Jump to content
Neuromantic

2020 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, frannicole said:

Hi all! Very new to this process, does anyone know if they typically send invites to interviews all at once (like in one day) or over a period of days? Thanks and good luck to you all :)

If you're thinking of specific schools/programs, go search for them on the Results page and see if all their interview invites came out all at once last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, zebrafishfan said:

Does anyone know if Mount Sinai is done sending out interviews? I saw some entries on the results page. 

I really hope they are not but it seems like they pretty much sent out at once from past years...:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any suggestions for telling a school that you aren't available to interview the weekend they suggested because you already accepted another interview offer for that weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, phd2020 said:

Any suggestions for telling a school that you aren't available to interview the weekend they suggested because you already accepted another interview offer for that weekend?

Ask them if they have alternative interview weekends and if not, ask if they'll let you do videochats. I ran into this issue when I applied and the school I was less excited about offered me the option of doing Skype interviews with faculty I was interested in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, neuro101 said:

Does anyone know if phone interviews are generally from No Caller ID numbers?

In my experience, phone calls from schools have always been with an area code from the university's city/town. They should not be calling you from a number without a caller ID (and if for whatever reason they do and you don't pick up, they should leave a voicemail).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gliagirl said:

Ask them if they have alternative interview weekends and if not, ask if they'll let you do videochats. I ran into this issue when I applied and the school I was less excited about offered me the option of doing Skype interviews with faculty I was interested in.

Thank you! This is super helpful. They scheduled the interview weekend to align with a conference at their school so I don’t know if they’ll be open to a different weekend but asked nicely. I’m still very interested in the program so I just hope they don’t misinterpret it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 2:47 PM, zebrafishfan said:

Does anyone know if Mount Sinai is done sending out interviews? I saw some entries on the results page. 

Where did you see this? I can't find the entries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NeuroKween said:

Where did you see this? I can't find the entries. 

I saw three yesterday, and another one posted just now (all neuroscience).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does anyone know how the committee does the initial screening process? Like do they actually read through all the personal statements, LORs, etc or do they initially look at GPA and weed out the outliers first & then read the essays/LORs/etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nerdyneuron said:

does anyone know how the committee does the initial screening process? Like do they actually read through all the personal statements, LORs, etc or do they initially look at GPA and weed out the outliers first & then read the essays/LORs/etc? 

Depends on the program. Some school's like CalTech do it based off number (GPA, GRE) first but generally committees put applicants in an absolutely must invite/recommended/absolutely do not invite pile and go based off that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nerdyneuron said:

does anyone know how the committee does the initial screening process? Like do they actually read through all the personal statements, LORs, etc or do they initially look at GPA and weed out the outliers first & then read the essays/LORs/etc? 

A professor I talked to mentioned that they receive around 400 applications. By the time they are being reviewed in the committee there are only around 200 left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MyelinatedSheath said:

Me too :(

also from the results page it looks like Sinai and Northwestern neuroscience sent out invites, so that is unfortunate 

Ugh, here's to hoping Northwestern doesn't send them out in one big batch...

 

(edit) jk it seems like they do :(

Edited by pipettestan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.