Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
itsannat

poor undergraduate GPA

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! I am trying to get opinions on my likelihood of getting accepted to Clinical PhD programs and Neuroscience PhD programs with a below average undergraduate GPA (3.2 overall and 3.25 last 60 hours). I worked in a lab for 1.5 years in undergrad and just started a position full time as a project coordinator in a neuroscience lab which is a two year commitment. I have not published yet but have a poster presentation coming up in a few months. My GRE scores were 160Q and 156V. Any advice on raising undergraduate GPA after graduation with other courses outside of doing a masters program? I am planning on applying for the Fall 2021 cycle. Any advice is appreciated!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've already graduated, there isn't really a way to change your undergrad GPA. A good masters GPA can overshadow the poor performance in undergrad. Your GRE scores are good, so that helps to balance it out. Just try to grind in that research lab and pump out as many posters/pubs as you can and make sure your LORs and SOP are stellar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

If you've already graduated, there isn't really a way to change your undergrad GPA. A good masters GPA can overshadow the poor performance in undergrad. Your GRE scores are good, so that helps to balance it out. Just try to grind in that research lab and pump out as many posters/pubs as you can and make sure your LORs and SOP are stellar. 

Have you heard of doing a graduate certificate to show you can do the coursework while working in another lab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 3.0 GPA from a top 20 school, mediocre GRE scores, and ~4 years of full-time experience as a technician in neuroscience labs. I just got into a Neuroscience PhD program for Fall 2019!!! I've been in your boat for 4 years-- agonizing over my low GPA, but my admittance should show you that anything is possible and that some programs really value strong research experience over perfect academic records!!! There is hope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lemmabear said:

I had a 3.0 GPA from a top 20 school, mediocre GRE scores, and ~4 years of full-time experience as a technician in neuroscience labs. I just got into a Neuroscience PhD program for Fall 2019!!! I've been in your boat for 4 years-- agonizing over my low GPA, but my admittance should show you that anything is possible and that some programs really value strong research experience over perfect academic records!!! There is hope. 

Hi! Did you have any publications or research posters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itsannat said:

Have you heard of doing a graduate certificate to show you can do the coursework while working in another lab?

I personally haven't heard of it, but it may be a thing to explore. Your best bet is to talk to your current mentors and see what they suggest. A graduate certificate wouldn't hurt, but I also don't know how much it would help either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had 3.2 GPA with similar GRE scores. I got a lab coordinator position for a year and a half which allowed me to get a lot of experience (2 first author papers, 1 middle author paper, 2 posters). I was worried about getting in, but my current mentor insisted a master's wouldn't be a good idea, it would just cause a ton of debt. His advice and my experience tells me authorship is really the best thing you can do for your application! I got into 2 R1 institutions, and I turned down 3 other interviews. Make sure to have a professor read over your statement too. I went through about 10 versions of my statement before submitting. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat. My GPA is similar to yours. I am currently doing my master's (2 years in Brazil) and striving for a perfect GPA to compensate for the undergraduate GPA. I intend to have at least one paper published in a decent journal to improve my chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.