GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

2 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

After four rejections in a row, received a Yes from Brown! 

1 hour ago, Kendall1234 said:

Ahhhh! I got into UCLA’s HPM program! I am beyond thrilled. I was getting SO nervous. This is my THIRD time applying to doctoral programs and I’ve been working in research for 8 years. YAY!

16 hours ago, sleepycat123 said:

Was accepted to UNC MCH today! Was rejected from the same program last year, so there's always hope for those who didn't get into their top choice programs :). Good luck everyone!! 

YES!!!!!! high fives all around!!!!!! :)

Good news from coast to coast!!! May it good news keep coming to all of us!!!!

@Kendall1234 your post actually made me cheer out loud! three years!! that is incredible!!!! UCLA is lucky to have you!!

1 hour ago, midwesternbelle said:

I don't think this is a bad sign about Columbia- their academic calendar is different (starting back up later) than a few other unis.  Many schools have their own internal review/acceptance process.  According to the results page, two Sociomedical sciences candidates heard back yesterday- one acceptance and one rejection.  And last year, people were still receiving acceptances from Columbia in early/mid March.  I'm in the same waiting boat you are, but we've got this :)

Thank you for your response, it definitely made me feel better that I am not alone. Lets keep the positive energy! :)

Also, as an FYI for anyone who this may help, you can defer admissions to Columbia by one year. I just emailed admissions and they let me know this is an option today. I have an offer for a one year NIH fellowship that I am going to take (after learning this) and just wait to see if I get a spot at Columbia I can defer. **Still waiting to hear from JHU is they allow deferment. 

2 hours ago, Kendall1234 said:

Ahhhh! I got into UCLA’s HPM program! I am beyond thrilled. I was getting SO nervous. This is my THIRD time applying to doctoral programs and I’ve been working in research for 8 years. YAY!

AMAZING!!!! Congrats :) 

Wishing all the success! 

For anyone else waiting on JHU Epi department. Admissions just let me know that they are still in the process of reviewing application and that decision will not be made for a few weeks. Only 6-8 new students are being accepted. They do not do admission deferment. 

Columbia Epi department will be sending decisions late February and they do admission deferment.

Hope this is helpful to anyone! :) Good luck!

3 minutes ago, thatphdguy said:

Just received an acceptance letter for the BSHS program at Brown! It was my top choice, so I am absolutely thrilled!

Best of luck to everyone waiting for a response!

Yesss, Congratulations ✌️ See you in Brown :) 

5 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

Amazing!!! Congratulations!!!

5 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

4 hours ago, Kendall1234 said:

Congratulations!!! So amazing!!!

4 hours ago, midwesternbelle said:

Hi! I also applied to the NYU, GW, & Columbia programs and have not yet heard back.  Also haven't heard anything official from Harvard. I saw that someone was accepted and another rejected by Columbia yesterday.  Someone also received a waitlist notification from Harvard yesterday. So all in the right timing I assume I'll hear back 😀 I've been accepted to two programs now and had interviews (scheduled) with a few others, so I'm along for the ride! Stay encouraged everybody- there's still NINE weeks left until April 15th!

On a different note, I've been loving the names!! @LisaNucar your name has had me laughing! And @Soychorizo and @leafypoet I'm a vegetarian, so I've been loving your names from the start haha. Happy for our little community!

Thank you so much for this info!! 

40 minutes ago, thatphdguy said:

Just received an acceptance letter for the BSHS program at Brown! It was my top choice, so I am absolutely thrilled!

Best of luck to everyone waiting for a response!

This is amazing congratulations!! 🥳 was it on the portal or from your POI?!

Edited by GlobalHealthPhD2020

Congrats to everyone who has gotten into their dream program! 

I have a question for those who have been through this process already (or, if you're a first-time applicant and have some insight, I'd love that, too). I had interviewed with Harvard and am in the running for funding at Other School I am Really Excited About, which I will call AwesomeFit (funding seems really competitive, so I'd rather not disclose which at this time). My POI at AwesomeFit asked how things were going application wise and where I was in my process when we chatted about writing up my fellowship application, and I let her know that AwesomeFit and Harvard were the two programs I was considering most seriously, and I was very, very interested in AwesomeFit (she was frank with me about funding situation, so I thought I'd be open with her about my situation). I am accepted to the program, but I cannot go unless I am funded. I officially got my rejection from Harvard (interviewed, but I actually think AwesomeFit is a better fit, so I am all right with it). I am not sure whether it is a good idea to update my POI at AwesomeFit to let her know that I am no longer considering Harvard. I am not sure that letting her know will improve my chances of getting Fellowship. Has anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it? Many thanks! 

PS: to clarify -- I helped write my fellowship application, but POI actually nominated me for it and turned it in on my behalf, aka applied for funding for me. It's just the fellowship is, as everything else PhD, competitive and not a sure thing

Edited by NotaBene

On 2/2/2020 at 10:47 AM, HealthPolicyEconPhD said:

No, not since my interview with faculty in Jan. I believe they said they would release decisions early February, so we're in the home stretch!

Have you heard anything yet? 

Congrats to all on your acceptances! 

Edited by PHPractitioner

8 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

I have a question for those who have been through this process already (or, if you're a first-time applicant and have some insight, I'd love that, too). I had interviewed with Harvard and am in the running for funding at Other School I am Really Excited About, which I will call AwesomeFit (funding seems really competitive, so I'd rather not disclose which at this time). My POI at AwesomeFit asked how things were going application wise and where I was in my process when we chatted about writing up my fellowship application, and I let her know that AwesomeFit and Harvard were the two programs I was considering most seriously, and I was very, very interested in AwesomeFit (she was frank with me about funding situation, so I thought I'd be open with her about my situation). I am accepted to the program, but I cannot go unless I am funded. I officially got my rejection from Harvard (interviewed, but I actually think AwesomeFit is a better fit, so I am all right with it). I am not sure whether it is a good idea to update my POI at AwesomeFit to let her know that I am no longer considering Harvard. I am not sure that letting her know will improve my chances of getting Fellowship. Has anyone been in this situation? How did you handle it? Many thanks! 

Although a delicate situation, and one I have not been in, I don't think someone can go wrong with being completely transparent about the whole process (something which is not afforded to us applicants). The professors at Harvard were very upfront with me regarding the difficulties re: research funding for international students, and I believe I was treated very fairly by them. I would tell your POI at AwesomeFit that you would be very grateful for their support as you apply for this fellowship. 

6 minutes ago, leafypoet said:

Although a delicate situation, and one I have not been in, I don't think someone can go wrong with being completely transparent about the whole process (something which is not afforded to us applicants). The professors at Harvard were very upfront with me regarding the difficulties re: research funding for international students, and I believe I was treated very fairly by them. I would tell your POI at AwesomeFit that you would be very grateful for their support as you apply for this fellowship. 

Thanks so much for your thoughts! Sorry, to clarify -- I helped write my fellowship application, but POI actually nominated me for it and turned it in on my behalf, aka applied for funding for me. It's just the fellowship is, as everything else PhD, competitive and not a sure thing.

Edited by NotaBene

23 hours ago, epidemiology_fall2020 said:

Has anyone gotten into Pitt? Was hoping to discuss their funding with someone. All of the emails seem extremely discouraging on this subject. 

Hi there, I got into pitt epi. It is pretty standard for them to be very ambiguous on funding, at least this year, from everything I have received and gathered (and from their website). I emailed to ask for more info regarding funding timeline, and was told that they are figuring out who will/won't get funding and will be back in touch sometime in early March with options (or lack thereof). I am also talking to their program person to gather more info about the school and the funding situation as well. I hope this helps! You are not alone in this! It seems pretty tough out there funding-wise; keep strong! Someone told me I have a lot of guts for putting myself out there in applying to PhD programs, and I think that is true, for me and everyone else going through the app process!

Edited by NotaBene

22 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

Thanks so much for your thoughts! Sorry, to clarify -- I helped write my fellowship application, but POI actually nominated me for it and turned it in on my behalf, aka applied for funding for me. It's just the fellowship is, as everything else PhD, competitive and not a sure thing.

Fair enough. What do you think you would lose by telling your POI at AwesomeFit that you were only considering their program now?

40 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

Hi there, I got into pitt epi. It is pretty standard for them to be very ambiguous on funding, at least this year, from everything I have received and gathered (and from their website). I emailed to ask for more info regarding funding timeline, and was told that they are figuring out who will/won't get funding and will be back in touch sometime in early March with options (or lack thereof). I am also talking to their program person to gather more info about the school and the funding situation as well. I hope this helps! You are not alone in this! It seems pretty tough out there funding-wise; keep strong! Someone told me I have a lot of guts for putting myself out there in applying to PhD programs, and I think that is true, for me and everyone else going through the app process!

I didn't apply there, but talked with a current student. She told me last year just a very few number become funded by school's fellowship. In fact, the majority of their PhD students succeed in receiving funding through doing RAship for the faculty who have personal grants. I think you should approach to their faculty one by one to find a mentor with personal grants. 

Edited by MDMS2020

54 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

PS: to clarify -- I helped write my fellowship application, but POI actually nominated me for it and turned it in on my behalf, aka applied for funding for me. It's just the fellowship is, as everything else PhD, competitive and not a sure thing

I actually don't know that I would tell them just yet. Funding is often a bargaining chip that programs have for recruiting top students (like you :)), much like salaries in competing job offers. It's absolutely good to be transparent and honest if they ask. But I would wait until they do. 

43 minutes ago, PHPractitioner said:

This waiting game is tough. Hopefully we will know more early next week! 

Speaking of the devil! I got a rejection email from UW just 10 minutes ago. I hope your decision was more favorable :)

19 minutes ago, HealthPolicyEconPhD said:

Speaking of the devil! I got a rejection email from UW just 10 minutes ago. I hope your decision was more favorable :)

Sorry to hear that! I had the same outcome, unfortunately.