2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Neuromantic

Congrats to everyone who's getting accepted!!! So happy for you!!

I'm currently a senior majoring in Neuroscience at Brandeis. If anyone has questions about the environment, PIs, grad level courses, Boston area, etc., feel free to reach out!! I know the current situation with COVID-19 is making potential visits difficult for many prospective students - so I'm happy to chat w/ anyone about decisions or even if you're having a hard time and just want to talk. (Stay safe!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, Mimititi said:

Hey, has anyone heard back from Dartmouth Psychological & Brain Sciences? 

Yeah, I was accepted on March 4th

• 2 weeks later...

I’m waitlisted at Brandeis and saw that 2 people reported getting the R recently (I didn’t get one). Does this possibly indicate a diminishing availability (people accepting)? I know there’s a pandemic and that may be delaying results but argh, I seriously wish they wouldn’t wait til the very last day! Does anyone know if last-day offers would require an immediate response?

On 4/10/2020 at 11:46 AM, baylor_waitlist said:

Congrats! Did they let you know if they are going to accept any applicants from the wait list?

Thanks! They didn't say anything, but it's kinda weird that a waitlist of interviewed candidates may exist, yet they are hosting more interviews (I've never been interviewed btw). Not sure how to interpret this.

What's your situation?

23 minutes ago, gaultiero said:

Thanks! They didn't say anything, but it's kinda weird that a waitlist of interviewed candidates may exist, yet they are hosting more interviews (I've never been interviewed btw). Not sure how to interpret this.

What's your situation?

They interviewed me in January and wait-listed me in February. You are right, it is kind of weird. Either they have a lot more people rejecting offers than they expected, or they are not happy about the candidates they have on their wait list. So are they going to interview you before or after the April 15 deadline?

1 hour ago, baylor_waitlist said:

They interviewed me in January and wait-listed me in February. You are right, it is kind of weird. Either they have a lot more people rejecting offers than they expected, or they are not happy about the candidates they have on their wait list. So are they going to interview you before or after the April 15 deadline?

Yeah its hard to say.

I think they will miss the 15th deadline, unless they can do the interviews really quickly (three 1-on-1 with PIs). 

• 4 months later...
On 12/22/2019 at 2:21 AM, Mimititi said:

I can tell you that this program basically almost requires you to be a second-year PhD before you begin. Successful applicants must also have an exemplary record -- sometimes from high school on -- in a life sciences major, and usually have multiple top-level publications, numerous years of experience, nearly perfect scores across the board. I know that there is a "back channel" into PiN, but I don't quite understand how it works, so I don't want to post about it publicly. Profs and doctoral students in the program will basically tell you, so it's an "open secret".

Hi, just a 2021 applicant passing by. Would it be okay if I ask the "open secret" via other channels, like an e-mail or something like that? I'm a little slow on information right now, so your reply will help me a lot.

• 6 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, BabyScientist said:

I interviewed at BU and got the vibe that there are a lot of politics between the departments. In my current program, 3 of us interviewed for 3 different programs there and got weird vibes from them. 

Hi, you applied to BU neurobiology right? Have you heard anything from them? I got the waiting list email end of Feb.