Jump to content

2020 Clinical Psychology Canadian Applicants


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, xtrahotlatte said:

They generally do. Last year, one of my friend’s POI interviewed her end of Jan. She was waitlisted and then accepted in March. Another friend, however, was waitlisted without ever being interviewed but then never got accepted. I think it depends on the prof! 

Makes sense.  It sounds like an interview is a very individual decision based on each professor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got an email at 3:57 p.m. to check my grad portal for UAlberta.  Please confirm I'm not dreaming!?!  I got accepted into UAlberta's SCCP MEd program!!!!!  I'm SO happy!  I've been working toward this

Got my official offer via email today for UCalgary's MSc in School & Applied Child Psych!  The deadline to accept is March 7, so I do hope I hear from UAlberta and OISE before then, so I can make

The start of another week... I am so hoping for some good news this week for all of us! If you're feeling frustrated, down on yourself, swirling in self-doubt, and constantly wondering if you're "good

Posted Images

7 hours ago, PSY20 said:

Just checking again to see if anyones heard anything from OISE SCCP, assume it could be any day now for POI's to reach out for interviews? 

I also haven't received any emails yet. Hopefully we'll hear back from them any day now! 

 

4 hours ago, VanessaB said:

Haven't heard anything from SCCP at OISE either.  Are we sure they do interviews?

From what I've heard (and scrolling through previous gradcafe forums), generally the POI's do have interviews for the SCCP program. Guess we'll see how it goes this application cycle~ 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting so anxious! I applied to Ottawa, Windsor, Queens, UBC-O, UBC-V, and McGill... and yet, haven't heard a thing from anywhere. This is my fourth attempt applying for clinical programs. I have a masters in another psych area and relevant work experience. Am really hoping it will work out this time but seems like so many people are hearing back already and I have not.... Yikes. Is there still hope?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

Getting so anxious! I applied to Ottawa, Windsor, Queens, UBC-O, UBC-V, and McGill... and yet, haven't heard a thing from anywhere. This is my fourth attempt applying for clinical programs. I have a masters in another psych area and relevant work experience. Am really hoping it will work out this time but seems like so many people are hearing back already and I have not.... Yikes. Is there still hope?!

You could always contact the program administrators for these programs to see if you are waitlisted. I looked at the results page for some of the schools you mentioned to see what happened in previous years and it looks like it's all over the place in terms of when people were rejected/accepted. I'd say there's still room for some cautious hope, but it doesn't hurt to email the administrators to see if you can get some hard answers. From what I've read on the forum, most people learn that they are waitlisted by directly contacting the program and don't receive an official notification. Best of luck to you, hopefully you get some good news!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

Getting so anxious! I applied to Ottawa, Windsor, Queens, UBC-O, UBC-V, and McGill... and yet, haven't heard a thing from anywhere. This is my fourth attempt applying for clinical programs. I have a masters in another psych area and relevant work experience. Am really hoping it will work out this time but seems like so many people are hearing back already and I have not.... Yikes. Is there still hope?!

I feel the same way. This is my third time applying and I haven't heard anything either. Crossing my fingers for you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pancake019 said:

Hi! I was wondering if your invitation was sent to your personal email, or if applicants have ucalgary emails that admission decisions are sent to? Thanks :)

I got the invitation to my personal email and not sure about the admission decisions unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Psych.kitty said:

Getting so anxious! I applied to Ottawa, Windsor, Queens, UBC-O, UBC-V, and McGill... and yet, haven't heard a thing from anywhere. This is my fourth attempt applying for clinical programs. I have a masters in another psych area and relevant work experience. Am really hoping it will work out this time but seems like so many people are hearing back already and I have not.... Yikes. Is there still hope?!

I also applied for Ottawa and McGill. I feel like McGill interview invites have already gone out? Dont know where I heard that or if anyone else has more insight? U of Ottawa will be a bit later on, maybe later Feb or even March 🙂 good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ClinPsych33 said:

Has anyone heard from URegina post-interview? I know POI's are supposed to be sending out initial offers this week.

Not yet. I interviewed on Jan 30 and was told the admissions committee wanted the POI’s list of ranked applicants by Monday. I was told I would hear back sometime this week, but so for I haven’t heard anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, psydog said:

Not yet. I interviewed on Jan 30 and was told the admissions committee wanted the POI’s list of ranked applicants by Monday. I was told I would hear back sometime this week, but so for I haven’t heard anything. 

Thanks for the info!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 10:28 AM, Psych.kitty said:

Getting so anxious! I applied to Ottawa, Windsor, Queens, UBC-O, UBC-V, and McGill... and yet, haven't heard a thing from anywhere. This is my fourth attempt applying for clinical programs. I have a masters in another psych area and relevant work experience. Am really hoping it will work out this time but seems like so many people are hearing back already and I have not.... Yikes. Is there still hope?!

Hi there, I wish you the best of luck with everything, it seems like you are more than qualified to gain admissions and the waiting game is so stressful! I can tell you that I did a Skype interview with my POI at Queens in 2nd week of Jan. and I heard back yesterday that I will be doing another Skype interview with 2 other faculty. I also heard from my Ottawa POI this morning about a phone interview. I'm not sure about the other programs but I think there's still hope for Ottawa. I heard they do interviews between now and mid-Feb and different supervisors probably have slightly different timelines of when they offer interviews. Hope that helps a bit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The waiting is the worst part for me, especially because I can't  make any plans for my life in the next year until I know where I'll be. Does anyone have tips for getting your mind off of it or dealing with that?

I'm finding it especially hard right now  because I still have an interview that I'm preparing for, so it's not like I can push it completely aside.

I know that no matter what happens I will be okay, but the uncertainty sucks. Do you guys feel like this? Or how are you coping?

Edited by springxsummer
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, springxsummer said:

The waiting is the worst part for me, especially because I can't  make any plans for my life in the next year until I know where I'll be. Does anyone have tips for getting your mind off of it or dealing with that?

I'm finding it especially hard right now  because I still have an interview that I'm preparing for, so it's not like I can push it completely aside.

I know that no matter what happens I will be okay, but the uncertainty sucks. Do you guys feel like this? Or how are you coping?

I completely agree. It's really tough, especially when my anxiety is rooted from the "unknown" aspects of life. 

I coped by applying for research positions at local hospitals and sending out resumes to other jobs. This way, I know I will have a plan A and plan B. I can always apply for jobs and turn them down if I get accepted to a clinical program...but I can guarantee I will get more anxious if I don't get accepted anywhere AND I dont have a job in place for the interim. 

Thus, my suggestion would be to make an alternate plan that is appropriately manageable if you do or do not end up with an acceptance. Like a poster said above, we will get through this application cycle TOGETHER, one way or another :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aspiring_Grey_Area said:

I completely agree. It's really tough, especially when my anxiety is rooted from the "unknown" aspects of life. 

I coped by applying for research positions at local hospitals and sending out resumes to other jobs. This way, I know I will have a plan A and plan B. I can always apply for jobs and turn them down if I get accepted to a clinical program...but I can guarantee I will get more anxious if I don't get accepted anywhere AND I dont have a job in place for the interim. 

Thus, my suggestion would be to make an alternate plan that is appropriately manageable if you do or do not end up with an acceptance. Like a poster said above, we will get through this application cycle TOGETHER, one way or another :)

This is actually a really good, practical suggestion. Thank you. I have a good job now that I am confident I could keep if need be, but it just isn't adding anything to my application, so looking for clinical or research experience  would be a really good idea. What will you do if you get an offer before you know about schooling?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, springxsummer said:

This is actually a really good, practical suggestion. Thank you. I have a good job now that I am confident I could keep if need be, but it just isn't adding anything to my application, so looking for clinical or research experience  would be a really good idea. What will you do if you get an offer before you know about schooling?

You are most welcome! I will more than likely hear about schools before a job accepts me for September start date (I am currently in an MA and will only defend in August). In the unlikely event that I do get a job offer before hearing about an acceptance, I would probably take the job...If I am then accepted to a program, I would just kindly explain that there has been a change in plans and I will be attending school instead and thank you for the opportunity etc etc :)

Something my current advisor told me is that the best way to take a year off when you dont get in for a cycle, is to get a job - any job - and focus on research. Hop on a former PI's project as an RA and ask for enough work to gain authorship, continue any side projects from your undergrad/masters and try to publish or present, attend conferences, make connections, etc. The committee will look to see what you did during the year "off" and they will be most impressed if you were able to maintain your research and network throughout. I hope this helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paris1045 said:

Hey! I know we just discussed this on Wednesday but has anyone heard back since then from OISE’s SCCP program? 

I haven't heard yet or seen anyone post that they have. Fingers crossed we will hear something soon!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, Pancake019 said:

Hi! I was wondering if your invitation was sent to your personal email, or if applicants have ucalgary emails that admission decisions are sent to? Thanks :)

The open house was today. Invitations were sent out to whatever e-mail applicants listed on their application about three weeks ago. My understanding is that offers of admission will start going out within the next 2 weeks (I'm not 100% sure about that timeline). It may be worth contacting the program to see if they'll be waitlisting applicants and/or doing a second round of offers later on. 

Edited by Quicksilver25
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, sparrow123 said:

You could always contact the program administrators for these programs to see if you are waitlisted. I looked at the results page for some of the schools you mentioned to see what happened in previous years and it looks like it's all over the place in terms of when people were rejected/accepted. I'd say there's still room for some cautious hope, but it doesn't hurt to email the administrators to see if you can get some hard answers. From what I've read on the forum, most people learn that they are waitlisted by directly contacting the program and don't receive an official notification. Best of luck to you, hopefully you get some good news!

Thank you! I will try this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.