Jump to content
mhua94

Masters of Health Informatics (U of T/Waterloo) Fall 2020

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

I'm looking into Masters of Health Informatics (MHI) programs for the fall of 2020. This seems like a somewhat overwhelming process, so, much like the years before, I thought a thread for everyone in the same boat might be useful!

A bit about me - I attended Western University for Health Sciences and graduated in 2017. Afterwards, I attended U of T for my Bachelor of Science in Nursing and will be writing my NCLEX in the coming weeks. I have a lot of clinical experiences from nursing as well as using a variety of different EHRs in several hospitals in Toronto.

I'm looking to apply to U of T and possibly University of Waterloo. I'm very interested in the MHI at U of T and would have to say it's my first choice. I'm skeptical about applying to Waterloo just because it is an online program and there's little information about it on the website and from other students.

I'd love to chat with any current MHI students in either of these programs (or any others in Canada!) and anyone else going though this process :)

Edited by mhua94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an MPH at UWaterloo- MHI is a really new program, I can provide insight on the online nature of the program (if desired)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, narnajas said:

Just got an interview invite to UofT.

Congratulations! Can you tell me a bit about your background? Like your education and career experience related to health informatics.  Also is the interview format like last year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, narnajas said:

Just got an interview invite to UofT.

Congrats! As mentioned from above, if you don't mind sharing us your education and career experience related to MHI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, honestly I was surprised that I even got an interview since I am a recent lifesci grad with no real industry experience with health informatics. My cGPA was around 3.85 but my final year was on the lower side ~3.75. On my personal statement I tried to emphasize coursework/research work and extracurriculars where I learned about the importance of leveraging data to inform decisions. For instance, I was involved with a lot of data processing and analysis through my research lab (at a hospital) which allowed me to see how raw data could be used to generate conclusions and ultimately inform a clinicians decisions. I also emphasized what fascinated me about the MHI program (i.e. its curriculum, structure) and a general idea of how it would help me reach my career goals.

Did anyone else receive an interview? Curious to know how you guys are preparing as I am completely lost haha.

8 hours ago, Aaar19 said:

Congratulations! Can you tell me a bit about your background? Like your education and career experience related to health informatics.  Also is the interview format like last year? 

Yes it seems to be the exact same format as last years interview.

Edited by narnajas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not received the interview email, last night I called Zoe but she said that emails for all the interviews are already sent out. I wonder whether i got rejected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, naureen.rehman said:

I have not received the interview email, last night I called Zoe but she said that emails for all the interviews are already sent out. I wonder whether i got rejected?

Really? I emailed Zoe on Thursday and she said they would send interview invites this week and next week. Did anyone else contact Zoe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, naureen.rehman said:

I have not received the interview email, last night I called Zoe but she said that emails for all the interviews are already sent out. I wonder whether i got rejected?

Didn't receive an e-mail either :(.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, Aaar19 said:

Really? I emailed Zoe on Thursday and she said they would send interview invites this week and next week. Did anyone else contact Zoe? 

Dont knw,  plz let us know if any one gets any information.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just called Zoe and she said that she’s still sending interview invites! She said that the invites should all be sent out by the end of this week or early next week, so don’t lose hope! 

Edited by Aaar19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Aaar19 said:

I just called Zoe and she said that she’s still sending interview invites! She said that the invites should all be sent out by the end of this week or early next week, so don’t lose hope! 

Thanks for clarifying with Zoe! This literally saved me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aaar19 said:

I just called Zoe and she said that she’s still sending interview invites! She said that the invites should all be sent out by the end of this week or early next week, so don’t lose hope! 

Thanks for the info. Anyone getting interview mail please update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

Hey what was your topic for the presentation? I have some ideas on what I want to present on but I wanted to know how specific the topic needs to be. Also do you know what kinds of behavioral questions the interviewers ask? Appreciate any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

 

2 hours ago, jeb_71 said:

Hey what was your topic for the presentation? I have some ideas on what I want to present on but I wanted to know how specific the topic needs to be. Also do you know what kinds of behavioral questions the interviewers ask? Appreciate any help.

This. Would love to know this as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Puckcisco said:

 

This. Would love to know this as well!

So for my presentation, I did mine on implementing a discharge tool at my workplace. Usually a specific topic that's relevant to you or you're passionate about would be best. In terms of the questions, they are usually your standard interview questions regarding conflict resolution, future career goals, why health informatics etc. They are there to just see your thought processes and how you communicate so don't overthink the interview but definitely prepare your answers.  Hopefully that was helpful. Let me know if you have anymore questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone, 

I only received an interview invite this morning! I wasn't even aware of this group until then - honestly, I was expecting to hear back early March. 

Now that I'm here, let's talk about presentation topics. I am open to brainstorming & discussion. 

Message me for my LinkedIn, let's connect! 

Edited by clrn02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

Hi..Could you please guide how and what to prepare for interview. I would be grateful for your support. My email id: afrinbdr2@gmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, clrn02 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I only received an interview invite this morning! I wasn't even aware of this group until then - honestly, I was expecting to hear back early March. 

Now that I'm here, let's talk about presentation topics. I am open to brainstorming & discussion. 

Message me for my LinkedIn, let's connect! 

Great...Congratulations..Please connect me too

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

Hello Shelley, how would you compare the MHI program in Toronto to Mcmaster eHealth program. Are there are pros and cons we should know of? Do you get to interact with your counterparts at Mcmaster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.