9 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Re: Boston... 

anxiety is driving me up the wall so I tore through the results thread back to 2012 and found a bunch of these comments:

I had never heard anything like this about BU. Is it true? I have an external MA, too... would really hate to write this off as a likely rejection now... 

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 2.46.36 pm.png

Woah! I've never heard anything like that (as if I would actually know anything). I've always assumed programs would prefer those with MAs because they wouldn't have to give out as much in funding and they would be better prepared to start teaching? My opinion would be not to read too much into it as 7-8 years is long enough that significant changes could've/would've been made to the program (unless some of those are more recent?). I still have hope for myself, for you, and for those who may be facing a shut out regardless of our backgrounds. 

Edited by gooniesneversaydie
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be me. My first acceptance and I’m thrilled.

IN AT YALE!!!  IM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE 

just got my Michigan offer. 6 years funding. Fuck. 

Posted Images

I have an acceptance I'm happy about, but I also am really hoping to get off the UT-Austin waitlist. I want to email back and ask them about the waitlist, if it's ranked by field and if they can tell me where I am on it, etc.

The admissions email came from Grad Program Coordinator's email, but its signed by the Associate Chair/Graduate Advisor; so....do I respond to the email address it came from or to the person who signed it?

1 hour ago, onerepublic96 said:

Re: Boston... 

anxiety is driving me up the wall so I tore through the results thread back to 2012 and found a bunch of these comments:

I had never heard anything like this about BU. Is it true? I have an external MA, too... would really hate to write this off as a likely rejection now... 

Screenshot 2020-02-27 at 2.46.36 pm.png

I always wonder about this. I had a trusted advisor tell me once that they preferred candidates with MAs because they already  have graduate experience / a portfolio of sample work to demonstrate ability. 

But who knows. 

As @gooniesneversaydie said, too, these comments were almost a decade ago already. 

2 minutes ago, EffervescentMoon said:

Harvard rejections are up. I randomly checked the portal; no email. That’s the end of a shutout season for me. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I wish you the very best of luck on whatever comes next. 

11 minutes ago, Cryss said:

My application season ends with the official Penn rejection. Hope to never do it again. But alas, academia. 

Sending good vibes to everyone.

Out of reacts, but congratulations on your acceptances, I feel the disappointment with you on your rejections, and I hope the decision process goes smoothly!

6 hours ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

Info on the board about BU sending out notifications late Feb to mid March. Good lord, out of the 9,000 of us who are apparently waiting, how many will get in?!

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Amidst the desperate cries for news from Boston, I am STILL trying to get a peep out of UCONN. I saw one rejection pop up the other day. I emailed the DGS, but I have not received a reply. Any suggestions or ideas?

Just called Maryland- my app status still said “under departmental review.” She told me final results should come out next week. Just an update for those who are anxiously waiting cuz they saw the results people have posted of Maryland. 

Edited by alphabet soup

If there are any lurkers here for the Cambridge MPhils or PhDs — I know there have been acceptances on the board but not sure anyone has posted — I’ve been told by the department following a question about college scholarships that they’re not releasing any further info on funding (nominations or otherwise) for now. Results are due out with the rest of the studentship  competitions in March.

There have been some people this year who’ve mentioned hearing that they’ve not been put forward for funding, and last year they did seem to notify some nominees that they were under consideration in mid-March, but not sure what’s happening this time.

22 hours ago, lotsoffeelings said:

Does anyone know what kinds of questions are appropriate to ask when you're on waitlist somewhere (in this case, UW)? I am a novice to this whole process and generally afraid of emailing people in general. I mostly want to know 1) size of waitlist 2) general timeline for the process, but I'm not sure the best way to frame these questions. 

Reupping this, since I'm curious to know what the etiquette is for waitlistees to express their continued interest (beyond the initial "yes, I'd like to be on the waitlist" email). I'm also interested in knowing about how to ask/whether it is polite to ask about the size of the admitted cohort, the size of the waitlist, and one's ranking on the waitlist, in order to manage expectations.