Jump to content
Jill98

MPH 2020 Canada

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, xttr said:

Hey! Would you mind sharing why you're choosing SFU?

Sure! A few reasons are 1. Depth and breadth of course offerings- more required courses than the other programs, option to take additional electives, the range of required courses touch on a variety of topics important to me, and between the required courses and elective offerings I can focus on quantitative skills 2. location (volunteer/research opportunities and plenty of practicum choices in van if I don’t want to relocate for the summer) 3. Capstone- I don’t want to do a thesis and I think this is a great alternative 4. They offered funding 5. Social justice perspective. This is a big one for me personally and career wise, although if you want a purely quantitative career it may not be as important

if you'd like to discuss further feel free to message me, good luck w your decision!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glhw said:

Sure! A few reasons are 1. Depth and breadth of course offerings- more required courses than the other programs, option to take additional electives, the range of required courses touch on a variety of topics important to me, and between the required courses and elective offerings I can focus on quantitative skills 2. location (volunteer/research opportunities and plenty of practicum choices in van if I don’t want to relocate for the summer) 3. Capstone- I don’t want to do a thesis and I think this is a great alternative 4. They offered funding 5. Social justice perspective. This is a big one for me personally and career wise, although if you want a purely quantitative career it may not be as important

if you'd like to discuss further feel free to message me, good luck w your decision!

Thank you! Just messaged you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xttr said:

Hi!! Could you explain why you chose SFU over UBC?

 

4 hours ago, Mph2020! said:

Hey!! If I may ask what reasons did you choose SFU over UofA and UBC?

Sure sure, like a couple other others have already mentioned, I am also not huge on pigeon-holing myself in one specific area of Public Health with UofA's program with their specific streams. If you're set on studying a specific topic, then UofA is great for that. I know they're excellent for Health Policy, for example. I didn't want to move out of province for school, so that was an easy decision.

UBC's program (from my discussion with other UBC MPH alumni and just looking at their core curriculum) is quite heavy on biostats/epi/quantitative analysis, which I don't know if I'll enjoy and see myself pursuing as a career path in, but who knows! It's definitely a fundamental aspect in public health, and if you're extremely interested in studying patterns of disease and are a very analytical person, it's a great fit for you! 

SFU, despite being super surface level with their curriculum, has a well-rounded approach which I appreciate. The capstone is very appealing for me as well, since I want that extra challenge. I'm not super into social justice tbh, but I know SFU is known for health promotion which is more of what I want to do. I also wanted a change of environment since UBC was where I did my undergrad. Some more superficial things: I also received funding and it's a more pleasant commute for me. 😆

Either way, I wouldn't say one school is better than the other. I've heard from students at different MPH programs that their program was less than perfect. What you put in is what you get out of it! 

My advice is to talk to alumni/current students (via LinkedIn, email, over messages if you personally know any) to get their thoughts, have a look at the courses offered and the faculty/teaching staff from each program, make a pros/cons chart for each school and that might make things clearer for you! Everyone has their own rationale. Hope this helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sekai said:

 

Sure sure, like a couple other others have already mentioned, I am also not huge on pigeon-holing myself in one specific area of Public Health with UofA's program with their specific streams. If you're set on studying a specific topic, then UofA is great for that. I know they're excellent for Health Policy, for example. I didn't want to move out of province for school, so that was an easy decision.

UBC's program (from my discussion with other UBC MPH alumni and just looking at their core curriculum) is quite heavy on biostats/epi/quantitative analysis, which I don't know if I'll enjoy and see myself pursuing as a career path in, but who knows! It's definitely a fundamental aspect in public health, and if you're extremely interested in studying patterns of disease and are a very analytical person, it's a great fit for you! 

SFU, despite being super surface level with their curriculum, has a well-rounded approach which I appreciate. The capstone is very appealing for me as well, since I want that extra challenge. I'm not super into social justice tbh, but I know SFU is known for health promotion which is more of what I want to do. I also wanted a change of environment since UBC was where I did my undergrad. Some more superficial things: I also received funding and it's a more pleasant commute for me. 😆

Either way, I wouldn't say one school is better than the other. I've heard from students at different MPH programs that their program was less than perfect. What you put in is what you get out of it! 

My advice is to talk to alumni/current students (via LinkedIn, email, over messages if you personally know any) to get their thoughts, have a look at the courses offered and the faculty/teaching staff from each program, make a pros/cons chart for each school and that might make things clearer for you! Everyone has their own rationale. Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for this thoughtful response! I really really appreciate it :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for those of you choosing guelph as your #1, what’s your reasoning? trying to decide between guelph and queens and having a tough time 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kat95 said:

for those of you choosing guelph as your #1, what’s your reasoning? trying to decide between guelph and queens and having a tough time 😅

I'm also trying to decide between those two! My undergrad was in biology so I was leaning towards Guelph because their zoonotic disease elective sounded really interesting and I had a friend who went to Guelph for their mph and said that having the Ontario Vet affiliation was a really interesting side of their mph degree with the course. I only like Queen's because it's my alma mater which I guess isn't the best reason but whatever works for you! 

Also, if you're deciding between something else and Guelph, lots of schools have the potential to let you take other mph school electives which was something I was looking into if I didn't choose Guelph. Except most schools only let you during the practicum summer, the zoonotic course at Guelph doesn't run during the summer. So if you had any other electives in mind that do run during the summer, that's always a plus! 

Good luck with your decision!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay...i’m starting to get nervous. grad assistant at queens told me they would let us know if we’re waitlisted or rejected. i know they sent rejections out tuesday and i still haven’t heard anything. both my portals for queens and guelph are not updated....

 

anyone else in this position? 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kat95 said:

for those of you choosing guelph as your #1, what’s your reasoning? trying to decide between guelph and queens and having a tough time 😅

My number one reason really is the location. I have family in Toronto and would be nice to be close to them. But I also really like the variety in courses Guelph provides, the integration of zoonotic diseases is definitely a nice twist, and very fitting because of what the world is currently going through with COVID-19. Guelph also allows 4 electives from any courses in the graduate calendar as I understand, and that will allow me to explore other fields of interest (particularly for me, I'm hoping ill be allowed to take the One Health course which connects animal, human, and environmental systems). The capstone project will also allow me to test my skills and enhance those skills for the real world :) Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, phlove33 said:

ALSO offers for brock went out/going out for anyone waiting for that!!!!

I emailed them yesterday and they said they wouldn’t start sending them out until tomorrow? Did you receive news today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RMSK said:

I emailed them yesterday and they said they wouldn’t start sending them out until tomorrow? Did you receive news today?

I just checked the portal and it shows that I was admitted after I saw @phlove33's post!! I haven't received an email but here is what's online, thanks for the notification!

Anybody else accepting?? We should make a group especially since its an online masters, looking forward to meeting all of you 😊

 1510807870_ScreenShot2020-04-02at12_09_00PM.thumb.png.2368010f8ba192c476221db10a985d97.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MPHtwenty said:

I just checked the portal and it shows that I was admitted after I saw @phlove33's post!! I haven't received an email but here is what's online, thanks for the notification!

Anybody else accepting?? We should make a group especially since its an online masters, looking forward to meeting all of you 😊

 1510807870_ScreenShot2020-04-02at12_09_00PM.thumb.png.2368010f8ba192c476221db10a985d97.png

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mphc said:

I'm also trying to decide between those two! My undergrad was in biology so I was leaning towards Guelph because their zoonotic disease elective sounded really interesting and I had a friend who went to Guelph for their mph and said that having the Ontario Vet affiliation was a really interesting side of their mph degree with the course. I only like Queen's because it's my alma mater which I guess isn't the best reason but whatever works for you! 

Also, if you're deciding between something else and Guelph, lots of schools have the potential to let you take other mph school electives which was something I was looking into if I didn't choose Guelph. Except most schools only let you during the practicum summer, the zoonotic course at Guelph doesn't run during the summer. So if you had any other electives in mind that do run during the summer, that's always a plus! 

Good luck with your decision!

I am just finishing up my undergrad at Guelph and did my research project in the Pop Med department! The One Health aspect is amazing and having the OVC really allowed for integration and cool research. I loved being here but am actually planning on heading to Queen's for an MSc Epi. Do you mind me asking what are some reasons you wouldn't want to go back to Queen's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somethingeasytoremember said:

I am just finishing up my undergrad at Guelph and did my research project in the Pop Med department! The One Health aspect is amazing and having the OVC really allowed for integration and cool research. I loved being here but am actually planning on heading to Queen's for an MSc Epi. Do you mind me asking what are some reasons you wouldn't want to go back to Queen's?

I am just finishing up my undergrad at Guelph as well and thinking of accepting at Queen's MPH! Probably will see you in the fall :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Mphasp said:

Can know how you are notified as ur in waiting list and what they wrote to you 

They sent me an email in early March letting me know I was on the wait list and said I could hear back anytime before July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mph2020!! said:

I am just finishing up my undergrad at Guelph as well and thinking of accepting at Queen's MPH! Probably will see you in the fall :) 

why did you decide on queens? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Somethingeasytoremember said:

I am just finishing up my undergrad at Guelph and did my research project in the Pop Med department! The One Health aspect is amazing and having the OVC really allowed for integration and cool research. I loved being here but am actually planning on heading to Queen's for an MSc Epi. Do you mind me asking what are some reasons you wouldn't want to go back to Queen's?

Congratulations on getting in! I don't mean to hate on Queen's, I actually love it here in Kingston because I love small towns but I find that there isn't a lot of support on campus academic/mental health wise. In my personal experience, I found that the academic advisors didn't provide a lot of advising and I felt more judgement than anything and the mental health resources here take a good amount of time to even speak with a professional. I'm pretty sure that graduate students have their own version of academic advisors but I don't expect them to be very different. Not that these are huge reasons but I have heard some great things about Guelph from my boss (I also work for Queen's currently) and another PhD student who did her undergrad at Queen's then masters at Guelph then PhD at Queen's (she chose to come back to Queen's because of the amount of funding they wanted to provide her for her research). I figured it would be a great time for some change!

(Also, if I were to get the same caliber of academic rigour at either of these institutions, I'd prefer to stay away from the reputation that Queen's has amassed over the past few years. I was at Queen's for the horrid horse slapping, the racist party, and the coronavirus party which honestly wasn't the best look for Queen's.)

All the best with your decision making!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.