libbyyehca

So I didn't get in.. Now what?

I applied for SLP graduate programs and was not successful with being offered admission. I was waitlisted at one school but received an email stating their cohort was full. I'm disappointed 😕 

Perhaps it's a good thing. There is a lot going on in my personal life right now. 

I don't have stellar grades and I did awful on the GRE (I hate the idea of retaking it-I studied a lot the first time!)

Some words of encouragement and positivity would be lovely ❤️

Do not give up! It took me three application cycles to become accepted into graduate school! Maybe you can take time to volunteer or work in areas related to the field. Take time to improve your application. Feel free to PM me! :)

There is always next year-- or next semester, depending on the program! Grades and GRE scores are not everything, just remember that! Look for grad schools that focus on the whole package, rather than the numbers. Your bio sounds like you have so much experience, so keep doing what you're doing. You gave it a good run, and you'll give it another great one next application season. And also, don't forget to feel proud of yourself-- you worked hard to get to this point, with undergrad, working, and the wild, scary ride that is the application process. You made it through it all! (And you'll make it through again😊

If you're looking for other ideas (schools, careers, and whatever else), there's this thread on here that people have been posting on. 

Best of luck to you!!

It never feels good to have that door shut on you and I understand why you're disappointed. Take time to feel the way you feel and don't feel guilty about it. You worked hard and I can tell from all of your experience you're passionate about the field. We have too few SLPs and yet there are not enough grad spots to go around, leaving eager candidates like you in situations like this. But what defines someone's character is how they respond to adversity. Ignore that nagging voice in your head that says you're not good enough and focus on what you can do. Also, you applied to some really competitive schools. I think if you go with a larger range of programs and use EdFind to compare your stats, you'll get some good news next cycle :).

I didn't get in my first year of applying. So during my gap year I retook the GRE, did some shadowing, and just lived life. You will get in don't stress. It sucks to not get in the first time but it only makes the time you get in sooo much better. Honestly I looked at my gap year I had to take as a blessing being able to breathe and travel and just go at my own pace. You will do great!

I'm sorry to hear that but like you said, maybe it is a good thing for the time being. Do not give up! I did terrible on the GRE as well, so I'd advise you to apply to schools that don't take the GRE (such as Andrews University and Nova Southeastern University). And if you can, expand your options! I got waitlisted at my safety school and accepted to my top... so you can't ever know. You've got this! You can use this time to beef up your resume and to take a break. Try to get a job related to SLP, volunteer, work on your personal statement, etc. I wish you the best of luck!