I am quite curious/anxious to know if UVA will be sending out more acceptances today.

5 hours ago, Taihoku said:

I got into my top choice, so I'm very happy, but I'm wondering about how (or if?) I should go about contacting a POI at another school where I was rejected (ten minutes before being accepted by my top choice, hah!). I would like the opportunity to discuss my work with them down the line, as I am very much interested in this person's work, and they showed interest in mine, and we had a one-on-one interview a couple of weeks before decisions arrived. Should I wait a little? Should I mention that there's no hard feelings about my being rejected whatsoever, or just not mention my being rejected at all? 

Hi Taihoku, congrats on being accepted into your top choice! I was in a similar situation and here's my two cents:

I responded to the rejection by expressing my disappointment (need to be very diplomatic - you don't want to sound bitter, sour, or salty), reaffirming my interest in their program and their work, and asking if there would be opportunities in the near future to visit/collaborate/etc. My POI was very nice and gestured towards possible opportunities. 

I might be overthinking it, but not mentioning the rejection, or saying that there's no hard feelings, might come across as a little bit arrogant. Academia is a small world and that's the last impression you'd want to leave. Also, I don't think there's a need to tell the POI that you got into another school before they ask. They probably will ask you though, given that they showed interest in your work, then it's time for you to answer and express your interest to stay in touch.

Hope it helps and best of luck! Congrats again for getting into your dream school!

Ah yes, the horror of realizing months after submitting an application that two faculty members at that school have research interests that fit perfectly with your own but you totally did not mention them at all in your SoP (and instead mentioned faculty with interests less neatly aligned with your own...) ... :') Very much a "repeatedly hitting my head on my desk" type moment. 

I just received a rejection from Michigan. A little disappointing, but it wasn't my top choice.

Oops, posted on the wrong thread.

Oh god I'm so anxious about Princeton, which makes no sense because I've already gotten into some of my top choices. Just had to get that out. What are they sitting on their results for?

13 minutes ago, Wimsey said:

I just received a rejection from Michigan. A little disappointing, but it wasn't my top choice.

Same here, pretty much exactly! Oh well... I have plenty of notifications to go.

I don't know that anyone else here applied to USC CW, but it looks like they've alerted some CW folks - given their tiny cohorts, that might be it, or they might be slowly rolling them and the waitlists in staggered fashion. Not entirely sure. 

29 minutes ago, angrychalupa said:

@Wimsey samesies. ugh

Messed up that I’m excited for mine to come so I can be closer to committing 

Just got waitlisted at Michigan! It’s silly but this makes me so happy and gives me so much hope both for Michigan and for the remaining programs I have yet to hear from. 

If you were offered admission and are likely not going to accept, please let them know!! I’m absolutely in love with Michigan and it would be the greatest thing to get off that waitlist!

Hmmm... 🤔  So what happens if you haven’t heard from Michigan yet? HOPE! The kind of possibilities that I’m conjuring up! Maybe Brown will send their final acceptances this week. Maybe they can only inform 1-2 people everyday!  Maybe I won’t get in anywhere, and then I’ll get an offer from Harvard! 
How this messes up with our heads! How we let it! 

1 minute ago, onerepublic96 said:

Just got waitlisted at Michigan! It’s silly but this makes me so happy and gives me so much hope both for Michigan and for the remaining programs I have yet to hear from. 

If you were offered admission and are likely not going to accept, please let them know!! I’m absolutely in love with Michigan and it would be the greatest thing to get off that waitlist!

Ah so happy for you and keeping my fingers crossed you get off that list!!

1 minute ago, onerepublic96 said:

It seems like you've had a particularly stressful season and it makes me really happy to hear that you've received some good news! I hope you get in off of the waitlist!!

6 minutes ago, jm6394 said:

Messed up that I’m excited for mine to come so I can be closer to committing 

Big mood. I'm almost looking forward to that inevitable Harvard rejection, just so I can get closer to decision time.

3 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Yay, I'm so happy for you!

20 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Definitely not silly! Congrats and I hope it comes through!

20 minutes ago, alittlebitofthat said:

Hmmm... 🤔  So what happens if you haven’t heard from Michigan yet? HOPE! The kind of possibilities that I’m conjuring up! Maybe Brown will send their final acceptances this week. Maybe they can only inform 1-2 people everyday!  Maybe I won’t get in anywhere, and then I’ll get an offer from Harvard! 
How this messes up with our heads! How we let it! 

I also haven’t heard from Michigan, though I did apply to the joint English/Women’s Studies program. Are you just English?

My POI was pretty sure I made the waitlist for UCONN but I have not received the coveted email like the other folks. Does this mean I should expect a rejection instead?

1 minute ago, Kelsey1599 said:

My POI was pretty sure I made the waitlist for UCONN but I have not received the coveted email like the other folks. Does this mean I should expect a rejection instead?

I wouldn't lose hope just yet! Mine came in like 3 minutes ago, which looks a little later than the other ones that already went out. Good luck!

Just now, alittlebitofthat said:

What’s up with Virginia, by the way? Only three acceptances on the board! 

Virgiiiiiiinia, VirgIIIIIIInia.... please finish notifying! 

Last year there were only four round-one acceptances, all on one day, so three might be it... and they didn't release rejections for nearly a week. 

I also got wait-listed at UConn and rejected at Michigan. I couldn't get into Michigan last year either, which is a shame since their medieval program is so friggen strong. I'm up to 6 rejections now, which means numbness is starting to set in. I'm looking forward to moving into insanity so that I can cackle madly in front of my cats.

I'm grateful for my one acceptance, but I'm crossing my fingers, toes, legs, and eyes for the remaining 5. I just need Brown and BU to put me out of my misery.