Jump to content
TeamNoSleep

Asking to be taken out after accepting offer?

Recommended Posts

Has anyone accepted an offer and then changed their mind and rejected it??? I think I might have to do this and I'm worried an issue might occur. I haven't heard anything about a deposit for the school I accepted, however, I am nervous there will be consequences if I ask them of this!! Btw, this school is my undergraduate school! So it's gonna be awkward too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah shoot that is quite awkward. I think the first thing you should ask yourself is were under a circumstance where you had no choice but to place a deposit down?

One of my choices basically forced me to decide much earlier than the common April 15 date so I might be in the same predicament as you soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in a very similar situation, as well. I have only been accepted at my undergraduate institution. But I have been waitlisted at my top two choices. But one has made it clear I won't hear back until after April 15th and the other doesn't have a timeline, but let's be real it will most likely be after April 15th.  My friends, from my undergrad institution, and family have made it clear that it is okay to rescind your acceptance of an offer for a better offer. I really do not want to do something like that though because it feels like I am burning bridges. My friends keep telling me that it will be fine and they will understand. But I am also trying to convince myself to stay here, even though its not ideally what I want to do. Sorry it is not a straight answer, but I understand what you are going through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aspire_to_Be said:

Ah shoot that is quite awkward. I think the first thing you should ask yourself is were under a circumstance where you had no choice but to place a deposit down?

One of my choices basically forced me to decide much earlier than the common April 15 date so I might be in the same predicament as you soon.

Hey! So I don’t have to place a deposit. So basically, I thought I was rejected from the my top choice (but I wasn’t, I gave them the wrong email) so I decided to accept my school’s offer. And then, behold, next day I find out I got into my top choice. So I’m very stuck. I love my undergrad institution and the professors and all but I know that the other program I got into is a much much better choice for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lasmith said:

I am in a very similar situation, as well. I have only been accepted at my undergraduate institution. But I have been waitlisted at my top two choices. But one has made it clear I won't hear back until after April 15th and the other doesn't have a timeline, but let's be real it will most likely be after April 15th.  My friends, from my undergrad institution, and family have made it clear that it is okay to rescind your acceptance of an offer for a better offer. I really do not want to do something like that though because it feels like I am burning bridges. My friends keep telling me that it will be fine and they will understand. But I am also trying to convince myself to stay here, even though its not ideally what I want to do. Sorry it is not a straight answer, but I understand what you are going through.

Thank you for replying! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one but I’m sorry you might have to go through this. Basically, it’s all my fault. I thought I was rejected from my top choice so I accepted my school’s offer and literally the next day, I found out that I was actually accepted to my top choice. So now...I’m very stuck 😕 I feel like an idiot honestly. If only I waited it out a little long. I love my school but I know the other program is a much better fit for me. I think I MIGHT have to go through with this and let them know of my mistake :( but I haven’t made an officls decision. Hoping to do that by the end of this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TeamNoSleep said:

Thank you for replying! It’s nice to know I’m not the only one but I’m sorry you might have to go through this. Basically, it’s all my fault. I thought I was rejected from my top choice so I accepted my school’s offer and literally the next day, I found out that I was actually accepted to my top choice. So now...I’m very stuck 😕 I feel like an idiot honestly. If only I waited it out a little long. I love my school but I know the other program is a much better fit for me. I think I MIGHT have to go through with this and let them know of my mistake :( but I haven’t made an officls decision. Hoping to do that by the end of this week. 

I feel like if you talked to them about it they would be understanding. Or at least that's what I keep getting told. I've also been told to go sit in our clinical directors office and talk with her. She's really cool and understanding. They ultimately want what's best for you. One hard thing for me is that there is a mandatory orientation on the day I'm suppose to be a bridesmaid and potentially make a cake for one of my best friends and I would be devastated to miss her wedding. But I also got told by my advisor that other places may have mandatory orientations as well. (Sorry I feel like I'm venting about my situation now. And I do not want to take away from you.) 

  You could also try making a pro and cons list for both schools to help you make a better decision. 

But I wish you the best of luck and if you do rescind your offer I would love to hear how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lasmith said:

I feel like if you talked to them about it they would be understanding. Or at least that's what I keep getting told. I've also been told to go sit in our clinical directors office and talk with her. She's really cool and understanding. They ultimately want what's best for you. One hard thing for me is that there is a mandatory orientation on the day I'm suppose to be a bridesmaid and potentially make a cake for one of my best friends and I would be devastated to miss her wedding. But I also got told by my advisor that other places may have mandatory orientations as well. (Sorry I feel like I'm venting about my situation now. And I do not want to take away from you.) 

  You could also try making a pro and cons list for both schools to help you make a better decision. 

But I wish you the best of luck and if you do rescind your offer I would love to hear how it goes. 

That's what I'm being told too! Like, I hope that's the case but what if it isn't? It's so tough because you don't how they're going to react or what they'll think after you do it. I keep getting mixed messages too on here at least (like when I look it up like burning bridges and starting off on a bad not) but our field isn't so small that it could ruin my reputation...right? Lol, I may be overthinking this. It's not like I am randomly changing my mind - I made a mistake thinking I was rejected from another school. And no worries! Feel free to vent haha we all gotta let it out! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just rescind your offer, there won't be any hard feelings. They'll fill up your spot with someone else. The earlier you do it, the better so that they can prepare appropriately. (I rescinded offers from schools, so I speak from experience.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TeamNoSleep said:

That's what I'm being told too! Like, I hope that's the case but what if it isn't? It's so tough because you don't how they're going to react or what they'll think after you do it. I keep getting mixed messages too on here at least (like when I look it up like burning bridges and starting off on a bad not) but our field isn't so small that it could ruin my reputation...right? Lol, I may be overthinking this. It's not like I am randomly changing my mind - I made a mistake thinking I was rejected from another school. And no worries! Feel free to vent haha we all gotta let it out! 

I feel the exact same way. The field is so small, I will probably see them again. And I want to enjoy seeing them again and not feel like I burned a bridge. There the reason I am where I am. But I agree with you, I overthink it so much. I'm glad I'm not alone and have a place to vent it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, speechieontherun said:

Just rescind your offer, there won't be any hard feelings. They'll fill up your spot with someone else. The earlier you do it, the better so that they can prepare appropriately. (I rescinded offers from schools, so I speak from experience.)

Thanks, that's helpful to know. If I  get in, I will do it I will do quickly. Can you tell me more about your experience? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I accepted to all three of three programs I was accepted into, and after I received the financial aid info, I rescinded two (including my undergrad). Just be professional, rescind politely and acknowledge your appreciation for the opportunity as early as you can. Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grad school is a major investment, you are not burning bridges by rescinding your offer you are simply making a choice that is better for you. The earlier you let them know the better. Also it's not like you put down a deposit so you are not missing out either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, speechieontherun said:

Just rescind your offer, there won't be any hard feelings. They'll fill up your spot with someone else. The earlier you do it, the better so that they can prepare appropriately. (I rescinded offers from schools, so I speak from experience.)

Yeah, I think the only thing that worries me is that they really want me (idk why tbh) and I feel so unprofessional doing this, but ultimately, my education is what matters to me. Hopefully, they'll understand. I plan to let them know this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smarieSLP2b said:

Grad school is a major investment, you are not burning bridges by rescinding your offer you are simply making a choice that is better for you. The earlier you let them know the better. Also it's not like you put down a deposit so you are not missing out either.

Thank you! I was looking this up (not geared towards SLP tho) and so many comments were discussing how unprofessional and unethical it is because you gave them your word. It made me feel guilty, but ultimately, I must choose the program that best fits me and my needs and own up to my mistake with my undergrad institution. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the people above! Choosing which school you'd like to go to is a huge deal and you want to be happy with wherever you end up going. I'm in a similar situation as you and the April 15th deadline is approaching fast, so I'm thinking I will put a deposit down at one of the schools I was accepted into. If I get off of the waitlist from one of my tops schools after the 15th, and the tuition and program is better, I will probably rescind my offer. I'm going to feel horrible doing this, but this is a huge chapter in our lives and we want to make the decision that's best for us!! Best of luck with whatever you end up doing :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's a huge deal, though as others said, the sooner the better. I put down a deposit at my second-choice school because they had a strict deadline for acceptance, but then I got taken off the waitlist at my top choice so I'll be declining the one I already accepted at. It happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.