thepeeps

How important is the math/quantitative GRE score for English PhD's?

I'm planning on taking the GRE's at the end of the summer so I have enough time to study.  Currently nervous about it because I've always been terrible at test taking.  Whether it was SATs/ACTs or even the state exams needed to graduate high school, I've always just struggled with standardized testing.  I've always done fairly well on the English/writing portions, but for the life of me, I'm TERRIBLE at math.  Especially math that's on exams like the GRE.  

I know I have time to study, but the math portion is really freaking me out.  How do colleges look at GRE scores, as one number or using both of them?  I'm just worried I will do poorly on the math section and have my whole score drop.  Do English departments really pay attention to the score you got on the math section, or will they look at your English/writing score more?  

Posted (edited)

I literally scored in the twentieth percentile for quant. It’s probably the least important part of your application. I wouldn’t even consider it part of your application, but you do have to submit it as part of your test scores. 

Edited by trytostay

The English department isn't likely to care. There might be some graduate schools which require a minimum score to be considered for certain school-wide fellowships. For example, Buffalo requires a 313+ to be eligible for nomination for additional fellowship support from the Graduate School.

I scored in the 20th percentile. I got into every program I applied to. Absolutely does not matter in your application. To be honest, the low math score might even be a little endearing to an admissions committee full of English department people who are also terrible at math :)