LittleShakespeare90

Starting a new job as an adjunct professor of English Comp. Any advice?

Hello, everyone.

I've been meaning to write this post for quite some time, but I've just been so busy with this SAT college prep class that I've been teaching this summer. For the past five years, I have been working as a high school English teacher, but I am hoping to make the full transition to college. I'm applying to PhD programs for the Fall 2020 cycle. 

Luckily, I was able to get two jobs as an adjunct at nearby community colleges. I am somewhat nervous since I have never taught a college class before. I will be teaching research and writing, not literature courses. :( But I am just grateful to get my foot in the door. 

Are there any valuable resources that I can read? Any good book recommendations or blogs I can become acquainted with? 

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Hi LittleS,

I listen a lot to Teaching in Higher Ed podcast. It is led by Bonni Staciowiak, who invites people in every episode. They usually talk about a specific book that the guest has released or a resource that they have developed. It's good to be exposed to a myriad of teaching strategies, planning resources, and classroom ideas. I'm sure that transitioning from HS, you will find these ideas are sometimes very specific. However, HS teachers are very creative so I don't doubt you'll be able to pick some ideas and transform them in something that works for your class. 

In addition, the podcast has "recommendations" which are random things speakers recommend, from a robot vacuum cleaner to college-teaching books. These are so popular that they have their own tab in the website! For example, a recommendation that you might find useful is the Open Syllabus Project where researchers have mapped over 6 million syllabi and tracked how we teach differently. You can search what are the most assigned books/resources. In history, for instance, Marx is right there in the top 5. Recommendations can be filtered, so if you filter books, you'll see a nice array of books that might be good to start reading. 

That said, your experience in HS is VERY valuable. You have worked with teenagers who, in my opinion and experience, are the age group most demanding as you start always at a disadvantage. You are probably more creative and more resilient than several of your peers. Congratulations on you new position!

Hi! Feel free to drop me a message if you like: I spent a year teaching a few CCs between my MA and PhD, and I'd be happy to share whatever experiences and stories might be useful!