is trying to move away from standardized tests as a standalone diagnostic tool but we still have "cut-off scores" from the GRE for graduate entry, but that's where we are.

I 100% agree. It's so frustrating, i'm planning on applying for spring admissions and hoping for the best!

On 4/23/2019 at 9:24 PM, SLP_2B said:

I have a similar GPA and lower GRE score. I was very nervous that I was not going to get accepted my first round. I was recently accepted to Saint Marys College. I had a lot of experience as well and I feel that helped me.  I think you have great experiences that make you a great applicant. I recommend going to ASHA edfind and look at all the schools and narrow them down. I focused on applying to schools that receive fewer applications (compared to other schools) and with low GPA acceptance rate. Good luck!

I've been glued to Edfind for days on end. I found some schools with spring admissions and i'm hoping this will increase my chances. Thank you for the advice :) 

Listen, if it is your passion go for it! My GRE scores were way way way lower than yours lol. There are a few schools that dont even look at GRE. One school I was accepted to was Governors State and there is no GRE required. Cal state at san marco also doesnt require GRE. i believe a school in Texas also doesnt require a GRE. Thankfully I am Grateful that I was accepted to two schools this year and I promise you my GRE Stats were extremely low. so low, casper the ghost might as well have taken that test for me. Also my overall GPA was low and barely hit the requirement. my CSD GPA was pretty avg i felt. 3.52. your welcome to message me if you want advice or I can share what schools I applied to. 
Best of luck ❤️

• 1 month later...

Look at West Texas A&M university in Canyon. They are outside of Amarillo TX and often overlooked due to most people applying to Texas Tech (where I did undergrad) or Eastern New Mexico in Portales NM. 

Do NOT give up. I graduated in ‘13 with my BS in speech language hearing sciences from Tech. Waitlisted for them 2 times. I took some time off for my kids- I actually had my son while in my first year of SLHS undergrad and my daughter the day I finished my senior year! (Took my last final that morning and had her that afternoon) 

anyways, I decided to work as a SLPA for some experience. Texas Woman’s University in Denton has the online SLP program. Well, I applied for cycle 9- waitlisted. Continued working in my school district and when cycle 10 for TWU came around, I applied again. The only thing I changed was my Letter of intent. I was very honest and raw about why I needed to attend their program- guess what?! I was accepted a week before they stated they would notify applicants of acceptance! I just finished kick off week in Denton and my first week of distance classes. I. LOVE. IT. My 35 year old self is finally going to be a SLP!!! 

Girl, if you move to TX and obtain a SLPA job, esp in the schools and TWU hosts a cycle 11, which I can’t see why they won’t- I would say apply. You will need to have your last 60 hours of coursework to be over a 3.0 but my cohort was averaging 3.7. GREs were 145-150 and about a 3-4 on the writing. My Avg was I think 3.7 and gre was right in the avg stars except I had a 5 on writing. If anything, some of these programs like mine who look at last 60 hrs of course work do NOT state it needs to be communication disorder. Take something easy BUT make sure that the amount you take will delete the amount of negative to reach 60. It’s hard to explain but they won’t allow you to cherrypick the best grades to configure the 60. If you have 58 hours of amazing grades but have a previous semester of not so good, they would take that not so good to have the minimum of 60 if you didn’t take a course to obtain the final 2 hours. 

Don’t give up! Have you looked into an summers only programs? I am attending Northern Arizona University Summers Only Program for working SLPAs. I know it might be far but you only go to school for the summer then you do a class a semester online throughout the year when you work back home.

A little background info, I was rejected my first time around and I honestly didn’t have the greatest GPA and I definitely didn’t have good GRE scores. I did retake them when applying the second time but I still didn’t do THAT much better. I worked for 1 year as SLPA before I applied to the program and guess what, I was notified of my acceptance in January! I also got accepted to Midwestern University which I thought would be a hard school to get into. Not all schools rely heavily on GPA and GREs. I’ve seen people with low GPAs and GRE scores get in to regular full time programs! Im not sure if there are any other summers programs but there might be. 

I honestly feel like it was a factor of multiple things. I changed my LOI and when I wrote it I actually mentioned professors there that their interests lined up with mine, I had very good recommendations from SLPs that have supervised me and 1 from my boss who is the director of my clinic and of course lastly my experience I think helped. You seem like you have a lot of experience so I wouldn’t give up!