Are we at a point yet in society where we can start leveraging our toilet paper supply for acceptances? Or maybe even reconsiderations?? Would Brown rethink my application for 6 rolls of 2-ply? 12? Okay, okay, 15. 

A little bit of good news came to me a few days ago in the midst of all this craziness and uncertainty: I've successfully leveraged one of my offers to increase my stipend at another institution! I got word that the college's dean approved an increase, and I should receive further details this week. I really wasn't expecting them to bite, so this is a very nice surprise! 

In my attempt to spread humor during this tumultuous time, I finally figured out how to add photos. At long last, here is Coraline (and Charli too!). May they bring a hopeful smile and a reminder that we never had actual control over anything anyway, because cats are our supreme overlords and we exist solely to do their bidding. Grad school wasn't even my idea, it was theirs.

Coraline.jpg

Charli.jpg

hey guys, new here.

holding offers from Princeton and Cambridge, but entirely unsure what to choose given the state of the world right now. does anyone think asking for an extension to Princeton's April 15 deadline would be a good idea? I have no idea if they're likely to move it or anything, but it's approaching quickly and I definitely need more time. also considering deferring, should I email my department? thank you for any advice you can give!

Posted (edited)

Anyone heard of schools wanting applicants to accept/decline offers before Apr. 15? Anyone had to accept an offer before hearing back from all programs?

Edited by Puurple

They can try to nudge you but if they’re members of the organization that oversees the April 15 deadline then they can’t make you decide before then. But schools want to know ASAP (just like we do, yet we wait for twice as long at least).

32 minutes ago, Puurple said:

Anyone heard of schools wanting applicants to accept/decline offers before Apr. 15? Anyone had to accept an offer before hearing back from all programs?

I just had a zoom meeting with folks at Boston College today, and the Director of Grad Studies personally told us on the call that it's fine if the decision to enroll comes after April 15 at this point. They stressed only letting the department know in advance so that they can in turn notify the graduate school. If BC is being lenient like this, I'm sure other schools might be as well!

Hi! New here; a question on waitlists: I’ve been accepted at 3 programs and waitlisted at one that I most wish to go to. The DGS said that they hope to offer me admission and asked I tell him before I made a decision elsewhere...do people know why he would want this info? would that possibly expedite an acceptance? I already feel wary of the condescending “we love your work so much we wish we could accept you” thing, and I don’t want to get played by them if I wait it all the way out

2 hours ago, Byssche said:

The DGS said that they hope to offer me admission and asked I tell him before I made a decision elsewhere...do people know why he would want this info? would that possibly expedite an acceptance?

Welcome to the forum!

So, I'm thinking that it's possible that the DGS may want to avoid a situation where you accept an offer elsewhere when he had just been about to contact you with the news that you've been accepted off the waitlist. Like, it's possible that at some point he will find out that he can accept you, but then he may take a day or two to put together your offer, and in the intervening time if you decide to accept elsewhere without contacting him you might miss a chance that otherwise would have been available to you. Does that make sense? Basically, like, he might be asking you to check in before you commit elsewhere just in case he's about to send you good news. This is 100% conjecture, though. I really have no idea. But I would say that if you're already feeling wary of the vibe you're getting from them, and if you see his messages as condescending, maybe you should listen to that gut feeling? 

13 hours ago, Byssche said:

Hi! New here; a question on waitlists: I’ve been accepted at 3 programs and waitlisted at one that I most wish to go to. The DGS said that they hope to offer me admission and asked I tell him before I made a decision elsewhere...do people know why he would want this info? would that possibly expedite an acceptance? I already feel wary of the condescending “we love your work so much we wish we could accept you” thing, and I don’t want to get played by them if I wait it all the way out

I'd agree with @karamazov. At this point, you should decide which of the three programs to which you've been accepted you'd most like to attend and decline the offers from the other two. Wait to accept the offer from your favorite of the three until the last minute in case your wait list pans out. It would probably make sense to email the department where you're waitlisted a few days before the April 15th deadline informing them that you would like to attend if accepted but are planning on accepting another offer if you don't hear anything further from them. 

10 hours ago, karamazov said:

Welcome to the forum!

So, I'm thinking that it's possible that the DGS may want to avoid a situation where you accept an offer elsewhere when he had just been about to contact you with the news that you've been accepted off the waitlist. Like, it's possible that at some point he will find out that he can accept you, but then he may take a day or two to put together your offer, and in the intervening time if you decide to accept elsewhere without contacting him you might miss a chance that otherwise would have been available to you. Does that make sense? Basically, like, he might be asking you to check in before you commit elsewhere just in case he's about to send you good news. This is 100% conjecture, though. I really have no idea. But I would say that if you're already feeling wary of the vibe you're getting from them, and if you see his messages as condescending, maybe you should listen to that gut feeling? 

29 minutes ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I'd agree with @karamazov. At this point, you should decide which of the three programs to which you've been accepted you'd most like to attend and decline the offers from the other two. Wait to accept the offer from your favorite of the three until the last minute in case your wait list pans out. It would probably make sense to email the department where you're waitlisted a few days before the April 15th deadline informing them that you would like to attend if accepted but are planning on accepting another offer if you don't hear anything further from them. 

Thank you both! Yes, I’m definitely planning to choose between my three in the next week: hopefully that can help people on those waitlists. As far as the condescension goes, it may just be me being too sensitive (as I’m oft to be given how damaging to self confidence the application process is.) Another question for the folks out here: do people ever feel like they get in off a waitlist and feel like an outsider in the cohort? Since professors work so hard to recruit the original acceptees, I’ve worried that my second-choice status would be conspicuous if I decided to go. Maybe this is once again my own anxiety...

Posted (edited)

Waiting for BU’s Rejection Diary: Day 325,100,563

I’m now at a point at which the entire application cycle just feels fake. None of it happened. It was just a dream. I applied to grad school last year? Fake. Notifications still pending? Definitely fake. 

Edited by onerepublic96

Hi all-- finally posting because the waitlist pressure has got to me. Will schools at which you are waitlisted notify you regardless of their decision?

WELP I sent an email to BU's DGS. I know many of us have done so at this point, but hey, why not an a little pressure? I figure even if I get no response back, I can now say there is literally nothing left for me to do. I played my part. Now to write that thesis I've put off for two months...

19 hours ago, WildeThing said:

They can try to nudge you but if they’re members of the organization that oversees the April 15 deadline then they can’t make you decide before then. But schools want to know ASAP (just like we do, yet we wait for twice as long at least).

I can testify that I've been getting automated messages from Northwestern reminding me that my decision is available (i.e. "accept your offer already!") approximately every 10 days since mid-February. I get it, Northwestern, you want me to commit!

4 hours ago, Byssche said:

As far as the condescension goes, it may just be me being too sensitive (as I’m oft to be given how damaging to self confidence the application process is.) Another question for the folks out here: do people ever feel like they get in off a waitlist and feel like an outsider in the cohort? Since professors work so hard to recruit the original acceptees, I’ve worried that my second-choice status would be conspicuous if I decided to go. Maybe this is once again my own anxiety...

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I think it's pretty reasonable to believe departments when they say that there are more qualified applicants than there are spots in the incoming cohort. The competition is tough and if you're being offered a waitlist, then you are good enough and they do want you. Plus, a) everyone is going to feel imposter syndrome at some point during their time in grad school, even those that were accepted outright, and b) in a year or two (if that) most of the professors won't remember who was accepted outright and who was accepted off the waitlist. They have more important things to worry about and at that point they will be able to base their opinion of you off of personal experience and not your application.

5 hours ago, Byssche said:

Thank you both! Yes, I’m definitely planning to choose between my three in the next week: hopefully that can help people on those waitlists. As far as the condescension goes, it may just be me being too sensitive (as I’m oft to be given how damaging to self confidence the application process is.) Another question for the folks out here: do people ever feel like they get in off a waitlist and feel like an outsider in the cohort? Since professors work so hard to recruit the original acceptees, I’ve worried that my second-choice status would be conspicuous if I decided to go. Maybe this is once again my own anxiety...

Definitely not. I don't think professors really remember (though this will vary) who was waitlisted or not and within the cohort you certainly can't tell (we know who because we've discussed it, but it doesn't really come into play at all). Again, as with the question of cohort sizes, this will depend on people's personalities. Some people ARE more competitive and some people ARE elitist and that might come through and affect your interactions with them. But those people are probably the exception rather than the rule.

Have ... people seen this?

Not English but I just about burst into tears at the prospect !! 

Have decided the last few days that unless programs begin on campus and in person in the fall that I'm deferring -- and am asking the DGS's of all programs whose offers I'm very seriously considering whether they would allow me to defer in that circumstance. It sucks because it's the last conversation in the world I want to be having, I'm ready to start my PhD tomorrow, but ... I've worked from home for a year and know it is really not great for my mental health and the richness of my intellectual life, and the last thing I'd want to do is waste 1/6 funded years that way. 

10 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

Have decided the last few days that unless programs begin on campus and in person in the fall that I'm deferring -- and am asking the DGS's of all programs whose offers I'm very seriously considering whether they would allow me to defer in that circumstance. It sucks because it's the last conversation in the world I want to be having, I'm ready to start my PhD tomorrow, but ... I've worked from home for a year and know it is really not great for my mental health and the richness of my intellectual life, and the last thing I'd want to do is waste 1/6 funded years that way. 

I'm thinking very much along the same lines - would rather wait a year than start remotely. Please keep us posted on the outcomes of your conversations with DGSs about this!

16 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

WHAT THE F*CK!? How?! That is a level of heartbreak I literally cannot fathom. My god, haven't applicants been through enough with applying, waiting, and the virus-related setbacks? That poor person.

23 minutes ago, meghan_sparkle said:

It's a terrible situation all around. I'm starting to consider the possibility that I may have the fall and winter quarters online. It's too early to tell, of course, but I don't see this thing going any anytime soon. I've had one class session online, and it wasn't so bad. It definitely limits things socially and intellectually though. The writing has been the worst part of it so far for me. Getting tunnel vision quickly that's hard to shake off while sheltering inside. 

Hi.

I finally signed up after just reading this thread for the last few months. 

I applied for 11 schools and didn't get any response from 3 schools.

BU is my top choice but it seems that there is very few chance to be accepted. 

Is it worth trying next year? I spent almost all my endeavour and money. 

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but throughout this whole mad situation, I just keep thinking of every story I've ever read about characters who were suited to / wanted to be academics, but their involvement in a war effort prevented them from realizing this on their ideal timeline. It's crazy. The prevalence of technology and science in our time gives the false perception that we're fully in control, but this is a reality check. 

My heart goes out to everyone, whether involved in Higher Ed or not. It's going to be a rocky road forward. 

Got rejected from Syracuse and Purdue this week.

It looks like I am headed to University of Kentucky. I realize it's not the highest ranked program, but I am excited about it anyway, assuming COVID-19 doesn't ruin everything.

Also, a side note, I think I found out one of my recommenders thought I was applying for Spanish programs, so maybe that played a role in my many rejections! Oh well.