Jump to content
mhua94

Masters of Health Informatics (U of T/Waterloo) Fall 2020

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, clrn02 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I only received an interview invite this morning! I wasn't even aware of this group until then - honestly, I was expecting to hear back early March. 

Now that I'm here, let's talk about presentation topics. I am open to brainstorming & discussion. 

Message me for my LinkedIn, let's connect! 

Great...Congratulations..Please connect me too.

 

Are the interviews telephonic or in person? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an invite this morning for an in person interview. 

On 2/16/2020 at 2:14 PM, M.Shelley said:

Hey guys!! I'm currently in the MHI program at UofT and would love to answer any questions. Feel free to message me. 

Hello Shelley would you mind sharing us how to be better prepared for the written assessment? What kinda questions were being asked and is there anything we should know in advance? Many thanks for your insights!

Edited by Jojo9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 2:02 PM, l8duong said:

I'm an MPH at UWaterloo- MHI is a really new program, I can provide insight on the online nature of the program (if desired)

Hello I8duong I was wondering does waterloo do interviews for MHI admission? How do you like the online learning experience, any pros and cons? Many thanks!

Edited by Jojo9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Afrin said:

Great...Congratulations..Please connect me too.

 

Are the interviews telephonic or in person? 

 

 

I think on skype video but not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jojo9 said:

Hello I8duong I was wondering does waterloo do interviews for MHI admission? How do you like the online learning experience, any pros and cons? Many thanks!

Hi there! Sure!

As far as I know, there are no interviews for the admission process. 

The online program certainly has its pros and cons:

Pros

  • flexibility- it's really nice to be able to choose your own schedule; it gives you a lot of time to do other activities like work or volunteer
  • you get to meet peers from places all over the world, which is really interesting
    • there's a lot of group work involved in the courses, which can be concerning but since everyone is at a graduate level you don't really have to worry as much as you would in undergrad

Cons 

  • it takes a lot of discipline to stick to with your schedule, but I haven't really found it to be too difficult. To be honest, I often ended up learning while doing assignments, rather than going through lecture material
  • since you're online, you really don't get as many 'benefits' that MSc or other graduate students have- the Graduate Student Association doesn't really offer any services to you, despite being a full time student you're not really considered as such because you're off campus (only a big deal if you actually live around Waterloo). Pretty much impossible to get TAships or proctoring jobs

I guess my cons are more in relation to the program, rather than the online aspect itself. I believe that the content of the program is great and I've really enjoyed my experience so far. I also know that they are currently working on having more on campus opportunities for MPH, MHI & MHE students. So more on campus options may be appearing in the near future.

 

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jojo9 said:

I received an invite this morning for an in person interview. 

Hello Shelley would you mind sharing us how to be better prepared for the written assessment? What kinda questions were being asked and is there anything we should know in advance? Many thanks for your insights!

Congratulations on getting an interview!! The questions for the written assessment usually concerns broad topics in health informatics. There is really no specific way to prepare for it but I recommend just reading more into the current ehealth landscape and understand what the trends are and where we're heading for the future. Good luck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, l8duong said:

Hi there! Sure!

As far as I know, there are no interviews for the admission process. 

The online program certainly has its pros and cons:

Pros

  • flexibility- it's really nice to be able to choose your own schedule; it gives you a lot of time to do other activities like work or volunteer
  • you get to meet peers from places all over the world, which is really interesting
    • there's a lot of group work involved in the courses, which can be concerning but since everyone is at a graduate level you don't really have to worry as much as you would in undergrad

Cons 

  • it takes a lot of discipline to stick to with your schedule, but I haven't really found it to be too difficult. To be honest, I often ended up learning while doing assignments, rather than going through lecture material
  • since you're online, you really don't get as many 'benefits' that MSc or other graduate students have- the Graduate Student Association doesn't really offer any services to you, despite being a full time student you're not really considered as such because you're off campus (only a big deal if you actually live around Waterloo). Pretty much impossible to get TAships or proctoring jobs

I guess my cons are more in relation to the program, rather than the online aspect itself. I believe that the content of the program is great and I've really enjoyed my experience so far. I also know that they are currently working on having more on campus opportunities for MPH, MHI & MHE students. So more on campus options may be appearing in the near future.

 

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the insider views!! To me it's a bit weired not having interviews for graduate admission lol probably due to the online nature of the program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, M.Shelley said:

Congratulations on getting an interview!! The questions for the written assessment usually concerns broad topics in health informatics. There is really no specific way to prepare for it but I recommend just reading more into the current ehealth landscape and understand what the trends are and where we're heading for the future. Good luck! 

Thanks for sharing this! Writing on the spot generally makes me super anxious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jojo9 said:

Thank you for the insider views!! To me it's a bit weired not having interviews for graduate admission lol probably due to the online nature of the program?

It's probably not interview based because it's considered a professional program, and therefore you're not really working with any one professor in particular! It's course based, and your 'supervisor' is essentially just there to provide you with administrative support if needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, naureen.rehman said:

Any update regarding mhi interviews at UofT? 

Nop :(

I think they have already sent all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Afrin said:

Nop :(

I think they have already sent all. 

Do you know  anyone who has received interview email?

Edited by naureen.rehman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 12:28 PM, M.Shelley said:

Congratulations on getting an interview!! The questions for the written assessment usually concerns broad topics in health informatics. There is really no specific way to prepare for it but I recommend just reading more into the current ehealth landscape and understand what the trends are and where we're heading for the future. Good luck! 

Hi M.Shelley, I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind me asking 🙂  how far in advance did you know you had an interview?  Were you asked any follow up questions in regards to the presentation you gave? What would you say was the most challenging in terms of the interview (presentation, written component, or the actual interview)? And if you had any general advice to give to someone who doesn’t have an extensive background in the field coming into the interview, what would you say? Thank you so much!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I had my interview today and thought to share you guys my experience. Everyone was super nice, so don't panic, you will be fine!

The interview consists of 4 components (random order): 

1. Written assessment (1 question), you will write it with 2 other applicants in the same room, you will all get different questions. They were very basic topics regarding health informatics. To prepare for it, I would suggest to read and understand what current HI trends are. 

2. Interview with a prof (5-6 questions), questions were mostly situational, like job interview type of q

3. Interview with Julia (5-6q), you will be asked to explain your experience and why you apply for this program

4. Presentation, I didn't recall the interviewee timed mine, so if your presentation is a bit longer than 5min, it is ok but be sure not to push the time limit too far. After the presentation, the prof will ask you follow-up questions about your topic. 

Zoe said they will be accepting 35 MHI students and around 15 EMHI. We will be able to hear back in early April. 

Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jojo9 said:

Hi everyone,

I had my interview today and thought to share you guys my experience. Everyone was super nice, so don't panic, you will be fine!

The interview consists of 4 components (random order): 

1. Written assessment (1 question), you will write it with 2 other applicants in the same room, you will all get different questions. They were very basic topics regarding health informatics. To prepare for it, I would suggest to read and understand what current HI trends are. 

2. Interview with a prof (5-6 questions), questions were mostly situational, like job interview type of q

3. Interview with Julia (5-6q), you will be asked to explain your experience and why you apply for this program

4. Presentation, I didn't recall the interviewee timed mine, so if your presentation is a bit longer than 5min, it is ok but be sure not to push the time limit too far. After the presentation, the prof will ask you follow-up questions about your topic. 

Zoe said they will be accepting 35 MHI students and around 15 EMHI. We will be able to hear back in early April. 

Good luck!!

Thank you so much for this! 
I have been so worried about this interview. You’ve eased my mind a bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jojo9 said:

Hi everyone,

I had my interview today and thought to share you guys my experience. Everyone was super nice, so don't panic, you will be fine!

The interview consists of 4 components (random order): 

1. Written assessment (1 question), you will write it with 2 other applicants in the same room, you will all get different questions. They were very basic topics regarding health informatics. To prepare for it, I would suggest to read and understand what current HI trends are. 

2. Interview with a prof (5-6 questions), questions were mostly situational, like job interview type of q

3. Interview with Julia (5-6q), you will be asked to explain your experience and why you apply for this program

4. Presentation, I didn't recall the interviewee timed mine, so if your presentation is a bit longer than 5min, it is ok but be sure not to push the time limit too far. After the presentation, the prof will ask you follow-up questions about your topic. 

Zoe said they will be accepting 35 MHI students and around 15 EMHI. We will be able to hear back in early April. 

Good luck!!

Great..Thanks for  sharing the details with us. If you please don't mind could you please share some details of your written assessment and about your presentation?  Is the presentation topic already provided or given at the spot? How do we have to present it? PPT or orally? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Afrin
I believe it’s a topic of your own choosing. The presentation should already be ready to present.

if you check Zoe’s email there is a guideline to follow for the presentation. 

Edited by Carms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Carms said:

@Afrin
I believe it’s a topic of your own choosing. The presentation should already be ready to present.

if you check Zoe’s email there is a guideline to follow for the presentation. 

okay @Carms..Actually I haven't receive invitation yet, I was hopeful but I guess they have completed their interview invitations. :(

All the best to you for your interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 10:51 PM, naureen.rehman said:

Do you know  anyone who has received interview email?

Yes in this group..Check Jojo's post. He/she has posted about interview experience. 

I had an international credentials, may be thats the reason for not being considered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.