GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

1 minute ago, pubhealth7 said:

Oh that's super interesting. I received a phone interview and then was invited to an in-person interview, without an offer of admission. I guess it varies by program

Super interesting. I think the chronic disease epi guys here were also told that it was only a phone/zoom interview prior to admission. Which track did you apply for?

29 minutes ago, pubhealth7 said:

Oh that's super interesting. I received a phone interview and then was invited to an in-person interview, without an offer of admission. I guess it varies by program

Congrats! Which program did you apply for, if you don't mind sharing? 

21 minutes ago, PublicHealth123 said:

Congrats! Which program did you apply for, if you don't mind sharing? 

51 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

Super interesting. I think the chronic disease epi guys here were also told that it was only a phone/zoom interview prior to admission. Which track did you apply for?

health policy

1 hour ago, leafypoet said:

Have you seen the accepted PHS result on thegradcafe?? No idea about the track! But, It’s too early compared to last years...

2 hours ago, pubhealth7 said:

health policy

Congrats! Which track did you apply for, if I may ask? And is the in-person interview part of a group visit day? Looking at the grad cafe results from the past years, I feel like with Harvard it all varies depending on the program and even specific tracks. E.g. there was a guy who mentioned having 3-4 interviews for the health Econ track.   

3 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

Have you seen the accepted PHS result on thegradcafe?? No idea about the track! But, It’s too early compared to last years...

I did! It looks like the admitted student is a pharmacist, so I would wager that they were on the pharmacoepidemiology track. I think by last year's dates, decisions are released first week of February. This may have been an early admission for a particularly outstanding candidate?

16 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

I did! It looks like the admitted student is a pharmacist, so I would wager that they were on the pharmacoepidemiology track. I think by last year's dates, decisions are released first week of February. This may have been an early admission for a particularly outstanding candidate?

maybe,  I think so! But,  last year,  all tracks decisions had been sent at the same date I think. 

14 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

maybe,  I think so! But,  last year,  all tracks decisions had been sent at the same date I think. 

Ah, I see. Well, if that's the case, it looks like I've missed out. Oh well - I really did try my best. Hopefully others here are more successful. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you all :)!

3 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

Ah, I see. Well, if that's the case, it looks like I've missed out. Oh well - I really did try my best. Hopefully others here are more successful. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you all :)!

Nooo don’t lose your hope

just one result cannot be convincing at all

Maybe he or she is just informed by an informal email from a PI in the track.

I think we should expect to hear the results next week. What’s up with your other choices?

I was in Baltimore this morning for JHU interview. It was more formal than Harvard and Brown. No idea about it! 
The only thing that I know is that I’m really frustrated and devastated. It’s now 2 weeks from the beginning of my spring semester, couldn’t study or do any assignment because of the stress for Ph.D. admissions 🤦‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Nooo don’t lose your hope

just one result cannot be convincing at all

Maybe he or she is just informed by an informal email from a PI in the track.

I think we should expect to hear the results next week. What’s up with your other choices?

I was in Baltimore this morning for JHU interview. It was more formal than Harvard and Brown. No idea about it! 
The only thing that I know is that I’m really frustrated and devastated. It’s now 2 weeks from the beginning of my spring semester, couldn’t study or do any assignment because of the stress for Ph.D. admissions 🤦‍♂️ 

How did the JHU interview go? Was it just with one professor? Population Health scheduled interviews for half day, 3 professors and 1 grad student. Soooo long! 

I hear you! So stressed that I keep refreshing this page every hour for any new comments. I hope you get good news soon! 

13 minutes ago, oldschoolfall2020 said:

How did the JHU interview go? Was it just with one professor? Population Health scheduled interviews for half day, 3 professors and 1 grad student. Soooo long! 

I hear you! So stressed that I keep refreshing this page every hour for any new comments. I hope you get good news soon! 

It was just 1 hour with 1 professor. He told that results would be posted mid to late February.
thanks for your sympathy :) I just hope that these days pass as soon as possible. I feel really overwhelmed. Best wishes for you too.

Edited by MDMS2020

34 minutes ago, EpiApp20 said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm having my first interview this week and I am completely nervous. What are some general things that I should be ready to talk about and should expect to hear? I've been trying to figure out ways to prepare myself for them or at least calm my nerves a bit. 

I was SO nervous for my first one too! I promise it’s way better than you think it’ll be. Remember, they also want to sell you on their program, so they want you to love them as much as you want them to love you 😊

Questions I’ve gotten a lot include “Tell me about yourself”, “Why do you want to do a PhD”, What are your research interests”, “If you could choose your dissertation topic what would it be”, “what methodology do you prefer”, “what are your strengths and weaknesses”, and “what are your career goals”. 

Make sure to have questions for your interviewers too! For admissions committee members I like to ask “What makes this program unique”, and “how does the department support students financially”. For potential mentors, I like to ask “what is your mentorship style”, and “what do you look for in a prospective advisee”. 

I hope this helps! You’re gonna knock it out of the park 😊

54 minutes ago, EpiApp20 said:

Hey everyone, 

I'm having my first interview this week and I am completely nervous. What are some general things that I should be ready to talk about and should expect to hear? I've been trying to figure out ways to prepare myself for them or at least calm my nerves a bit. 

A part of your answer would depend on the place that you have interview. I had three different experiences in three programs. But, overall,  its not something to be worried about. Just sleep enough,  and dont forget to smile! :)

On 1/24/2020 at 3:57 PM, zmobiedick said:

I had my interview with UNC earlier this month. They didn't ask much about my background (I got the impression they had thoroughly read the application and knew I had the "credentials" - grades, professional/research experience, etc.) and were more interested in how I would fit with the program (in particular) and with a doctoral degree (generally). Questions were along the lines of: "Why do you want a PhD? What kind of research do you want to do in this program? What do you want to do after/why do you need a PhD to do it?" One question that would've thrown me for a loop if a colleague hadn't predicted it being asked was "What is a challenge you expect to face in the program?"

Also, come prepared with questions of your own - how the cohorts get along, what collaboration looks like in the department, what other schools/departments on campus are worth exploring, what culture/social life is like in the area, etc.

And remember that as much as you're competing for a slot, schools are competing for you, too. Be confident!

Congrats! Mind sharing which department you applied to? Anxiously awaiting a reply from the UNC MCH department...

Good morning! Anyone want to claim the Johns Hopkins Health, Behavior, and Society acceptance?

Did you interview? and of course, congratulations! :)

Hi everyone! I know people are on edge this time of app season, but I love to see all of the great news, and for anyone still waiting, I'm sure something great is coming your way. I am rooting for you!

Is anyone else attending admitted students day for USC Health Behavior Research on Feb 13th? Wanted to see if I can virtually meet anyone that may be attending. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Eagerly waiting to hear one word from BU and Penn State!

Same here, but only for BU. Why they are so slow???!!!

11 minutes ago, MDMS2020 said:

Eagerly waiting to hear one word from BU and Penn State!

BU. I got an email advertising a deans talk from them yesterday.

i was like really???? no response at all but this?