Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This is my 4th time applying to grad school. I have been wait listed or denied everywhere I have applied for the last 4 years. For 3 of the 4 years I have worked and tried to do something in the field of speech pathology or close to it. I was a teachers aide for one year and the last 2 years I have worked in Florida at a middle school under a provisional license as a SLP maintaining a caseload of 70 students, writing IEP's, completing evaluations, working with AAC, etc. I had all the roles and responsibilities of a Masters Level SLP, but I was under the provisional license. I've had strong letters of recommendation written for me, I'd like to think my statement of purpose was strong as I had it edited by tons and tons of SLP's in the school district I am working in currently. In undergrad I was involved in CSD groups, had a job through the university mentoring incoming CSD freshman. My cumulative GPA was a 3.2, my GRE was verbal- 145, qualitative- 145, writing- 4. I am so frustrated being denied over and over again. When do you throw in the towel and say this just isn't meant for me? Although, it is also your biggest passion. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In a similar boat. Applied to 9 schools throughout the US and got waitlisted to one, denied to most. Waiting for one more. (Not looking too great) I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants this so bad i

Your GRE is WAY TOO LOW. Retake it! Surely you can get at least a 150+ on the Verbal section.   EDIT: Your score is only good for 5 years anyway! Study, study, study and retake it!

I know it has been said, but focus on your GRE. I know that the schools I applied to had a "cut-off" of 300 combined verbal and quant and didn't even look at your application if you didn't have that.

11 minutes ago, katherinexo said:

Don't give up if this is your biggest passion! 

Have you thought about applying out of state? 

I'm from Ohio and moved to Florida for the past 2 years to bulk my resume by working as an SLP under a provisional license, I am willing to do anything! I've honestly applied all over, i'm not afraid to move and explore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikaela25 said:

This is my 4th time applying to grad school. I have been wait listed or denied everywhere I have applied for the last 4 years. For 3 of the 4 years I have worked and tried to do something in the field of speech pathology or close to it. I was a teachers aide for one year and the last 2 years I have worked in Florida at a middle school under a provisional license as a SLP maintaining a caseload of 70 students, writing IEP's, completing evaluations, working with AAC, etc. I had all the roles and responsibilities of a Masters Level SLP, but I was under the provisional license. I've had strong letters of recommendation written for me, I'd like to think my statement of purpose was strong as I had it edited by tons and tons of SLP's in the school district I am working in currently. In undergrad I was involved in CSD groups, had a job through the university mentoring incoming CSD freshman. My cumulative GPA was a 3.2, my GRE was verbal- 145, qualitative- 145, writing- 4. I am so frustrated being denied over and over again. When do you throw in the towel and say this just isn't meant for me? Although, it is also your biggest passion. 

 

 

 

What are some of the schools you’ve applied to? I definitely don’t think you should give up if it’s your passion. Have you thought of retaking the GREs? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, VS-SLP2B said:

What are some of the schools you’ve applied to? I definitely don’t think you should give up if it’s your passion. Have you thought of retaking the GREs? 

Jacksonville University (where I currently live), FSU-online, Ohio University, Marshall University, Central Michigan, Michigan State, Appalachian State, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Baldwin Wallace, Cleveland State. I think thats all.. there's probably more. I'm a terrible test taker so re-doing the GRE is not what I want to do. 

Edited by Mikaela25
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mikaela25 said:

Jacksonville University (where I currently live), FSU-online, Ohio University, Marshall University, Central Michigan, Michigan State, Appalachian State, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Baldwin Wallace, Cleveland State. I think thats all.. there's probably more. I'm a terrible test taker so re-doing the GRE is not what I want to do. 

I totally get not wanting to retake the GRE. You definitely have a lot of experience which is a positive but unfortunately schools weigh heavily on GPAs and GRE scores. I’m sure many people don’t like, I certainly don’t, it but it’s a painful truth. I looked at some of those same schools when I was getting ready to apply and I know from the ASHA Edfind site many accept GPAs starting at a 3.0 which would mean you just fall inside the range. Have you ever thought of applying to schools that offer an even larger GPA range like University of South Carolina which shows the GPA range starting at a 2.5? I’m not sure that’s the best advice but I have a similar GPA and GRE scores as you do and if I had to do this again I would definitely find and apply to schools that offered a larger range. 

Alternatively, you could see about maybe taking some courses to boost your GPA? 

I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. You’re definitely passionate about this, you wouldn’t have tried for so long if you weren’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikaela25 said:

Jacksonville University (where I currently live), FSU-online, Ohio University, Marshall University, Central Michigan, Michigan State, Appalachian State, Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Baldwin Wallace, Cleveland State. I think thats all.. there's probably more. I'm a terrible test taker so re-doing the GRE is not what I want to do. 

Apply to schools that are pre accreditation! For example Faulkner in Alabama! They are looking for students!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avschilling said:

Apply to schools that are pre accreditation! For example Faulkner in Alabama! They are looking for students!  

How do you find those? Just a Google search? Also, I checked them out and saw their app. was due in February, but they're still looking for students?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, futurespeechteach said:

I've heard there is a new SLP program in Miami that is easier to get into...Albizu University. Might be worth a shot! This is my greatest fear.....good luck, I hope it happens for you !

thank you!! I appreciate it🤗

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hopefulfuturespeechie said:

I applied to newer programs and I think that is why I have had the most success. I will be Concordia University - Wisconsin's first cohort, but I'm going to be a SLP thats all that matters. I only had a 3.4 GPA and 3.5 major GPA with 149 verbal 145 quant. 

I'm writing down the schools you were accepted to, for future reference. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mikaela25 said:

How do you find those? Just a Google search? Also, I checked them out and saw their app. was due in February, but they're still looking for students?

You can see where schools are in their accreditation process on edfind! As well as how many students applied and what their stats looked like. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VS-SLP2B said:

I totally get not wanting to retake the GRE. You definitely have a lot of experience which is a positive but unfortunately schools weigh heavily on GPAs and GRE scores. I’m sure many people don’t like, I certainly don’t, it but it’s a painful truth. I looked at some of those same schools when I was getting ready to apply and I know from the ASHA Edfind site many accept GPAs starting at a 3.0 which would mean you just fall inside the range. Have you ever thought of applying to schools that offer an even larger GPA range like University of South Carolina which shows the GPA range starting at a 2.5? I’m not sure that’s the best advice but I have a similar GPA and GRE scores as you do and if I had to do this again I would definitely find and apply to schools that offered a larger range. 

Alternatively, you could see about maybe taking some courses to boost your GPA? 

I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. You’re definitely passionate about this, you wouldn’t have tried for so long if you weren’t. 

I appreciate all you had to offer, definitely have a lot to consider if I decide to reapply. Thank you so so much!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mikaela25 don't give up girl!! I almost did this past year and it honestly would have been the biggest mistake I've could have done! I've worked as a SLPA in the schools going on three years and have gotten rejected twice from graduate school. I wanted to give up, but my family and supervisors have been so supportive and have encouraged me to keep going, so I'm encouraging you and anyone else who wants to stop, to do the same. Eventually a door will open, and all the while you're waiting for the opportunity,continue to build yourself in all areas to make sure you're the BEST applicant for the programs you're applying to!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, samiamslp said:

You can see where schools are in their accreditation process on edfind! As well as how many students applied and what their stats looked like. 

thank you so much! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

@Mikaela25 don't give up girl!! I almost did this past year and it honestly would have been the biggest mistake I've could have done! I've worked as a SLPA in the schools going on three years and have gotten rejected twice from graduate school. I wanted to give up, but my family and supervisors have been so supportive and have encouraged me to keep going, so I'm encouraging you and anyone else who wants to stop, to do the same. Eventually a door will open, and all the while you're waiting for the opportunity,continue to build yourself in all areas to make sure you're the BEST applicant for the programs you're applying to!

You're so sweet! I'm trying to stay positive, but after 4 years its so hard. Where were you an SLPA? I've been looking at a lot of SLPA jobs in Texas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mikaela25 said:

You're so sweet! I'm trying to stay positive, but after 4 years its so hard. Where were you an SLPA? I've been looking at a lot of SLPA jobs in Texas.

Aww, thank you! You seem to have a really kindred spirit  yourself, and I just wanted to be of some encouragement to you!

I'm right there with and can empathize with you! I work in Texas in the school district I grew up in! Most of the jobs here are home health based or clinic. Getting a position in the schools is very hard to get and I honestly was in the right place at the right time, and knew a lot of the SLPs in the district because my brother had a speech disorder and received services! But my situation is very unique compared to others lol. 

Edited by BlackGirlSpeechie
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avschilling said:

Apply to schools that are pre accreditation! For example Faulkner in Alabama! They are looking for students!  

Oh yes, such as Speech@Emerson and Nevada state.

@Mikaela25, Don't give up! My CGPA and GRE scores are lower than yours. Maybe you can try having someone look over your SOI and look at who is writing your letters of rec. A lot of schools look at the 'whole picture' so just make sure everything really reflects your passion to this field. For me, I also feel my SOI and LORs along with my experience got me in because my GPA/GRE scores were not competitive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m unsure of the statistics for schools you applied to, OP (GPA average, GRE average, etc.) but be sure that your own stats align closely with your school choices.

As someone had previously mentioned, you may want to strongly consider taking courses to boost your overall GPA. Retaking the GRE is another option but I much prefer the former. One of these stats will need a boost to put you on a more competitive standing.

 

in addition, be sure that your statement is unique and excellent. Have it reviewed by faculty that have had experience with graduate admissions processes or are strong writers and critiquers. The statement is definitely something that stands you out among others.

Finally, don’t give up on your dreams. Do your very best to increase your application credentials for the next round and really out your best foot forward. Be sure to look out for programs that align closely with your stats and do not be afraid to move out for these opportintiies (especially if they provide funding). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't give up! Here are some of my suggestions:

1. As mentioned above, retake the GRE. Enroll in a prep course if possible and do the hw to get those scores above 150.

2. Apply to 10 diverse programs (different states, different focuses, etc.)

3. Regarding your statement, demonstrate your commitment to this field through examples. It's critical to back up any statements with examples about what you've learned through your field experiences. Equally important is that you show FIT! Schools want to know you've done your research and that said program is the best fit for you and your goals.

**I don't know if the schools you listed above were for all four application cycles, but you really need to apply to more schools to give you a better chance. 

Keep enjoying those kiddos at your current job and think positively! Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mikaela25 said:

How do you find those? Just a Google search? Also, I checked them out and saw their app. was due in February, but they're still looking for students?

Use asha edfind! But also just googling state by state! They might not be looking still but I do know that they need cohorts! So every application is favored! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.