GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

I am!

I am currently wrapping up my MPH in Applied Epi (Graduating Spring 2020).

I am applying to PhD programs in Health Behavior/Social Behavior/Behavioral Sciences. I am going to apply to about 7 schools to really open up my options. 

I'm applying to:

1. Brown University (Behavioral and Social Sciences)
2. University of California Los Angeles (Community Health Sciences)
3. University of North Carolina (Health Behavior)
4. Johns Hopkins (International Health - Social and Behavioral Interventions)
5. UMass - Amherst (Community Health Education)
6. Yale University (Social and Behavioral Sciences)
7. Harvard University (Global Health and Population - Population and Family Health)

Here's to the start of a long process 🙈😂

Wow! I am so struck by your list with all the top schools! What are your GPA and GRE scores? And what are your research interests? 

hi all! joining the roster of PhD applicants this year. Looking at Population Health programs.

Definitely applying to: Harvard PHS, JHSPH PopFam, UNC

Maybe: Tulane, UCSF

Some stats: undergrad gpa 3.17, masters 4.0, GRE 159V/163Q, 5 years experience with iNGO

Hi everyone,

I am also working to apply to two PhD programs- Harvard and Hopkins. I've been told that the GRE quant score is pretty crucial part of the application for these schools. While my verbal score is at the  93rd percentile my quant score is at the 56th percentile. I don't have time to redo the exam and honestly don't want to. Do you think it is still worth applying?

A couple professors have replied favorably and encouraged me to apply, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

20 hours ago, DSB said:

Hi everyone,

I am also working to apply to two PhD programs- Harvard and Hopkins. I've been told that the GRE quant score is pretty crucial part of the application for these schools. While my verbal score is at the  93rd percentile my quant score is at the 56th percentile. I don't have time to redo the exam and honestly don't want to. Do you think it is still worth applying?

A couple professors have replied favorably and encouraged me to apply, but I'm still not sure.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Hi - I am in a PhD program one of those two schools.  Yes-still apply. A meh quant score shouldn't hold you back from trying!

What dept/degree are you applying for? Biostats, epi, environmental health - quant might matter a bit more. Health policy, social & behavioral sciences, perhaps not as much.

Hi everybody!
So happy to be here with you!
I'm an international MD graduate, and current Epidemiology MS student in the U.S. I'm sure about applying to Harvard and Yale PhD programs, but still thinking about Emory, Michigan, Hopkins, UNC, and Tulane! Honestly, as I'm married, my biggest concern is funding package, in which Hopkins is among the weakest ones, unfortunately! Also, UNC and UW do not guarantee before acceptance! I woould be happy to discuss more about the comparison of funding packages in different schools of public health with you.

17 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

Hi everybody!
So happy to be here with you!
I'm an international MD graduate, and current Epidemiology MS student in the U.S. I'm sure about applying to Harvard and Yale PhD programs, but still thinking about Emory, Michigan, Hopkins, UNC, and Tulane! Honestly, as I'm married, my biggest concern is funding package, in which Hopkins is among the weakest ones, unfortunately! Also, UNC and UW do not guarantee before acceptance! I woould be happy to discuss more about the comparison of funding packages in different schools of public health with you.

JHSPH sent an email this year notifying that they're only accepting funded students, and I just spoke to a professor who said that the school (not just her department) is only accepting students that they can fund. Do double check when you speak to professors from the department that you're interested in. 

Hi folks, wanted to get your input on something. I have an old supervisor who wrote me a great recommendation letter (probably the best of my life!) when I applied to my masters program 8 years ago. I'm thinking of asking him to be one of my PhD recommenders again, but I worked with him so long ago. I don't think any of my newer recommenders can write a letter as well as he has, and the content of his letter highlights my research skills and capabilities very well. Do you think the admissions committee won't even consider his letter because he's a supervisor from a while back? Is it better to stick with my newer recommenders?   

Hi everyone,

I'm applying to PhD programs in policy, focus is on social policy, although not all of my top schools have this concentration. Because of this, I'm applying to international relations and urban policy programs too. It can be hard to figure out if a school is a good fit! And thinking about the many ways my life could go if I do get accepted somewhere.... it's exciting and yet anxiety producing.

Wishing us all luck!

Edited by ChooseHappily
typo

On 10/26/2019 at 8:54 AM, lolcamus said:

Hi - I am in a PhD program one of those two schools.  Yes-still apply. A meh quant score shouldn't hold you back from trying!

What dept/degree are you applying for? Biostats, epi, environmental health - quant might matter a bit more. Health policy, social & behavioral sciences, perhaps not as much.

Hi lolcamus,

Thanks for your encouraging reply. I previously applied to environmental health  (with a slightly lower score) and was rejected. This time I'm applying for Social and behavioral sciences. 

It is frustrating that institutions still look at math skills as a sign of intelligence/ indicator that a candidate will do well. I want to work mainly in qualitative and mixed methods anyway! 

Hi All,

Joined this forum to add the schools I’ve applied to:

Boston university

columbia university

nyu

cuny

jhsph

harvard social and Behavioral science

brown

emory

rutgers

The rest Epi

Has anyone submitted apps? This thread is dead and I'm feeling lonely in my anxiousness. Anyone want to share feelings of anxiety and nervousness? I've applied to USC, SDSU/UCSD, UMich, UW, UArizona, Georgia State U, and University of North Texas. All Health Behavior/Health Education/Health Promotion. Thanks!!

1 hour ago, HealthBehaviorPhD2020 said:

Has anyone submitted apps? This thread is dead and I'm feeling lonely in my anxiousness. Anyone want to share feelings of anxiety and nervousness? I've applied to USC, SDSU/UCSD, UMich, UW, UArizona, Georgia State U, and University of North Texas. All Health Behavior/Health Education/Health Promotion. Thanks!!

Omg yes! Haha. I’ve been checking the forum semi-obsessively since I submitted on Sunday night. Also experiencing a lot of anxiety/nervousness/excitement. I only applied to one program (UCLA), which I know is risky. But I can’t wait to hear back!

Any tips or tricks for handling the nerves while we wait?

On 12/6/2019 at 2:57 PM, Kendall1234 said:

Omg yes! Haha. I’ve been checking the forum semi-obsessively since I submitted on Sunday night. Also experiencing a lot of anxiety/nervousness/excitement. I only applied to one program (UCLA), which I know is risky. But I can’t wait to hear back!

Any tips or tricks for handling the nerves while we wait?

I am feeling so much anxiety. I was able to not think about my apps before they were in... Now, I am obsessively thinking about them at all times.

I only applied to three programs (Hopkins, Harvard, UCSF) because I have strange research interests and wanted a good mentor match, but I know there is a non-negligible chance I won't get in because they are such competitive programs.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, HealthBehaviorPhD2020 said:

Me, and I'm Health Behavior as well! We didn't apply for any of the same programs (so at least we won't be competing!) but I applied to JHU, UMass Amherst, Harvard, Yale, Brown, GWU, and UNC! :) 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:24 PM, HealthBehaviorPhD2020 said:

Same here! I applied to Johns Hokpins, UWashington, Harvard, and GW for global health/PHS, and Emory for epi. I am super anxious as well! I saw some people heard back right after the new year last year which I was not expexting. At least it seems we might know more sooner rather than later. Can't wait to see where everyone ends up and wishing you all the best!

Happy that this thread was somewhat revived with a few people sharing my anxiety!! Good luck to everyone. I hope everyone gets their first choice!!! The main thing is that it's out of our hands for the time being (until the interviews that is) so hopefully we can encourage each other to just breathe and get through the waiting period :)

7 hours ago, oldschoolfall2020 said:

sharing your anxiety as well, but so nice to see activity in the thread! good luck folks! 

harvard/hopkins applicants, care to share your stats?  trying to see where I stand. the anxiety is killing me. 

Undergrad GPA: 4

Grad GPA: 3.9

GRE 92-99%

Pubs: 1 in R&R, 5 in preparation 

LOR: 3 faculty. I took a class with all, am currently researching with 2

Applied: Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF Epidemiology 

Has Hopkins emailed you to confirm they recieved your application? I got an email a week ago that SOPHAS was down for them, so they couldn't download my app but saw it as verified, and were waiting on SOPHAS to fix that...

3 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

GRE 92-99%

Has Hopkins emailed you to confirm they recieved your application? I got an email a week ago that SOPHAS was down for them, so they couldn't download my app but saw it as verified, and were waiting on SOPHAS to fix that...

Wow, such a strong applicant! I got the same email from Hopkins. Haven't heard back from them since then. Which concentration in epi are you applying to?

4 hours ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

GRE 92-99%

good lord, what great stats! crushing my hopes haha 

I got an email from them 4 days ago saying that they've received my application and it has been sent to the program for review. I applied to popfam. 

1 hour ago, meatbao said:

Wow, such a strong applicant! I got the same email from Hopkins. Haven't heard back from them since then. Which concentration in epi are you applying to?

The methods track.

My quantitative metrics are balanced by limited work experience and my young age. I know several PhD programs want more work experience than I have, so my anxiety is through the roof. What track did you apply to?