Jump to content

2020 application thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been taken off the waitlist at Indiana! Just received my formal offer today and I have to say that I'm relieved/emotional/over the moon. I'm going to get a PhD! I'm still on the waitlist at

quite a lot to unpack here. you assume that I’m not using this as a way to put a better application forward next year which is quite a big assumption to make. I’d like to recontextualize: I said I was

sorry but why do you feel the need to be such an asshole about this? the poster didn't get into a program they really wanted to and are upset about the way the rejection was dealt with. sounds perfect

So this is a new one for me: Got an email from my POI, followed shortly by an Admissions rep, accepting me to Washington State; they were my No. 2 choice, and that's awesome. But I've been waitlisted for a TAship. I assumed (obviously wrongly!) that if they didn't have the money to offer, they wouldn't accept you. Both the POI and Admissions rep seemed optimistic that they'd be able to make me an offer, but until that point, I'm treating it as a full waitlist rather than a true acceptance (except in my signature because I'll revel in any acceptance I can get). Anyone else experienced/heard about this phenomenon before?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Rauschenbusch said:

So this is a new one for me: Got an email from my POI, followed shortly by an Admissions rep, accepting me to Washington State; they were my No. 2 choice, and that's awesome. But I've been waitlisted for a TAship. I assumed (obviously wrongly!) that if they didn't have the money to offer, they wouldn't accept you. Both the POI and Admissions rep seemed optimistic that they'd be able to make me an offer, but until that point, I'm treating it as a full waitlist rather than a true acceptance (except in my signature because I'll revel in any acceptance I can get). Anyone else experienced/heard about this phenomenon before?

It does happen.  I do strongly advise that you do not accept their offer without a full package and by that I mean at least 4-5 years of TAships, not just one year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TMP said:

It does happen.  I do strongly advise that you do not accept their offer without a full package and by that I mean at least 4-5 years of TAships, not just one year.

Oh, no worries there. I've got three kids; no way am I accepting anything that doesn't guarantee me at least some semblance of an income for the whole show!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HistoryMan1001 said:

Who's your POI , if you don't mind me asking? 

@HistoryMan1001, this is the kind of question that sends a message one doesn't want to send, especially when it is asked in the clear, if one's objective is to be known for tact and discretion.

(And asking the question privately is not, IMO, a sustainable tactic.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, IGoToWar said:

Any chance that the person working on modern Taiwanese history who posted about Wisconsin is on this board? Would like to connect. Had a similar take on the difficulty of finding programs that fit, but several faculty/departments are definitely supportive.

That would be me, made an account just to respond.

I take it you're also looking to do Taiwanese history?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, FruitLover said:

@thattaiwnanhistoryguy I'm not doing Taiwanese history but can I just say I love your nickname. Hope you end up in a good/suitable program in the end!

Thanks!

[deleted original post, too scared to discuss]

 

Edited by thattaiwnanhistoryguy
fear
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2020 at 5:10 AM, Sigaba said:

The people competing for spots today are the same people the same people who will be competing for grants, jobs, and awards for years to come.

Right now, at this moment, at least of those persons is in tremendous pain because of the uncertainty.  That person is pushing through the pain and finding a way to focus on an essential work -- an article, maybe even a monograph. And that person will do it again tomorrow, and then the next day. That same person is eventually going to get in somewhere and go on to make contributions to the historiography of modern Europe.  Why can't that person be you?

 

That was really motivational. Actually encouraged me to work on a report I need to get done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Made it onto U of Michigan's waitlist! I honestly can't believe it, that was definitely a long shot (the POI I reached out to was honest about the admissions process), and even if I don't get an offer, I'm still really excited that I wasn't outright rejected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, historyofsloths said:

I second this! I didn't even see the rejection on the Results page until you pointed it out. For what it's worth, my portal hasn't updated, so I'm assuming they received an email.

Hi friends! I am also applying Indiana. Is the portal titled "Atlas"? I cannot find the result page. Could you please tell me how to find the result page?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Salmon98 said:

Hi friends! I am also applying Indiana. Is the portal titled "Atlas"? I cannot find the result page. Could you please tell me how to find the result page?

No, here's a link to the portal: https://iugraduate.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login

Just FYI, they haven't updated the portal at all, so you'll probably receive an email soon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else heard from Indiana-Bloomington? The Graduate Director had contacted me but that was almost two weeks ago and seeing as a few decisions have gone out there and UofM I am riddled with anxiety. Those two schools are literally the only ones I'm waiting on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, futuremexicanist said:

Has anyone else heard from Indiana-Bloomington? The Graduate Director had contacted me but that was almost two weeks ago and seeing as a few decisions have gone out there and UofM I am riddled with anxiety. Those two schools are literally the only ones I'm waiting on.

For whatever reason the people who are posting their acceptances and rejections to IU aren't saying anything in the comment section, so I honestly have no idea what's going on at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, historyofsloths said:

For whatever reason the people who are posting their acceptances and rejections to IU aren't saying anything in the comment section, so I honestly have no idea what's going on at this point. 

I just want to know if the Latin American history decisions have been decided. I know some programs (like UofM) have decisions decided in separate cohorts and I assume that should be the case in other programs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, futuremexicanist said:

I just want to know if the Latin American history decisions have been decided. I know some programs (like UofM) have decisions decided in separate cohorts and I assume that should be the case in other programs.

How do you know about UoM? I'm anxiously waiting to see if I get an email today. It seems people have started receiving acceptances from UoM. I'm freaking out right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lobsterqueen said:

How do you know about UoM? I'm anxiously waiting to see if I get an email today. It seems people have started receiving acceptances from UoM. I'm freaking out right now. 

I did the MICHHERS program at UofM this past summer and spent time with the history department there and they told us how decisions were made. Everyone is separated into cohorts and decisions are made from who is in each field. Americanists decide who enters into that track vs Latin Americanists. They're accepting slightly smaller cohorts for everyone because a few years ago all accepted into the Southeast Asian field decided to attend. So while Latin American history would normally accept 6, this year my POI told me that they're accepting 1-2

Edited by futuremexicanist
Sentence structure clarity
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, futuremexicanist said:

I did the MICHHERS program at UofM this past summer and spent time with the history department there and they told us how decisions were made there. Everyone is separated into cohorts and decisions are made from who is in each field. Americanists decide who enters into that track vs Latin Americanists. They're accepting slightly smaller cohorts for everyone because a few years ago all accepted into the Southeast Asian field decided to attend. So while Latin American history would normally accept 6, this year my POI told me that they're accepting 1-2

Oh, okay, thanks for letting me know. Hoping they're still writing those acceptance emails for our fields! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly shocked I got into Michigan. I had totally lost all hope after my last rejection from Indiana Bloomington. Was late to work from getting sidetracked celebrating. 

Accepted for comparative genocide studies, US Native Americans and German Jews in contemporary society. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, histori041512 said:

Truly shocked I got into Michigan. I had totally lost all hope after my last rejection from Indiana Bloomington. Was late to work from getting sidetracked celebrating. 

Accepted for comparative genocide studies, US Native Americans and German Jews in contemporary society. 

Were you notified by both through email?

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, lobsterqueen said:

Did you have an interview btw? My field is different so I haven't lost hope yet but this wait is killing me! 

I never had an interview. One of the POIs I wanted to work with had emailed me in January (replying to a thank you email I sent) and said he was very interested. He also mentioned there were 15 spots open for this cycle, 5-6 for European history. I believe some who is currently attending Michigan has previously said the department doesn't do interviews. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.