Jump to content
blacklab155

GRE test dates advice

Recommended Posts

I'm deciding what date to take the gre general test and the psychology subject test in preparation to apply for clinical PhD programs for Fall 2020. I'm thinking I'll take the general test mid-September, which would give me three months to study, but since my only options for the psychology subject test are either September or October I wanted to ask others if I would be fine taking both the general test and the subject test within the same week(s)? Or if it would be better to take the general test in September and the subject in October, though that would be cutting it close for getting my psychology scores before application deadlines, or even taking the subject test in September and the general test sometime after that. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blacklab155 said:

 I wanted to ask others if I would be fine taking both the general test and the subject test within the same week(s)? Or if it would be better to take the general test in September and the subject in October, though that would be cutting it close for getting my psychology scores before application deadlines, or even taking the subject test in September and the general test sometime after that.

I took both tests in September last year, with a two week gap, and felt like that was an adequate amount of time in between tests. It may be different for you, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would question taking the subject test at all for going into clinical PhD programs, especially if you had a psychology undergrad major and a good GPA. When I did my applications for Fall 19, not a single program required the subject test and even when I was doing research into programs, only one required it (I narrowed down my list from over 30 programs initially). Is there a solid reason you want to take it or could you save yourself the study time and the money in an already long and expensive process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote my Subject GRE on September 15th last year, and my General GRE on Oct 29. All my scores arrived at my schools on time, my first deadline being Nov 15th (most were Dec 1st or 15th). My general score was available within 7 days, but my subject score took closer to 6 weeks. I definitely would've been worried if I had written the subject test in October.

So, I'd suggest doing the September Subject Test and giving yourself a few weeks off before the General. The time you'll need will depend on your current scores vs. target scores though; personally, I didn't have to study much for the Verbal so I spent those 6 weeks cramming for Quant with Magoosh (supplemented by some haphazard studying months before) with a few days dedicated to AWA. However, that timeline would've been pretty tough if I had needed to fit in studying for Verbal as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 10:50 AM, Katie B said:

I would question taking the subject test at all for going into clinical PhD programs, especially if you had a psychology undergrad major and a good GPA. When I did my applications for Fall 19, not a single program required the subject test and even when I was doing research into programs, only one required it (I narrowed down my list from over 30 programs initially). Is there a solid reason you want to take it or could you save yourself the study time and the money in an already long and expensive process?

I just haven't narrowed down my list of schools and figured it might be better to take it either way? I wanted to wait to see what I'll get on the general GRE to know what programs I would be best suited for but it sounds like I should just look at which schools actually require the psychology subject test. Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 3:11 PM, blacklab155 said:

I just haven't narrowed down my list of schools and figured it might be better to take it either way? I wanted to wait to see what I'll get on the general GRE to know what programs I would be best suited for but it sounds like I should just look at which schools actually require the psychology subject test. Thanks!!

Listen to what @PsyDGrad90 said. Your match to the program based on research interests, goals, and training models is way more important than where you feel you are "best suited" for based on GRE scores. Find places you feel you would be successful at and then worry about making your application as strong as it can be for that individual school, repeat 10-12 (or however many schools you apply to).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.