GlobalHealthPhD2020

PhD Applicants: Fall 2020

14 minutes ago, PHPractitioner said:

Sorry to hear that! I had the same outcome, unfortunately. 

Aww, too bad. I hope you get some other acceptances and can brush this off your shoulder. It's nice that UW mentioned someone to email about any questions you have about your application decision. We might get some good feedback that way..

Edited by HealthPolicyEconPhD

I'm pretty new to this website and let me say the stress it has caused me. Congrats to everyone on receiving your acceptances. I'm still waiting to hear from Brown, UMass Amherst, University Illinois Chicago, and Boston University rejected from the others. For those accepted to Brown did you get emailed, also when was your interview day? Best of luck to all.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:58 PM, HealthBehaviorPhD2020 said:

Just got this message from USC Health Behavior Research program omg!!! Anyone else apply and hear from USC?

You have been admitted to our Health Behavior Research Program at the University of Southern California.

Please let us know if you will be accepting our offer.  Our next step is the invitation to visit us either for the day. There will be an opportunity for you to meet our faculty

and the other admitted students. We provide an all-expenses paid visit for each person selected.

We are waiting upon confirmation of the date. It will be sometime near the end of January or very early February. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Wow... Jan 13... 

Just received rejection from Harvard... not that I was expecting any better. Had not reached out to anyone there. Had not even tried to find out mentors to push my application. Did not know that was a thing! Anyway. Hope the other applications work out... sigh...

19 hours ago, MDMS2020 said:

I didn't apply there, but talked with a current student. She told me last year just a very few number become funded by school's fellowship. In fact, the majority of their PhD students succeed in receiving funding through doing RAship for the faculty who have personal grants. I think you should approach to their faculty one by one to find a mentor with personal grants. 

Thanks for the info!

19 hours ago, Kendall1234 said:

I actually don't know that I would tell them just yet. Funding is often a bargaining chip that programs have for recruiting top students (like you :)), much like salaries in competing job offers. It's absolutely good to be transparent and honest if they ask. But I would wait until they do. 

This is what I was thinking about in hesitating to mention it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think this is probably a good call - tell them if they ask, otherwise just wait with fingers crossed.

19 hours ago, leafypoet said:

Fair enough. What do you think you would lose by telling your POI at AwesomeFit that you were only considering their program now?

Kendall1234 captured my thoughts well - schools' bargaining chip is funding, and applicants' is being wanted by more than one place. Ugh, looking forward to this process concluding, one way or another!! 

4 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Just received rejection from Harvard... not that I was expecting any better. Had not reached out to anyone there. Had not even tried to find out mentors to push my application. Did not know that was a thing! Anyway. Hope the other applications work out... sigh...

If it makes you feel any better, I tried reaching out and they told me they don't talk to people before applications are submitted (because they are so busy). I do know someone who was able to talk to them prior to submitting an app, but I also know his supervisor knew the faculty really really well, which would make a difference in that case, I guess. I did think the process was pretty fair in terms of their considering everyone who applies (and throughout) -- at least from what I can tell. But generally, yeah, helpful to talk to anyone who will talk to you. And I have to hand it to Harvard for letting me know that they had a process whereby they did not talk to people ahead of time and taking the time to respond to tell me. I wound up not applying to a few schools because no one responded to my emails, which I took as a bad sign. Contacting folks can be a good way to gather some info ahead of time to even help you decide whether to apply. 

33 minutes ago, NotaBene said:

If it makes you feel any better, I tried reaching out and they told me they don't talk to people before applications are submitted (because they are so busy). I do know someone who was able to talk to them prior to submitting an app, but I also know his supervisor knew the faculty really really well, which would make a difference in that case, I guess. I did think the process was pretty fair in terms of their considering everyone who applies (and throughout) -- at least from what I can tell. But generally, yeah, helpful to talk to anyone who will talk to you. And I have to hand it to Harvard for letting me know that they had a process whereby they did not talk to people ahead of time and taking the time to respond to tell me. I wound up not applying to a few schools because no one responded to my emails, which I took as a bad sign. Contacting folks can be a good way to gather some info ahead of time to even help you decide whether to apply. 

For folks looking to apply to Harvard in future years, please do consider reaching out to faculty before applications are due. I messaged faculty of interest in August and was able to speak with 3 of them over Skype before applying. 

57 minutes ago, GradApp2020 said:

For folks looking to apply to Harvard in future years, please do consider reaching out to faculty before applications are due. I messaged faculty of interest in August and was able to speak with 3 of them over Skype before applying. 

I actually had a different experience about reaching out, maybe it depends on which track? I was applying to the SBS track and tried to reach out to two faculty memebrs. I feel my interests match with theirs pretty well, and one of them wrote a positive commentary to one of my publications. I didnt get a chance to talk to either of them. However, I have had informative conversations with their current students and researchers. I also think that their process is pretty fair and appreciate they sent out rejections already to stop me wondering lol. Congratulations to all who got in!

On 2/6/2020 at 8:52 PM, PhDtwenty said:

Hey, I interviewed with GW but not sure which program you are asking about? 

Did you hear from UNC-MCH for PhD? Could I ask what the email said about all decisions? I'm waiting to hear from them desperately!

Hey! I applied to the Social Behavioral Health program at GW. I heard from UNC-MCH on Tuesday or Wednesday and the email  just said the generic thank you for applying but unfortunately we cannot offer you admissions blah blah 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, scepticemia said:

Wow... Jan 13... 

Sorry, were you waiting on them? As far as I know they aren't finished sending acceptances yet. There is an admitted students day this coming Thursday, but none of us had to officially accept the offer, so it's possible a few people either won't jive with their potential advisor or might have been offered better perks elsewhere and won't decide to attend USC. Stay positive I'm sure something great is coming your way.

2 hours ago, MNCH Hopeful said:

Hey! I applied to the Social Behavioral Health program at GW. I heard from UNC-MCH on Tuesday or Wednesday and the email  just said the generic thank you for applying but unfortunately we cannot offer you admissions blah blah 

Oh okay, I interviewed with the Social and Behavioral Sciences program earlier this week. But no updates since then.

Still haven't heard anything from UNC-MCH.

5 hours ago, PhDtwenty said:

Oh okay, I interviewed with the Social and Behavioral Sciences program earlier this week. But no updates since then.

Still haven't heard anything from UNC-MCH.

Ah ok. I’m assuming if I haven’t heard anything by now for an interview then it’s most likely bad news for GW. 

On 1/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, leafypoet said:

Just got a JHU interview for ID epi, for anyone else interested.

This is one of my positions of interest as well. I am an international applicant. Did you get an email from Fran Burman afterwards, with a link to their department video? 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:29 PM, Addie444 said:

Yeah you guessed it, my research interest is very specific. I have been doing tuberculosis research for 3+ years since graduating undergrad and I am interested in looking at co-infections/co-morbidities associated with tuberculosis. I want to understand how TB pathogenesis and epidemiology is altered when the patient is infected with HIV, diabetes, etc. BU was the only place that had strong TB research whereas other places were more HIV and malaria focused. 

If you are OK working in Canada, you could connect with Dr. Madhukar Pai at McGill...

On 2/3/2020 at 3:03 PM, ms26 said:

I actually just got an email that my application has been recommended for admission to the graduate division, so I'm guessing I'll get an official letter in the next week or so? I applied to the epidemiology department though, I'm not sure if the other departments are starting to release decisions or not yet!

Best of luck, I hope you hear good news soon!!

Congratulations! That is an amazing program!!!

On 2/6/2020 at 6:34 PM, kgarciar said:

I am slightly freaking out. I have yet to hear back from Columbia and JHU epi.

I email both institutions, but only Columbia responded and said they are still reviewing my application. WHAT DOES IT MEAN! :( 

Is this a bad sign? I keep refreshing my email and checking the portals.

I thought it was a good thing if programs claimed to be reviewing my application... is it not? :(

On 2/6/2020 at 8:24 PM, sleepycat123 said:

Was accepted to UNC MCH today! Was rejected from the same program last year, so there's always hope for those who didn't get into their top choice programs :). Good luck everyone!! 

Congratulations! For those of us who are staring down the barrel, please tell us what you did differently, or how did you improve your application this time around?

On 2/7/2020 at 10:19 AM, MDMS2020 said:

After four rejections in a row, received a Yes from Brown! 

Wow... congratulations!!!!

On 2/7/2020 at 4:00 PM, thatphdguy said:

Just received an acceptance letter for the BSHS program at Brown! It was my top choice, so I am absolutely thrilled!

Best of luck to everyone waiting for a response!

Congratulations!!!

On 2/8/2020 at 12:59 PM, NotaBene said:

Thanks for mentioning this... quite helpful. However, in the GSAS application, there was a page where they had explicitly asked to mention 3 faculty members with whom my research interests were well aligned, and 3 faculty members with whom I had reached out to discuss about my research interests. I had not reached out to anyone... so I left the second question blank. This seems to me their way of either making sure that people we talked to were not reviewing our applications, or they were trying to find a best fit for us. Not sure which though... 

10 hours ago, HealthBehaviorPhD2020 said:

Sorry, were you waiting on them? As far as I know they aren't finished sending acceptances yet. There is an admitted students day this coming Thursday, but none of us had to officially accept the offer, so it's possible a few people either won't jive with their potential advisor or might have been offered better perks elsewhere and won't decide to attend USC. Stay positive I'm sure something great is coming your way.

Thanks for the positive message... but unfortunately, I am on the verge of giving up on all of this for this year...

Information based on interactions about JHU Epi with people there:

1. They reviewed almost 300 serious applications for their 14 positions. 

2. They have a shortlist of around 70 candidates from amongst the 300. 

3. There is no fixed or pre-decided number of positions per track for the 14 positions.

4. They will try and find a good research matched mentor in the department for selected students. So, it seems reaching out to faculty and gauging their interests in our work would be a good way to go forward? 

5. All students will receive tuition waivers, health insurance. Stipends would be based on RA/TA positions and there are no guarantees. 

6. Departmental meetings are scheduled for this week to deliberate on the list. In addition to 14 offers, there will be about 10 applicants who will be waitlisted.

7. Usually 50-60% of candidates who are offered accept the position; there is usually some movement in the waiting list - but this is from previous years when tuition waivers were not available for everyone.

8. Selections will be done in the next day or two, and emails will follow.

Not sure if this helps, just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is going stir crazy waiting for things to move...

2 hours ago, scepticemia said:

3. There is no fixed or pre-decided number of positions per track for the 14 positions.

4. They will try and find a good research matched mentor in the department for selected students. So, it seems reaching out to faculty and gauging their interests in our work would be a good way to go forward? 

5. All students will receive tuition waivers, health insurance. Stipends would be based on RA/TA positions and there are no guarantees. 

6. Departmental meetings are scheduled for this week to deliberate on the list. In addition to 14 offers, there will be about 10 applicants who will be waitlisted.

7. Usually 50-60% of candidates who are offered accept the position; there is usually some movement in the waiting list - but this is from previous years when tuition waivers were not available for everyone.

Not sure if this helps, just wanted to put it out there in case anyone else is going stir crazy waiting for things to move...

Such a fantastic set of information 👍 I’m almost done with my decision, but still curious to know what will happen with Hopkins! 
I’m just sure that it’s not reasonable to accept any offer with doubt about funding. PhD by itself can be sometimes frustrating, but with funding-related concerns, it might become a nightmare!

1 hour ago, MDMS2020 said:

Such a fantastic set of information 👍 I’m almost done with my decision, but still curious to know what will happen with Hopkins! 
I’m just sure that it’s not reasonable to accept any offer with doubt about funding. PhD by itself can be sometimes frustrating, but with funding-related concerns, it might become a nightmare!

That is so true! I also enquired about consultancy work - something which I have been thinking of picking up with WHO on the side - if possible. They said 9 weeks of leave + 20 hours per week. This is a suggested limit, not enforced if students can meet the parameters of academic excellence expected of them. 

10 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Thank you, this is super helpful! Does this mean that we should hear back this week? 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, beiwo07 said:

I actually had a different experience about reaching out, maybe it depends on which track? I was applying to the SBS track and tried to reach out to two faculty memebrs. I feel my interests match with theirs pretty well, and one of them wrote a positive commentary to one of my publications. I didnt get a chance to talk to either of them. However, I have had informative conversations with their current students and researchers. I also think that their process is pretty fair and appreciate they sent out rejections already to stop me wondering lol. Congratulations to all who got in!

I applied to SBS as well -- and based on my friend who was able to connect with someone (he applied a few cycles ago, in the global track) and this, that does make me think that the departments handle things differently. 

On 2/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, GradApp2020 said:

Seems like it varies by track, but I second that it is always a good idea to try to connect with profs. I was not able to connect with profs, but they did acknowledge that I wrote, which I think is good and which I perceived as good enough attention to keep me interested in applying, and they referred me to a current student, with whom I connected and from whom I gleaned some really helpful information about the program. The info. from her helped me frame my essay further and helped me determine that the program was, in fact, one in which I was very interested.

12 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Thanks for mentioning this... quite helpful. However, in the GSAS application, there was a page where they had explicitly asked to mention 3 faculty members with whom my research interests were well aligned, and 3 faculty members with whom I had reached out to discuss about my research interests. I had not reached out to anyone... so I left the second question blank. This seems to me their way of either making sure that people we talked to were not reviewing our applications, or they were trying to find a best fit for us. Not sure which though... 

This is my first time applying to PhD programs, and the process has been a weird/somewhat cryptic one. What I have learned so far from it is to take the info from the website with a grain of salt and always confirm with a human whenever possible. Also, things change from year to year. I was frustrated about the 3 professor thing with Harvard because the application specifically said to choose no more than 3, and then my interviewer asked me for more names of faculty beyond the three I would have liked to work with. I found this frustrating because I had definitely thought of more people, but that list had gotten buried away because they seemed to want us to only have 3. Also, the website says plain and clear that they do not do interviews, and they definitely do interviews. For another school, I was told I was doing an interview but then found out during said interview that I was accepted, but funding wasn't a sure thing - so the interview was instead a discussion on how to try to get me funded. This was a pleasant surprise, of course, but confirmed for me that the wording of a lot of these official notices, correspondences, and websites is definitely not as carefully crafted as I might have thought, and that it's best to just try to gather as much info as possible and ask lots of questions!! 

For Harvard, my interviewers were 2 of 3 of my POIs, which I put down as both having reached out to (even though they said they couldn't talk, I did reach out) and which I put down as my preferred mentors. I think mine happened to be on the admissions committee, but also I am sure that they consider prof. availability to mentor x students in deciding who should be admitted. At the end of the day, though, who really knows? I've learned a lot from this process and second someone else's question for second-timers -- what did you do differently that you think helped you the second time around? I hope not to have to go through this process again, but if funding doesn't come through, might need to!

9 hours ago, scepticemia said:

That is so true! I also enquired about consultancy work - something which I have been thinking of picking up with WHO on the side - if possible. They said 9 weeks of leave + 20 hours per week. This is a suggested limit, not enforced if students can meet the parameters of academic excellence expected of them. 

I didn’t get your point. Can you elaborate on that? JHU expects 20 hours commitment even if they don’t provide funding? 
or it was the WHO expectation?

As an international student, how can we work off-campus (like WHO)?

14 hours ago, scepticemia said:

Thanks for all the helpful information! I saw that someone in the forum was invited for an interview already on 1/30/2020 for the ID track (I applied for this one too). What are your thoughts on that / do you know if that was to get on the shortlist? Thanks!

46 minutes ago, kgarciar said:

Thanks for all the helpful information! I saw that someone in the forum was invited for an interview already on 1/30/2020 for the ID track (I applied for this one too). What are your thoughts on that / do you know if that was to get on the shortlist? Thanks!

I think JHU requires an interview, according to their website. So I think folks like me who were not contacted have not made the short list. I'm assuming I will be rejected after acceptances go out.

7 minutes ago, hopeful2020PhD said:

I think JHU requires an interview, according to their website. So I think folks like me who were not contacted have not made the short list. I'm assuming I will be rejected after acceptances go out.

We are on the same boat then. 😐