Neuromantic

2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

On 2/6/2020 at 9:34 AM, neuroo said:

I am also in the same situation. so nervous.... Have you mailed them to ask something about it?

No I have not, but if I hear nothing by the end of this week, I definitely will.

Hey everyone,

I'm just making this post to tell everyone I've been rejected everywhere in the U.S., but received a few offers from Canada and Europe. I have decided to start my PhD in computational neuroscience at University of Toronto this Fall (2020). I applied to these programs in computational, theoretical, and mathematical neuroscience. 

Rejections:

• Boston University
  • California Institute of Technology
  • Carnegie Mellon University-University of Pittsburgh
  • University College London
  • University of California, San Diego
  • University of Chicago
  • University of Oregon
  • University of Washington
  • GPA
    • Undergraduate: 3.3 (Physics major from Indiana University-Bloomington)
      • Includes:  thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, quantum physics, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, neuroscience, biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, epistemology, logic, poetry, ethics, and philosophy of science.
    • Post-baccalaureate: 4.0
  • Research
    • 2 first-author manuscripts and 1 second-author.
    • 4 years of bioinformatics research during undergrad
      • Includes two summer REU's: one in bioinformatics (Cornell University) and one in computational neuroscience (U Chicago)
    • 2 years of NIH postbac IRTA: 1 year of bioinformatics and 1 year of computational neuroscience
      • Two bioinformatics contest awards and one national research award
    • Dozens of GitHub repositories with over ten thousand commits showcasing my work in mathematics, physics, philosophy, computer science, biology, neuroscience, and other areas.
    • It shows my R, python, MATLAB, and Haskell skills in data science, software engineering, machine learning, visualization, pipelines, and other techniques that span computational disciplines.
    • This includes self-study and work from previous labs and internships. 

On 2/7/2020 at 4:29 AM, gaultiero said:

Any intls heard from UT Austin Psych/Neuro after interviews?

Hey,

The Neuro interview weekend is only from Feb 20-24th, so they typically make decisions after that. 

4 hours ago, HopeforNeuroPhd said:

Hey,

The Neuro interview weekend is only from Feb 20-24th, so they typically make decisions after that. 

I see, so intls are not considered in a separate 'queue'?

8 hours ago, RAYHONG said:

Does anyone know if Columbia plans to send out decisions this week or not? 

I got an email that they're meeting again this week to make final decisions, and should let us know soon. Not sure how soon though.

On 2/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, mitochondria_1 said:

I know their last interview weekend is this week. 

Hi, so when did you hear back from UChicago? I thought their interviews were on the last weekend?

Anyone who interviewed at CMU get word on a decision yet? They said they’d make the decision fairly quick but it’s been a couple weeks... paranoia is setting in hard. 

19 hours ago, gaultiero said:

I see, so intls are not considered in a separate 'queue'?

Well, unfortunately no. Decisions are made possibly considering all students interviewing - I think. Some schools might function differently. But I guess interviewing is already a good sign :) 

1 hour ago, Anonyneuron said:

I saw a couple people got interviews to BU GPN. Should I hold onto any hope, or have all invites gone out?! 

Why don't you write to the department? When I wrote to them last week, I heard that there might be batches and that they were going to send out their first batch soon. Reaching out might help you ease your tension. 

8 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Hi, so when did you hear back from UChicago? I thought their interviews were on the last weekend?

I received an offer this past Friday. I interviewed two weeks ago for their cancer biology program. 

has anyone been rejected from harvard yet? I know they already accepted people to PiN im just trying to determine if they're one of those schools who never send out rejections

On 2/10/2020 at 11:35 PM, islandxmelody said:

I got an email that they're meeting again this week to make final decisions, and should let us know soon. Not sure how soon though.

Thanks! I just asked them and they tell me that the decisions will come out at the end of next week? I am confused.

4 hours ago, sirt3 said:

has anyone been rejected from harvard yet? I know they already accepted people to PiN im just trying to determine if they're one of those schools who never send out rejections

I'm still waiting for Harvard to reject me. 

I'm a second year PhD student. 

Just wondering if anyone heard back after the Baylor college of medicine neuroscience interviews ? From the results on last year it looks they release the final results very quickly following the interviews.

Has anyone heard back from Northwestern NUIN after the first two interviews regarding acceptance? I know their final interviews are next Thurs/Fri. 

11 hours ago, zebrafishfan said:

Any new Columbia updates? 

Got an email from POI saying that they’ve decided to accept me and to expect an official letter in a couple of days!

To those who had interview with Berkeley, does anyone know if all the decisions for 1st interviews have come out ?

On 2/19/2020 at 10:31 AM, multivites said:

Anyone heard back from NYU Sackler?

Based on the result section, one person rejected today; someone waitlisted two days ago.

I haven't heard back yet.