Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be me. My first acceptance and I’m thrilled.

just got my Michigan offer. 6 years funding. Fuck. 

IN AT YALE!!!  IM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND I DON'T KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!! I'm screaming at the computer screen in complete joy for you!!

Thank you!!! I have to say that I've been really grateful to share my waiting frustration with you. Please let me know as soon as you hear from them. It would be incredible if we both got in - then we could meet in person!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tinymica said:

Thank you!!! I have to say that I've been really grateful to share my waiting frustration with you. Please let me know as soon as you hear from them. It would be incredible if we both got in - then we could meet in person!

It has been a real comfort to have other people so stressed out as me (especially about this one school, jfc). That sounds odd, like, I'm grateful for your mental struggles....?! Weird. If I don't get in though, the Tufts' campus is like 7 miles away from BU, so if you decide to come out east, you'll have a friend here waiting! Plus, in my second year, I get to take advantage of the Boston-area consortium (so would you!) and hopefully take some classes at BU and do the women's study consortium program at MIT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, caffeinated applicant said:

Congratulations!!!!! Such exciting news in March!!

Thank you so much! I have no idea what to do now. My brain is like "fit" "funding" "west coast" "no east coast" "family" "FUNDING" on a loop

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

It has been a real comfort to have other people so stressed out as me (especially about this one school, jfc). That sounds odd, like, I'm grateful for your mental struggles....?! Weird. If I don't get in though, the Tufts' campus is like 7 miles away from BU, so if you decide to come out east, you'll have a friend here waiting! Plus, in my second year, I get to take advantage of the Boston-area consortium (so would you!) and hopefully take some classes at BU and do the women's study consortium program at MIT. 

I know it sounds so strange, but I get exactly what you mean and I feel the same way! Like, I don't want you (or anyone) to suffer....but I'm glad we were suffering.....together? Swear it makes sense in my head. I'm so happy to think you'd be close by if I chose BU! I worry a lot about being both alone and lonely in a new place, so it's a big comfort to know you'd be there and we could have Wine Wednesdays or something :')

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Wow! Congratulations!! 

I hope you don't mind my being nosy, but how did they notify you? Was it by phone or email or just an update on the portal...? 

Not nosy at all! I received an email with the acceptance letter attached as a pdf.

Edit: forgot to say thank you!!

Edited by tinymica
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tinymica said:

I know it sounds so strange, but I get exactly what you mean and I feel the same way! Like, I don't want you (or anyone) to suffer....but I'm glad we were suffering.....together? Swear it makes sense in my head. I'm so happy to think you'd be close by if I chose BU! I worry a lot about being both alone and lonely in a new place, so it's a big comfort to know you'd be there and we could have Wine Wednesdays or something :')

We'll definitely need emotional support over the next 6 years! I wish you nothing but luck in your decision making. I know just how scary it is to move from coast to coast. 

 

Side note: I'm sitting at the dentist's office and what is directly in front of me? Two massive degrees from BU in the biggest frames I've ever seen. The universe is just f'ing with me now. So, by having a BU graduate examine my teeth, does that mean I'll have good luck??!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gooniesneversaydie said:

We'll definitely need emotional support over the next 6 years! I wish you nothing but luck in your decision making. I know just how scary it is to move from coast to coast. 

 

Side note: I'm sitting at the dentist's office and what is directly in front of me? Two massive degrees from BU in the biggest frames I've ever seen. The universe is just f'ing with me now. So, by having a BU graduate examine my teeth, does that mean I'll have good luck??!

Well everyone knows Tufts dental is better anyway ;)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof. UW's campus visit just got cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus. Obviously public health is the most important, but I'm (selfishly) disappointed and concerned. They claim they're going to try and have the visit virtually. No idea what that will look like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tinymica said:

Oof. UW's campus visit just got cancelled due to concerns about the coronavirus. Obviously public health is the most important, but I'm (selfishly) disappointed and concerned. They claim they're going to try and have the visit virtually. No idea what that will look like.

I'm not sure if you have seen this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-university-of-washington-moves-all-classes-to-online.html

It doesn't appear to be a permanent change to the UW but I wonder if part of this contributed to their decision to cancel their tour visits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warelin said:

I'm not sure if you have seen this article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/coronavirus-university-of-washington-moves-all-classes-to-online.html

It doesn't appear to be a permanent change to the UW but I wonder if part of this contributed to their decision to cancel their tour visits.

This definitely contributed...The majority of US Coronavirus deaths have been in the Seattle area including 1 UW Law student...Seattle is a little ghostlike right now so you aren’t missing anything @tinymica!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MichelleObama said:

This definitely contributed...The majority of US Coronavirus deaths have been in the Seattle area including 1 UW Law student...Seattle is a little ghostlike right now so you aren’t missing anything @tinymica!

Late edit due to lack of context: a UW Law student did not die from the virus, but was put on 2 weeks of self-quarantine, and this combined with the severity of the outbreak in the city is directly related to the cancelation of UW's visit. Another edit: Seattle isn't "a little ghostlike," it is a full ghost of a city at present 🙃

Edited by MichelleObama
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, Cryss said:

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-02-28/uc-santa-cruz-fires-54-graduate-student-workers-wildcat-strike

 

What do we think about this? 

Side note, as an international student, it's really difficult to stand up for yourself in this way if it means being fired/ consequently removed from the program and country. It definitely seems to perpetuate the "keep your head down and do what you're told" ideology. But thoughts?

https://www.chronicle.com/article/After-Announcing-Firing-of/248168?key=sDFk4Qum8UZIcp0FmqC6TgxUZDvCGgPBdZ8FWy0URNPNa9iSeObsWfznuizyyFuGNXhZSjc2OThDQ1c3aFBDR2otTkE5NjBsOV92bDVVSlp4cS1BLVNQMzl1Yw&fbclid=IwAR3FNgWb_xugPmDBn_KOXdS9lTlVddTcFe22q_NJoUjmN6_96wg3QR8YWtQ

Update: seems like things are in a bad state over there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Wonder what’s happening at BU... 2 acceptances (via email) up on the board, but they’re both internationals, so perhaps they’ll be making phone calls to the US acceptances next week...? 

Let us pray.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp. I finished my last faculty meeting at Chicago yesterday only to open email on my phone and find that all of my other visits were cancelled due to coronavirus. Some faculty reaching out to apologize and say their university is descending into chaos at the moment; others reaching out to say "Let me know if you still want to meet!" 

Ummm. So I can still visit other places, I just won't be reimbursed...? Coooooool.

Hope everyone's hanging in there—it's a crazy and enormously stressful time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Welp. I finished my last faculty meeting at Chicago yesterday only to open email on my phone and find that all of my other visits were cancelled due to coronavirus. Some faculty reaching out to apologize and say their university is descending into chaos at the moment; others reaching out to say "Let me know if you still want to meet!" 

Ummm. So I can still visit other places, I just won't be reimbursed...? Coooooool.

Hope everyone's hanging in there—it's a crazy and enormously stressful time. 

all of them?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, onerepublic96 said:

Wonder what’s happening at BU... 2 acceptances (via email) up on the board, but they’re both internationals, so perhaps they’ll be making phone calls to the US acceptances next week...? 

 

17 minutes ago, GoldHippie said:

Let us pray.

I know @tinymica was contacted via email too - so it looks like so far 3 (that are on GC that is): 2 international and 1 US. I'm going to assume mine is a rejection at this point. I'm just ready to know so I can fully move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.