SSHRC Doctoral 2018-2019 Waitlisted

NavIndWmn

I created this thread to have people to commiserate with and to share and gain information on how the waitlist works. I was told by my school I was waitlisted. I need to wait for the mail to determine my score. This is my first SSHRC application.

Who else has been waitlisted?

Edited by NavIndWmn
typo in thread title

11 minutes ago, NavIndWmn said:

I created this thread to have people to commiserate with and to share and gain information on how the waitlist works. I was told by my school I was waitlisted. I need to wait for the mail to determine my score. This is my first SSHRC application.

Who else has been waitlisted?

Here for this! I'll update when I learn my score/ waitlist position. Hopefully someone with previous experience being on the waitlist can give us some insight as to roughly how much their position moved on the list in the past. 

I was waitlisted with a score of 11.1. Not sure what committee but I’m in psychology. My score seems super low compared to the winners so I’m guessing I’m probably low on the list. 

Edited by PsycUndergrad

2 hours ago, PsycUndergrad said:

I was waitlisted with a score of 11.1. Not sure what committee but I’m in psychology. My score seems super low compared to the winners so I’m guessing I’m probably low on the list. 

Did your physical letter provide any details on how the waitlist works, when you would be updated, or anything like that? Or it just provided your score/committee?

41 minutes ago, elodie said:

Did your physical letter provide any details on how the waitlist works, when you would be updated, or anything like that? Or it just provided your score/committee?

It just gave my score, and not much else. Apparently if funds become available, I will be “advised without delay.” 

13 hours ago, NavIndWmn said:

Does anyone know roughly how many people are waitlisted each year? It would  help me contextualize best case/worse case depending on what place in the waitlist I am.

Based on my committee last year, 72 awarded, 33 applicants were waitlisted, 64 rejected. Old threads from quite a few years ago claimed that the waitlisted applicants from each committee are amalgamated into a mega waitlist. Claiming you may be 5th on your committee, but then 30th on the mega waitlist? Don't know if this is still the case or accurate? Again if anyone with experience being waitlisted from previous years could chime in with details on how this works? : ) 

I emailed the SSHRC about my position on the waitlist and received this response:

"Applicants who are advised that their application has been recommended by the committee but not funded are placed on a waiting / recommended list. SSHRC uses these lists, which are committee specific, to offer awards as funds become available. Periodically, supplementary funds may become available as a result of declines of offered awards, interruptions of awards, early termination of previous awards, etc.  These factors make it complex to predict when or if a particular candidate is likely to secure funding during this competition cycle. Consequently, while SSHRC offers candidates with their relative score, SSHRC does not offer candidates their committee specific ranking.

Should an award become available, SSHRC will contact the next eligible alternate candidate email."

Guess now we play the waiting game!

9 minutes ago, thebestembee said:

I emailed the SSHRC about my position on the waitlist and received this response:

"Applicants who are advised that their application has been recommended by the committee but not funded are placed on a waiting / recommended list. SSHRC uses these lists, which are committee specific, to offer awards as funds become available. Periodically, supplementary funds may become available as a result of declines of offered awards, interruptions of awards, early termination of previous awards, etc.  These factors make it complex to predict when or if a particular candidate is likely to secure funding during this competition cycle. Consequently, while SSHRC offers candidates with their relative score, SSHRC does not offer candidates their committee specific ranking.

Should an award become available, SSHRC will contact the next eligible alternate candidate email."

Guess now we play the waiting game!

That must be new this year because for the last two years they have forwarded me my exact committee ranking. So they give you no indication whatsoever on roughly where you are on the waitlist? That's disappointing. Thanks for the update though. I guess all we have to go on is our score.

I've created a Google Sheet to track relevant awards information, if anyone wants to add their information. (All identifying information is optional, obviously)

LINK: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t69LNyYhZv9jj6I8dPrt7m-9VZVluqRPyMtGwraNOF8/edit?usp=sharing

From the answers I've gotten from SSHRC in the past, it seems that waitlist placement is dependant on committee (as are the scores that it takes to be awarded either a CGS-D or a SSHRC Doctoral Award).

DISCLAIMER: I have not received my letter this year, so I don't actually know where I stand right now, other than that my application was forwarded to Ottawa in January.

I got my letter today in Thunder Bay. 12/20 scored by the multi-disciplinarian committee. Otherwise the same ‘we regret to inform you... but high enough quality’...

Edited by NavIndWmn

Waitlisted with a 10. something (low). Going to try to move on now as I'm likely at the end of the waitlist based on the other posts, and will try again next year. Good luck everyone! 

13 minutes ago, elodie said:

Waitlisted with a 10. something (low). Going to try to move on now as I'm likely at the end of the waitlist based on the other posts, and will try again next year. Good luck everyone! 

What committee? I seen some get a sshrc this year with an 11, it really depends on what committee you end up with.

Just now, NavIndWmn said:

What committee? I seen some get a sshrc this year with an 11, it really depends on what committee you end up with.

How do we know what committee we're with? It's really confusing!

Did someone on here post winning SSHRC with an 11 even or someone you know? That provides a bit of hope. I know some committees have overall higher ranks than others. But I was rejected last year with a 10.5 (112/170 no where near winning) and waitlisted this year (10ish) with an even lower score, uhg.

The only way to know which specific committee is to email SSHRC directly. 

Just now, elodie said:

Did someone on here post winning SSHRC with an 11 even or someone you know? That provides a bit of hope. I know some committees have overall higher ranks than others. But I was rejected last year with a 10.5 (112/170 no where near winning) and waitlisted this year (10ish) with an even lower score, uhg.

Someone from my school posted on our grad studies fb page they got a regular sshrc with an 11.6. I am not sure what committee it was though.

19 minutes ago, elodie said:

My letter said adjudicated by the multi-disciplinarian committee or did they mean by a committee composed of multidisciplinarian people. I thought that was my committee 

ddit: nvm I read it wrong just that is was adjudicated by a multi disciplinarian committee 

Edited by NavIndWmn

15 minutes ago, NavIndWmn said:

My letter said adjudicated by the multi-disciplinarian committee or did they mean by a committee composed of multidisciplinarian people. I thought that was my committee 

ddit: nvm I read it wrong just that is was adjudicated by a multi disciplinarian committee 

Yeah I think every letter / every committee is interdisciplinary. And each category you could have picked upon submission has sub committees. So only SSHRC knows which one reviewed your proposal. Previously they would tell us by email, though this year I'm not sure if they are.

6 minutes ago, elodie said:

Yeah I think every letter / every committee is interdisciplinary. And each category you could have picked upon submission has sub committees. So only SSHRC knows which one reviewed your proposal. Previously they would tell us by email, though this year I'm not sure if they are.

Gah, so it's impossible to even be hopeful about getting off waitlist! I really think if they have the info they ought to let us know. Also, it's not very transparent!

25 minutes ago, WKLP said:

Gah, so it's impossible to even be hopeful about getting off waitlist! I really think if they have the info they ought to let us know. Also, it's not very transparent!

Yeah I have no idea but my guess is there are something like 13 committees in total (2204 applicants).