Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I totally empathize with how awful waiting can be. I applied the last two years to graduate programs where the applications were due December/January and you didn't find out until May. It was so hard,

Hey, I just wanna clarify this, as I am a current U of T student. Online classes and practicum have not yet been confirmed for Fall 2020.  We received news yesterday that they are preparing for it jus

I just got invited to U of T’s MSW as well!! I’m actually shocked! Congrats to everyone who was accepted so far!    To those still waiting, if you get in this year, that’s incredible! If not, a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wgsttomsw said:

I've spoke to both Carleton and Laurier and they both said the fall semester will be a mix of in-class and online, and likely things will return to normal in the winter. HOWEVER, practicums may be distance/online 

Thanks for sharing! That's too bad but it makes sense for everyone's safety.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MasterSW2020 said:

For those who live in Ontario, I'm curious if the provincial government has released any sort of guideline or plan for the coming months? I live in BC and our Premier announced our plan today. The plan says that if transmission rates remain low, then in September post-secondary institutions will operate with a mix of in-person/online courses.

I suspect it would be the same for Ontario, but just curious if it has been announced widely. Of course even with a plan, I know it will ultimately depend on the state of affairs. I will be starting at Carleton in the fall so I'm super anxious not being sure if classes will be completely online and therefore I would stay here at home for the semester, or if it will be a mixed model with some in-person classes. 

I completely understand your anxiety! I am from BC as well and will be attending UofT so I'd be moving to Ontario too. The uncertainty of not knowing whether the classes will be online or in-person sucks, because I really want to start planning where I would live, etc. But as stated by others on the forum that they will probably be a mix of in-class and online, I guess I'll assume that I'll be moving. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K_J said:

I completely understand your anxiety! I am from BC as well and will be attending UofT so I'd be moving to Ontario too. The uncertainty of not knowing whether the classes will be online or in-person sucks, because I really want to start planning where I would live, etc. But as stated by others on the forum that they will probably be a mix of in-class and online, I guess I'll assume that I'll be moving. 

Me too! Not knowing and therefore not being able to plan is really frustrating. 

Hoping for a smooth move for the both of us!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Coolcat2019 said:

I’m in the same boat - nothing from Laurier although I feel my chances are slim. I got into Yorkville for masters in counselling but doesn’t everyone? I’m worried it’s a degree mill that only wants $.. the cost is outrageous and I’m terrified I’ll do it as a last resort and then regret it lol

I know, that was my initial thought. I have a colleague who is finished the course work and loved it. Said it was challenging but very very good, she feels like it equipped her for the work we do (intensive family treatment) than an MSW might have.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConfusedTherapist said:

I know, that was my initial thought. I have a colleague who is finished the course work and loved it. Said it was challenging but very very good, she feels like it equipped her for the work we do (intensive family treatment) than an MSW might have.

I'm not working as a social worker, so I don't really understand the main differences. Could you still get a social worker job with the counselling masters from there? It is pricy. But maybe beats not getting into programs over and over, despite being qualified (just how competitive they are). I also wonder, with this credential, could you still be registered with CASW or SW provincial registrations?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmfmsw said:

I'm not working as a social worker, so I don't really understand the main differences. Could you still get a social worker job with the counselling masters from there? It is pricy. But maybe beats not getting into programs over and over, despite being qualified (just how competitive they are). I also wonder, with this credential, could you still be registered with CASW or SW provincial registrations?

I believe you need an MSW or BSW to register with CASW. Not sure about each individual province - though I believe this is also the case in Ontario. 
 

Maybe a look at job postings and see what credentials are asked for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCCPHopeful said:

For those of you who have been offered a spot off the waitlist for U of T's 2 year MSW, did Angela just say to let her know ASAP or were you given a date to let her know by? Thanks!!

I received a "time sensitive" email confirming my interest in a spot that had just opened up, after which Angela uploaded the decision document. The decision document that was uploaded onto the SGS portal however allows for 4 weeks to accept or decline. Hope that helps!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SCCPHopeful said:

For those of you who have been offered a spot off the waitlist for U of T's 2 year MSW, did Angela just say to let her know ASAP or were you given a date to let her know by? Thanks!!

She just said ASAP. I responded the same day because I felt panic haha but then they updated my status on acorn and I have till June 1st to pay and fully accept 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jmfmsw said:

I'm not working as a social worker, so I don't really understand the main differences. Could you still get a social worker job with the counselling masters from there? It is pricy. But maybe beats not getting into programs over and over, despite being qualified (just how competitive they are). I also wonder, with this credential, could you still be registered with CASW or SW provincial registrations?

so i'm looking into psychotherapy training programs - not through yorkville but through other experiential programs in Toronto - in particular the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy (CTP). The CTP is a 6 year PART-TIME program, with the first 2 years being theoretical and the last 4 years being practical (i.e. in the 3rd year you enter a pre-clinical phase and in the last 4, 5 and 6th years you have actual clients to counsel and it's all supervised). The program has requires you go through your own therapy throughout the program and participate in intensive group therapy sessions with your peers. I've heard great things about the program and i also appreciate their approach to admissions - it's incredibly holistic and also resource intensive on their end (before even applying you have to have an interview with the faculty, and after submitting in your application you're interviewed 2 more times). 

The program will NOT allow you to be a social worker or register with social worker bodies because it is not a social work program, as it is a psychotherapy training program. After completion you have the required hours and qualification to register with the CRPO (College of registered psychotherapists Of Ontario) and practice as a psychotherapist. This program is ideal if your main priority and goal is to be a counselor/psychotherapist rather than a social worker with broader competencies. While social workers who are registered (RSW) can call themselves psychotherapist and can practice as psychotherapists, social workers need to obtain the minimum hours of supervised clients to qualify. Many MSW programs including the very clinical ones (I.e UOFT) will not give you enough hours to register after you are done, so you'll need to get a job/position counselling clients while being supervised. Of course this is possible is done by MANY social workers! The reality is if you primarily want to be a psychotherapist - 2 years of MSW won't be enough to qualify you for that. 

 

PROS/CONS: if you want to practice in other areas that are privy to social workers, this degree won't enable you to do that (at least for now. Qualifications are changing all the time and the practice of psychotherapy is becoming more accredited - giving it more legitimacy); its a 6 year program (pros and cons) as it's part time and meant for you to be able to work and attend to your other relational needs outside of the program. 

Also caveat* in order to apply to this program you'll need to have undergone 80 hours of individual psychodynamic therapy.

-------- 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, julygal20 said:

so i'm looking into psychotherapy training programs - not through yorkville but through other experiential programs in Toronto - in particular the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy (CTP). The CTP is a 6 year PART-TIME program, with the first 2 years being theoretical and the last 4 years being practical (i.e. in the 3rd year you enter a pre-clinical phase and in the last 4, 5 and 6th years you have actual clients to counsel and it's all supervised). The program has requires you go through your own therapy throughout the program and participate in intensive group therapy sessions with your peers. I've heard great things about the program and i also appreciate their approach to admissions - it's incredibly holistic and also resource intensive on their end (before even applying you have to have an interview with the faculty, and after submitting in your application you're interviewed 2 more times). 

The program will NOT allow you to be a social worker or register with social worker bodies because it is not a social work program, as it is a psychotherapy training program. After completion you have the required hours and qualification to register with the CRPO (College of registered psychotherapists Of Ontario) and practice as a psychotherapist. This program is ideal if your main priority and goal is to be a counselor/psychotherapist rather than a social worker with broader competencies. While social workers who are registered (RSW) can call themselves psychotherapist and can practice as psychotherapists, social workers need to obtain the minimum hours of supervised clients to qualify. Many MSW programs including the very clinical ones (I.e UOFT) will not give you enough hours to register after you are done, so you'll need to get a job/position counselling clients while being supervised. Of course this is possible is done by MANY social workers! The reality is if you primarily want to be a psychotherapist - 2 years of MSW won't be enough to qualify you for that. 

 

PROS/CONS: if you want to practice in other areas that are privy to social workers, this degree won't enable you to do that (at least for now. Qualifications are changing all the time and the practice of psychotherapy is becoming more accredited - giving it more legitimacy); its a 6 year program (pros and cons) as it's part time and meant for you to be able to work and attend to your other relational needs outside of the program. 

Also caveat* in order to apply to this program you'll need to have undergone 80 hours of individual psychodynamic therapy.

-------- 

 

This is interesting - thank you so much. 

My main goal is to be a social worker and work with children and families with the provincial government in BC. So, I think the Yorkville program wouldn't be exactly what I'm looking for. Even if it could get me into a social worker position; I do want the credential and to be registered at least at the provincial level, and perhaps federal.  It's too bad they don't offer Social Work as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there!

I'm wondering if any folks who applied to social work diploma programs in Toronto or to the one-year HBSW at Lakehead would be open to discussing with me their rationale and experiences? I'm thinking that it might be better for me to reapply to these programs next year and hopefully the MSW after that! 

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, julygal20 said:

Hi there!

I'm wondering if any folks who applied to social work diploma programs in Toronto or to the one-year HBSW at Lakehead would be open to discussing with me their rationale and experiences? I'm thinking that it might be better for me to reapply to these programs next year and hopefully the MSW after that! 

 

Thank you!

Waterloo also has a 10 month BSW program! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, AlexBeans said:

any news on people getting off the wait list for UfT 2 year program yet?

I haven't heard anything yet personally. But, earlier in this forum two individuals have said they got offers of the waitlist for U of T 2 year MSW so there is movement!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy moly, just received an offer for an OGS to Ryerson ($15k) just as I was about to accept an offer to York because of their wild financial package ($18k). Anybody else happen to be in a similar predicament? RE: Contemplating Ryerson v. York; navigating financial decisions alongside program specifics. Would love to hear what others are taking into consideration and weighing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.