BrendonSW

Fall 2020 PhD Social Work / Welfare

Hi folks! My name is Brendon and I used this site a lot back in 2016 when I was applying to MSW programs. Since the site was so helpful then, I wanted to create a thread for those looking into PhD programs in Social Work to be admitted in 2020. 

I started looking into programs in late 2018 and began making faculty connections then. Over the past month or so, I've officially decided to apply. I haven't 100% decided on where I'm applying but I have a few programs in mind. Those include: (1) University of Michigan, (2) Wash. University in St. Louis, (3) Michigan State University, (4) University of Denver, (5) Hunter College, and lastly, (6) University of Washington. I'd like to only apply to 3-4 schools, so I'm currently trying to eliminate 2-3 from my list. My main priority is having a program that feels supportive of me, my interests, and my professional goals. I specifically want to work with LGBTQ+ people (even more specifically, trans and nonbinary folks), so finding an affirming school is also a priority. 

How are other folks feeling? Do you have a few schools in mind? What are your main areas of interest? I really wanted to create this thread as a way for us to support one another and possibly get answers! It's nice to know you aren't alone when going through this process and that there's an entire community of people going through something similar. 

On 10/31/2019 at 9:01 PM, dtuda said:

Hi, I am also applying! NYU, Columbia, Wash U, BU, and UPenn. Good luck!

Good luck! Are most of your deadlines coming up on December 1? One of mine (U of Michigan) is coming up on the 18th of this month... 

On 12/2/2019 at 7:12 PM, dani.ela said:

Ah, sorry for the delay. I had a few come up yesterday-- all submitted though. I ended up applying to U of Washington and Berkeley as well. 

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed! When do you expect to hear back from most schools? Do you have 1-2 schools that you're leaning toward or hoping for?