GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

I am slightly freaking out. I have yet to hear back from Columbia and JHU epi.

I email both institutions, but only Columbia responded and said they are still reviewing my application. WHAT DOES IT MEAN! :( 

Is this a bad sign? I keep refreshing my email and checking the portals.

Edited by kgarciar

1 minute ago, kgarciar said:

I am slightly freaking out (verge of a mental breakdown). I have yet to hear back from Columbia and JHU epi.

I email both institutions, but only Columbia responded and said they are still reviewing my application. WHAT DOES IT MEAN! :( 

Are you waiting to hear back about the Sociomedical Program from Columbia?

4 minutes ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Are you waiting to hear back about the Sociomedical Program from Columbia?

No, I applied for the Substance Use Epi unit. 

5 minutes ago, kgarciar said:

I am slightly freaking out (verge of a mental breakdown). I have yet to hear back from Columbia and JHU epi.

I know the feeling! I emailed the administrator for UCLA as well and haven't gotten a response. I don't know if I should take it as a passive rejection, or if I should still hold onto hope that they're in the review process. I just want to know at this point.

I think it's actually a good sign that Columbia told you they're still reviewing! But I get how frustrating it feels right now. 

7 hours ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Hi everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone received anything from Columbia- Sociomedical Sciences, NYU- Global Public Health, GW or UIC- MCH? I already received rejections from UNC- MCH & Hopkins- International Health 😞😞

Hey, I interviewed with GW but not sure which program you are asking about? 

Did you hear from UNC-MCH for PhD? Could I ask what the email said about all decisions? I'm waiting to hear from them desperately!

7 minutes ago, sleepycat123 said:

Was accepted to UNC MCH today! Was rejected from the same program last year, so there's always hope for those who didn't get into their top choice programs :). Good luck everyone!! 

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news! I am sure that's an amazing feeling after what I'm sure was a sting last year! Thank you for sharing the news with us :)

2 hours ago, epidemiology_fall2020 said:

Has anyone gotten into Pitt? Was hoping to discuss their funding with someone. All of the emails seem extremely discouraging on this subject. 

During my BCHS interview, we chatted quite a bit about funding: process, timeline, year-to-year changes, extra funding opportunities. I'm not sure how it varies from department to department within the school, but feel free to DM me, I'd be happy to discuss and share what I know.

29 minutes ago, sleepycat123 said:

Was accepted to UNC MCH today! Was rejected from the same program last year, so there's always hope for those who didn't get into their top choice programs :). Good luck everyone!! 

Congratulations! This gives me hope as I was rejected from them today. 

26 minutes ago, GlobalHealthPhD2020 said:

Congratulations that is incredible!! Was it through a department email or through your PI? :) Still have my fingers crossed for BSHS!

First, I received an email from a professor (not my POI), and 1 hour later, received an email from Brown GSAS to login and check the admission result.

24 minutes ago, Kendall1234 said:

Ahhhh! I got into UCLA’s HPM program! I am beyond thrilled. I was getting SO nervous. This is my THIRD time applying to doctoral programs and I’ve been working in research for 8 years. YAY!

Sooo happy for you. Congrats 👍👍 Honestly, I was thinking a lot of times about your situation because you had just applied to one program, so risky, but it worked, fantastic👌

37 minutes ago, Kendall1234 said:

Ahhhh! I got into UCLA’s HPM program! I am beyond thrilled. I was getting SO nervous. This is my THIRD time applying to doctoral programs and I’ve been working in research for 8 years. YAY!

Congratulations!!!

23 hours ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Hi everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone received anything from Columbia- Sociomedical Sciences, NYU- Global Public Health, GW or UIC- MCH? I already received rejections from UNC- MCH & Hopkins- International Health 😞😞

Hi! I also applied to the NYU, GW, & Columbia programs and have not yet heard back.  Also haven't heard anything official from Harvard. I saw that someone was accepted and another rejected by Columbia yesterday.  Someone also received a waitlist notification from Harvard yesterday. So all in the right timing I assume I'll hear back 😀 I've been accepted to two programs now and had interviews (scheduled) with a few others, so I'm along for the ride! Stay encouraged everybody- there's still NINE weeks left until April 15th!

On a different note, I've been loving the names!! @LisaNucar your name has had me laughing! And @Soychorizo and @leafypoet I'm a vegetarian, so I've been loving your names from the start haha. Happy for our little community!

On 2/6/2020 at 11:19 AM, EpiApp20 said:

Hope everyone's interviews are going well. Just had a general question, on average how long did it take to hear back from your program after your interview?

I think it depends on the program, but the two schools I was accepted at- I heard back within a week after my interview.  Many other programs may have a much more extended timeline.  I think it internally depends on the overall purpose of the interview (to understand your research foci, to see if you are a good fit, or just to be sure that you are actually real and can speak about the topics you mentioned in your SOP).  I wish you the best of luck :)

Edited by midwesternbelle

17 hours ago, kgarciar said:

I am slightly freaking out. I have yet to hear back from Columbia and JHU epi.

I don't think this is a bad sign about Columbia- their academic calendar is different (starting back up later) than a few other unis.  Many schools have their own internal review/acceptance process.  According to the results page, two Sociomedical sciences candidates heard back yesterday- one acceptance and one rejection.  And last year, people were still receiving acceptances from Columbia in early/mid March.  I'm in the same waiting boat you are, but we've got this :)

Edited by midwesternbelle

1 hour ago, Kendall1234 said:

OMG I KNOW YOU WERE WAITING FOR THIS!!!! It is happening peopleeee :)