6 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Thank you! And fingers crossed for you, as well! 

I have less hope for me on my end. DGS e-mailed this morning today to say that they're following up with the lone person who hasn't responded, and will have a final decision to me tonight, hopefully. I've been shaking in my boots ever since. I don't know what I assumed prior to them saying that, but I guess that just made the whole scenario all the more... intense.  

29 minutes ago, Starbuck420 said:

this is actually a misleading headline but still 

I’m a current BU student, and this is an email we received about how news outlets have misinterpreted our president’s statements: 

I am writing today because there has been some misrepresentation about BU's plans for the fall term. It appears that some news outlets interpreted the article to indicate that BU did not expect to return to residential in-person operations until spring 2021. Our intent is just the opposite:

Our recovery planning is focused on the fall semester, and the resumption of our on-campus, in-person programs in late August. We are planning accordingly and will incorporate the best public health practices into those plans so that members of the BU community will feel comfortable and safe on campus upon their return for fall semester. If for some reason public health authorities do not allow universities to re-open their residential campuses at that time, our planning will explore other alternatives, including the possibility of restarting in-person classes later in the year while continuing with remote classes until then.

Hey! A lurker and a 2021 PhD applicant here. Would anyone be willing to send me an example statement of purpose as I start to work on materials this summer? I would be forever grateful!

45 minutes ago, riverbender said:

Hey! A lurker and a 2021 PhD applicant here. Would anyone be willing to send me an example statement of purpose as I start to work on materials this summer? I would be forever grateful!

seconding this, please!

@jadeisokay hi!!! good to see you on here again. how's chicago? villanova has been great--in retrospect, this was absolutely the right path for me. are you going for phds again for fall 2021 admission? would be fun to be on the same cycle again!

chicago has been an absolute blast, current situation aside. i'm really happy here and won a flas fellowship for next year so i'm super excited. and oh you know it. 

11 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

chicago has been an absolute blast, current situation aside. i'm really happy here and won a flas fellowship for next year so i'm super excited. and oh you know it. 

Oh congrats! I'm so glad to hear that. 

Oof. Guess we'll both be losing our minds (again) even more in just a few months. Do you know where you're applying for the next cycle? (Maybe we should start a 2021 applicants thread to stop polluting this one?)

likewise, i'm glad you're having a good time.

i'm hoping to stay at uc but also am applying (or plan to apply) to northwestern, syracuse, brown, and maybe minnesota so far. how about you?

i'm happy to make a thread 

12 minutes ago, jadeisokay said:

likewise, i'm glad you're having a good time.

i'm hoping to stay at uc but also am applying (or plan to apply) to northwestern, syracuse, brown, and maybe minnesota so far. how about you?

i'm happy to make a thread 

Oof, I have around 18 programs in my longlist--hoping to cut down to 12-15, we'll see. I actually have a consulting call with one of my advisors about this tomorrow! But the big change is that I'm applying not just to English PhDs, but also American Studies and Ethnic Studies.

3 hours ago, karamazov said:

Now that we've had a minute to process our decisions, anyone else getting hit with that good ole' impostor syndrome? 

Lil bit! Accidentally devoting way more of my energy into trying to predict what will happen in the fall 😑

7 hours ago, karamazov said:

Now that we've had a minute to process our decisions, anyone else getting hit with that good ole' impostor syndrome? 

3 hours ago, MichelleObama said:

Lil bit! Accidentally devoting way more of my energy into trying to predict what will happen in the fall 😑

i'm caught somewhere between the two — between feeling like i should be reading/writing more to catch up with everyone else and thinking that i'm way behind in preparing for a future-relocation-that-might-not-happen (not this year anyway). i just wish the latter could be settled as quickly as possible, so i can focus on the former instead. but i doubt that's happening any time soon.

9 hours ago, karamazov said:

Yup, that plus I'm constantly anxious that I'll wake up one day and get an email revoking my admission due to budget cuts. The department chair had assured me a few weeks ago that they wouldn't do that to anybody yet I'm still so worried. I don't want to defer, I'm nearly in my 30s so the thought of waiting another year for me is depressing. Damn it, and I thought waiting for an admissions decision was the hard part 😔

3 hours ago, WanYesOnly said:

Yup, that plus I'm constantly anxious that I'll wake up one day and get an email revoking my admission due to budget cuts. The department chair had assured me a few weeks ago that they wouldn't do that to anybody yet I'm still so worried. I don't want to defer, I'm nearly in my 30s so the thought of waiting another year for me is depressing. Damn it, and I thought waiting for an admissions decision was the hard part 😔

I feel this! Every few days I keep wanting to clean out my PhD docs folder because all those SOP and WS drafts and other clutter are taking up unnecessary space, but I just can’t bring myself to do it because a small paranoid voice in my head whispers ‘are you suuure? what if admissions get revoked, though? what if funding gets cut? you never know what can happennnnn....ssss’. 😂

14 hours ago, karamazov said:

Imposter syndrome is real. Remember your programs want you to succeed and are (literally) invested in your doing well. In a way, the adcomm are able to see better than you that you are no imposter. They waded through all those applications of stellar candidates and said "yes" to you, and they likely have the experience of previous cycles to make solid predictions about who will do well in their program. Between their expertise and self-doubt, go with the former. And ultimately, now especially, grad programs need you more than you need them. One other general tidbit I have is don't let imposter syndrome cause you to clam up from fear of looking unknowledgeable. I've seen this in my masters' program: people who I know are capable but too timid to talk in seminars; it's such a lost opportunity because this is the time to ask a million questions so you and your instructors can figure out the gaps in your knowledge. And chances are other graduates have the same questions as you and will be grateful someone has the guts to speak up. 

1 hour ago, killerbunny said:

Imposter syndrome is real. Remember your programs want you to succeed and are (literally) invested in your doing well. In a way, the adcomm are able to see better than you that you are no imposter. They waded through all those applications of stellar candidates and said "yes" to you, and they likely have the experience of previous cycles to make solid predictions about who will do well in their program. Between their expertise and self-doubt, go with the former. And ultimately, now especially, grad programs need you more than you need them. One other general tidbit I have is don't let imposter syndrome cause you to clam up from fear of looking unknowledgeable. I've seen this in my masters' program: people who I know are capable but too timid to talk in seminars; it's such a lost opportunity because this is the time to ask a million questions so you and your instructors can figure out the gaps in your knowledge. And chances are other graduates have the same questions as you and will be grateful someone has the guts to speak up. 

I like this a lot. I had something longer written out in response, but I decided it was a bit of a bummer. In short, I've learned in my first year the truism that one should not compare oneself to one's peers is crucial for one's mental health in graduate school. Setting your own metrics for success is important, especially for those coming from nontraditional backgrounds. 

On 4/16/2020 at 12:04 PM, riverbender said:

I would be willing to send you a copy of mine and answer any questions that you have. :) Just let me know!

Hi! Long time lurker. Thanks so much for this offer. As a/an (potential) applicant from the Global South, I already feel like I am going to the dogs. The whole process seems so gruelling. Any help from any quarter would be lovely! Also, it would be really helpful to get hold of a paper (of course published) or even a skeleton of one that has gotten anyone into grad school. Though I am mostly interested in visual cultures, films, comics studies, affect theory, and a bit of postcolonial/decolonial theory, any written sample would be great! Thanks!

On 5/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, merry night wanderer said:

I'm also happy to send my SoP to anyone who thinks they'd find it useful.

That would be so useful! I'm really worried about my SoP because there are so many components. I feel particularly weird about the ratio of discussing my background to future goals. I was a pretty terrible student throughout my undergraduate years, but really stepped up in my master's program so it's hard for me not to default to explain all of that away. I think seeing a successful would be so helpful! Thank you for offering!

I just got an email from a professor who was on the adcom at my program, reaching out... just because? This isn’t someone I mentioned as a POI but it seems they just wanted to reach out as a friendly contact of sorts in the program, and I’m a bit confused as to how to respond to this... any tips?