Jump to content

Canada MSW 2020


Recommended Posts

On 10/20/2019 at 8:55 PM, karanMSW said:

If anyone has any experience at Lakehead's HBSW program, please message me! I'm looking to apply this year and would love your insight

Hey, I'm in the HBSW program currently if you (or if others reading this) have questions! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I totally empathize with how awful waiting can be. I applied the last two years to graduate programs where the applications were due December/January and you didn't find out until May. It was so hard,

Hey, I just wanna clarify this, as I am a current U of T student. Online classes and practicum have not yet been confirmed for Fall 2020.  We received news yesterday that they are preparing for it jus

I just got invited to U of T’s MSW as well!! I’m actually shocked! Congrats to everyone who was accepted so far!    To those still waiting, if you get in this year, that’s incredible! If not, a

Posted Images

On 10/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Hello everyone! I am currently a first year student in the 2-year MSW program at Laurier! I know exactly what you are all going through. If anyone has any questions or would like further insight about Laurier's program, let me know! I'd be happy to help. :)

Good luck!

Hi! That's awesome! I was wondering what kind of social work experience did u have prior to applying for the 2 year MSW program at Laurier? Thanks :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, aspiringmsw2019 said:

Hello everyone! I am currently a first year student in the 2-year MSW program at Laurier! I know exactly what you are all going through. If anyone has any questions or would like further insight about Laurier's program, let me know! I'd be happy to help. :)

Good luck!

Hi! I'm considering applying to the 2-year MSW program at Laurier this application season. I'm debating between the on-campus track vs. the online track for the program. The commute to Laurier would be around 2.5 hours for me. Is the schedule mostly in blocks or scattered throughout the days? Also, do you happen to know how competitive the online program is?

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AyeshaH said:

Hi! I'm considering applying to the 2-year MSW program at Laurier this application season. I'm debating between the on-campus track vs. the online track for the program. The commute to Laurier would be around 2.5 hours for me. Is the schedule mostly in blocks or scattered throughout the days? Also, do you happen to know how competitive the online program is?

Thank you!

I can tell you the 2-year online program is very competitive. They have been getting over 400 applicants and accept 40 per term. Most the people in my courses have about a decade of experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ErinCM said:

I can tell you the 2-year online program is very competitive. They have been getting over 400 applicants and accept 40 per term. Most the people in my courses have about a decade of experience. 

Ahh okay, thank you for the information!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 10:21 PM, Rehbekuh said:

All 3 schools have a good reputation. U of T has the capacity to be front line focused, they do have an emphasis on research as well and are rated the #1 best school of social work in Canada and #2 in the world. Western is very front line clinical focused. York is policy focused. Part of the MSW experience is being able to network, so one consideration might be which school is closest to the community you would like to settle down in and grow your career. 

Hi Rehbekuh and others.

Thanks, this is a helpful summary.  

Just out of curiosity,  where are you getting your rankings from?  I haven't been able to find much out there about Canadian schools for social work?

Edited by jdnr86
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there are any alumni or current students of the MSW program at UWO, I'd love to hear about your experience at the school in terms of quality of classes, professors, field placements, ease of finding work afterwards.  Also, I know Kings College at UWO is technically a public catholic university college.  I was wondering if this is merely a historical connection or if there are any discernible "Catholic" elements in either the MSW program or in the student life at Kings more generally? 

Anything that comes to mind about the MSW at UWO, please share!  Thanks so much!

Edited by jdnr86
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all! 
This will be my second time applying to 2-year MSW programs, this time online programs ONLY so just Laurier and another program in the States. 
I graduated Western University in 2018, with an honors specialization in Family Studies and a major in Psychology. I am currently enrolled in Fanshawe's fasttrack ECE program. My undergrad grades were good, with my 4th year overall average an 88%. My college ECE grades are all 90s so far. I think what held me back the first time I applied was my lack of real-world experience. Although I have more experience now I certainly could have more. I’m currently an educator at a before-and-after school program, I’ve worked 4+ years as a camp counsellor, and I was a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons. I want to go into social work specifically to working with children, especially in the area of children’s mental health, ideally in a school setting. I would also love to teach at a College level. Anyone else in a similar position as me in terms of applying? 
Best of luck to everyone!! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, jdnr86 said:

Hi Rehbekuh and others.

Thanks, this is a helpful summary.  

Just out of curiosity,  where are you getting your rankings from?  I haven't been able to find much out there about Canadian schools for social work?

U of T highlights the ranking in their program guide and at their information session, not sure where it’s from. You could try emailing the school and see if they would provide this information.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

 

I applied for Laurier May 2020 ( 2 year stream) and called the school to figure out when admissions decisions go out. I was told that decisions will be released February 2020. I figured I'd post that here in case anyone is curious! The adviser also stated that they do NOT provide feedback on applications. 

 

Fingers Crossed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! Laurier posted that the “close date” of the Advanced standing Is December 1. Does anyone know if this means that the application must be submitted before December 1 or do we still have December 1st to submit documents? I was confused whether this usage of the word application “close date” meant that November 30 was the last day to submit or not.

Ive tried calling but they appear to be closed for the weekend so if anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Danny11
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Danny11 said:

Hi there! Laurier posted that the “close date” of the Advanced standing Is December 1. Does anyone know if this means that the application must be submitted before December 1 or do we still have December 1st to submit documents? I was confused whether this usage of the word application “close date” meant that November 30 was the last day to submit or not.

Ive tried calling but they appear to be closed for the weekend so if anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!

In their information session webinar on their website, they say "on or before the application deadline date". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, KKAUR154 said:

Hey!

 

I applied for Laurier May 2020 ( 2 year stream) and called the school to figure out when admissions decisions go out. I was told that decisions will be released February 2020. I figured I'd post that here in case anyone is curious! The adviser also stated that they do NOT provide feedback on applications. 

 

Fingers Crossed!

Hi there!

I applied a couple of times, and typically the advanced standing stream is released February 2020. I wouldn't expect to hear from Laurier for the 2 year stream until late March/early April... they've been pretty consistent on this so I didn't want you to get your hopes up!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! 

Wondering if there is anyone else out there applying for McMaster's Critical Analysis (thesis) program?? I am almost done my application and eager to hear how other people are feeling. 

Also wondering if anyone else has applied for it in the last few years and what your experiences are?

-C

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 2:10 PM, 7astrology-- said:

Is anyone else freaking out that UofT is already due in 2 days?

YUPPPP! I still can't get over how their application asks for -substantially more- work than any of the other schools I'm applying to. Best of luck over the next 24 hours! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.