Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, mtledm said:

The UofA just sent us an email this morning stating this about fall classes. "At this time, we anticipate our courses and labs to be delivered via a combination of approaches that best meet the learning goals for each class. These approaches include online learning, in-person learning, simulation-based labs, and observational approaches to learning". and it states they will be consulting other SLP programs in Canada. 

Hey! I'm just wondering which email this was sent to because I haven't received anything! Was it specifically from the S-LP program? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@SpeechLP2020 and @EagerSpeechie2019 thanks so much for your replies! I wasn't sure how that worked so it's a relief to know that if I do get waitlisted I'll know right away.  My guess is that

I'm so nervous! I'll let everyone know what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed 🙂🙂

Just got off the Western waitlist this morning! That means they’re into the second quadrant now for those who are still waiting! 

Posted Images

Hey guys! I was wondering whether the schools look at if your courses are upper year or first/second year courses in your final semester? These would be the ones included in a sub-gpa and I was wondering if it affected anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Meggiemoo said:

Just got off the Western waitlist this morning! That means they’re into the second quadrant now for those who are still waiting! 

Congratulations!! How do you know what quadrant you are in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gradhopeful20 said:

Hey everybody, hope you're doing well! The program at UofA has confirmed that Fall term will be completely online, I'm curious to know if any other schools have sent out any information to their students regarding their plans for the upcoming school year...

Hi gradhopeful20, 

Yes, McMaster has also confirmed that the fall semester will be completely online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 3:23 PM, gradhopeful20 said:

Hey everybody, hope you're doing well! The program at UofA has confirmed that Fall term will be completely online, I'm curious to know if any other schools have sent out any information to their students regarding their plans for the upcoming school year...

Western has confirmed that the Fall term will be primarily online but with some in-person instruction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! This was my first year applying, and I didn't quite make it off the waitlist into U of A. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with their department, would you suggest contacting someone there in any way? Would it make a difference? Would they give advice in how you may enhance your resume for applying again next year? I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the possible ways you could boost your chances (e.g., Should I focus on GPA boosting vs. experiences? Should I take more speech-specific classes on top of my undergrad that wasn't speech-specific? Etc.!). If anyone familiar with the U of A program has advice, I would gladly receive it. :) Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, _mls said:

Hey everyone! This was my first year applying, and I didn't quite make it off the waitlist into U of A. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with their department, would you suggest contacting someone there in any way? Would it make a difference? Would they give advice in how you may enhance your resume for applying again next year? I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the possible ways you could boost your chances (e.g., Should I focus on GPA boosting vs. experiences? Should I take more speech-specific classes on top of my undergrad that wasn't speech-specific? Etc.!). If anyone familiar with the U of A program has advice, I would gladly receive it. :) Thank you!

I'm in the same boat and I would also appreciate any information that may help improve my application for next year

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello! Has anyone at U of A (or applying for it) taken ANTH 354 Language & Culture at Athabasca for their Intro to Linguistics prerequisite? I'm looking to upgrade my LING 101 course (from U of A) but likely missed most deadlines, so taking it through Athabasca would be nice! How did you find it, difficulty wise? U of A does site this course as an option for the prereq; however, they have a warning underneath and I'm not sure how that works (especially if I have taken the course at U of A already).

"WARNING: If a student wishes to continue linguistics courses at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, they must be aware that the Linguistics Department in Edmonton does not accept this as an equivalent to their introductory course - Ling 101. Thus the student may be required to take Ling 101, despite having completed this course from Athabasca."

Edited by _mls
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2020 at 12:05 PM, _mls said:

Hello! Has anyone at U of A (or applying for it) taken ANTH 354 Language & Culture at Athabasca for their Intro to Linguistics prerequisite? I'm looking to upgrade my LING 101 course (from U of A) but likely missed most deadlines, so taking it through Athabasca would be nice! How did you find it, difficulty wise? U of A does site this course as an option for the prereq; however, they have a warning underneath and I'm not sure how that works (especially if I have taken the course at U of A already).

"WARNING: If a student wishes to continue linguistics courses at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, they must be aware that the Linguistics Department in Edmonton does not accept this as an equivalent to their introductory course - Ling 101. Thus the student may be required to take Ling 101, despite having completed this course from Athabasca."

I took it I found it extremely easy! I recommend it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, Danique said:

Hi everyone!

I was waitlisted for the speech program at Dalhousie for fall 2020. It’s my first time applying and I’m wondering if anyone knows how many people typically get waitlisted each year! Trying to figure out if there is any hope of getting in especially where we’re already in July. Any info would be appreciated. :)

You might still have a chance! I was offered a position off of a waitlist recently, so there is still movement happening between the schools :) 

Edited by Speeechie
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, _mls said:

Hey everyone! This was my first year applying, and I didn't quite make it off the waitlist into U of A. I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with their department, would you suggest contacting someone there in any way? Would it make a difference? Would they give advice in how you may enhance your resume for applying again next year? I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the possible ways you could boost your chances (e.g., Should I focus on GPA boosting vs. experiences? Should I take more speech-specific classes on top of my undergrad that wasn't speech-specific? Etc.!). If anyone familiar with the U of A program has advice, I would gladly receive it. :) Thank you!

Second year U of A student here. It's probably worth reaching out to Vicki to see if she has any insight. I'm not sure if they give applicant-specific info or if it's more general tips though. She also does a session at the OASIS Conference, which will be virtual this year, so I think that could be especially helpful for people outside of Edmonton to get their questions answered.

Best of luck with your experiences in the next year and on your next application.

OASIS Conference 2020: https://www.facebook.com/events/313181846380677

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.