Just now, tinymica said:

Just received the details of my campus visit! I’m scheduled for a series of discussions with faculty and other prospective students on various topics (genre, environmental humanities, etc). I’m feeling the urge to “study” in preparation for those discussions....is that....overkill?

Yes, yes it is. If you have been accepted, then you don't need to prove yourself. I imagine the conversations are to illustrate interests and not competency. 

5 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Just received the details of my campus visit! I’m scheduled for a series of discussions with faculty and other prospective students on various topics (genre, environmental humanities, etc). I’m feeling the urge to “study” in preparation for those discussions....is that....overkill?

Be prepared to talk A LOT about your area of interests. You'll say the same things over and over again. However, like @snorkles, I don't think you need to study. Just enjoy being part of the discourse and overall environment! And don't be afraid to chime in when you have something to say, even if you don't feel super confident in an area. (However, however, if you're interested in peeking at Enviro Hum, I highly rec. Jeff J. Cohen, Gillian Rudd, and Corinne Saunders (Medievalists) and Stephanie LeMenager (Americanist) Also, Greg Garrard has a fairly easy-to-read text on overall ecocritical themes/key words). 

On 3/3/2020 at 3:29 PM, olivetree said:

Hi, @Tessjane77! I've worked as a high school English teacher for the past four years (started teaching right out of college) and just applied to PhD programs in this cycle. I highly recommend getting some work experience outside academia before reentering the academy; not only do I think it's helped me become a more competitive applicant and clarify my research interests, but it's also just been hugely valuable to me personally to be removed from the ivory tower for a few years. If you want to talk more about entering secondary education, let me know! I've loved working as a high school teacher and, given the dearth of TT jobs, teaching at the high school level is a great option for people with interests like ours.

Aw, thank you for the support! Yes, I am warming up to the idea of a high school level job, especially since post-secondary stuff is so crazy.

I just checked my BU portal (for the 2493854th time) and the main page is now different. It gives the option to "make changes" to my application. It wasn't like that earlier in the day, so I'm not sure what that means... No status update or anything like that, just a new button at the top to make changes. I clicked on it just to see if it would do anything, nothing happened, and now it's gone? I hope I didn't just fook something up.

31 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I’m......in at BU. What? What? I...HUH?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!! I'm screaming at the computer screen in complete joy for you!!

34 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Yesssss!! I suppose the long wait paid off after all.

20 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!! I'm screaming at the computer screen in complete joy for you!!

Thank you!!! I have to say that I've been really grateful to share my waiting frustration with you. Please let me know as soon as you hear from them. It would be incredible if we both got in - then we could meet in person!

17 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Thank you!!! I have to say that I've been really grateful to share my waiting frustration with you. Please let me know as soon as you hear from them. It would be incredible if we both got in - then we could meet in person!

It has been a real comfort to have other people so stressed out as me (especially about this one school, jfc). That sounds odd, like, I'm grateful for your mental struggles....?! Weird. If I don't get in though, the Tufts' campus is like 7 miles away from BU, so if you decide to come out east, you'll have a friend here waiting! Plus, in my second year, I get to take advantage of the Boston-area consortium (so would you!) and hopefully take some classes at BU and do the women's study consortium program at MIT. 

6 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Congratulations!!!!! Such exciting news in March!!

Thank you so much! I have no idea what to do now. My brain is like "fit" "funding" "west coast" "no east coast" "family" "FUNDING" on a loop

2 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

It has been a real comfort to have other people so stressed out as me (especially about this one school, jfc). That sounds odd, like, I'm grateful for your mental struggles....?! Weird. If I don't get in though, the Tufts' campus is like 7 miles away from BU, so if you decide to come out east, you'll have a friend here waiting! Plus, in my second year, I get to take advantage of the Boston-area consortium (so would you!) and hopefully take some classes at BU and do the women's study consortium program at MIT. 

I know it sounds so strange, but I get exactly what you mean and I feel the same way! Like, I don't want you (or anyone) to suffer....but I'm glad we were suffering.....together? Swear it makes sense in my head. I'm so happy to think you'd be close by if I chose BU! I worry a lot about being both alone and lonely in a new place, so it's a big comfort to know you'd be there and we could have Wine Wednesdays or something :')

1 hour ago, tinymica said:

Wow! Congratulations!! 

I hope you don't mind my being nosy, but how did they notify you? Was it by phone or email or just an update on the portal...? 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Wow! Congratulations!! 

I hope you don't mind my being nosy, but how did they notify you? Was it by phone or email or just an update on the portal...? 

Not nosy at all! I received an email with the acceptance letter attached as a pdf.

Edit: forgot to say thank you!!

Edited by tinymica

25 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I know it sounds so strange, but I get exactly what you mean and I feel the same way! Like, I don't want you (or anyone) to suffer....but I'm glad we were suffering.....together? Swear it makes sense in my head. I'm so happy to think you'd be close by if I chose BU! I worry a lot about being both alone and lonely in a new place, so it's a big comfort to know you'd be there and we could have Wine Wednesdays or something :')

We'll definitely need emotional support over the next 6 years! I wish you nothing but luck in your decision making. I know just how scary it is to move from coast to coast. 

Side note: I'm sitting at the dentist's office and what is directly in front of me? Two massive degrees from BU in the biggest frames I've ever seen. The universe is just f'ing with me now. So, by having a BU graduate examine my teeth, does that mean I'll have good luck??!

1 minute ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

We'll definitely need emotional support over the next 6 years! I wish you nothing but luck in your decision making. I know just how scary it is to move from coast to coast. 

Side note: I'm sitting at the dentist's office and what is directly in front of me? Two massive degrees from BU in the biggest frames I've ever seen. The universe is just f'ing with me now. So, by having a BU graduate examine my teeth, does that mean I'll have good luck??!

Well everyone knows Tufts dental is better anyway ;)

37 minutes ago, mobydickpic said:

has anyone still had total radio silence from Brown English?

I'd suggest reaching out to Brown if you haven't heard yet! Not aware of anyone still waiting on them, and it's been a couple weeks since they notified now. 

Oof. UW's campus visit just got cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus. Obviously public health is the most important, but I'm (selfishly) disappointed and concerned. They claim they're going to try and have the visit virtually. No idea what that will look like.

4 hours ago, tinymica said:

Oof. UW's campus visit just got cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus. Obviously public health is the most important, but I'm (selfishly) disappointed and concerned. They claim they're going to try and have the visit virtually. No idea what that will look like.

I'm not sure if you have seen this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-university-of-washington-moves-all-classes-to-online.html

It doesn't appear to be a permanent change to the UW but I wonder if part of this contributed to their decision to cancel their tour visits.

4 hours ago, Warelin said:

I'm not sure if you have seen this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-university-of-washington-moves-all-classes-to-online.html

It doesn't appear to be a permanent change to the UW but I wonder if part of this contributed to their decision to cancel their tour visits.

This definitely contributed...The majority of US Coronavirus deaths have been in the Seattle area including 1 UW Law student...Seattle is a little ghostlike right now so you aren’t missing anything @tinymica!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MichelleObama said:

This definitely contributed...The majority of US Coronavirus deaths have been in the Seattle area including 1 UW Law student...Seattle is a little ghostlike right now so you aren’t missing anything @tinymica!

Late edit due to lack of context: a UW Law student did not die from the virus, but was put on 2 weeks of self-quarantine, and this combined with the severity of the outbreak in the city is directly related to the cancelation of UW's visit. Another edit: Seattle isn't "a little ghostlike," it is a full ghost of a city at present 🙃

Edited by MichelleObama

On 2/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, Cryss said:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-28/uc-santa-cruz-fires-54-graduate-student-workers-wildcat-strike

What do we think about this? 

Side note, as an international student, it's really difficult to stand up for yourself in this way if it means being fired/ consequently removed from the program and country. It definitely seems to perpetuate the "keep your head down and do what you're told" ideology. But thoughts?

https://www.chronicle.com/article/After-Announcing-Firing-of/248168?key=sDFk4Qum8UZIcp0FmqC6TgxUZDvCGgPBdZ8FWy0URNPNa9iSeObsWfznuizyyFuGNXhZSjc2OThDQ1c3aFBDR2otTkE5NjBsOV92bDVVSlp4cS1BLVNQMzl1Yw&fbclid=IwAR3FNgWb_xugPmDBn_KOXdS9lTlVddTcFe22q_NJoUjmN6_96wg3QR8YWtQ

Update: seems like things are in a bad state over there.